The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #101
maxxxy

Re: project Bad Karma

Yes sir!! I'm in the Norman area. Keep up the creativity man!

-Max

Max's bagged 81

81 rcsb bagged, 22s, build in progress
09 ext cab, 24" U2's, DD sub/amp
maxxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:16 AM   #102
kikkegek

nice progress, but wont the magnets influence the screen of the ipad?
kikkegek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:13 AM   #103
pockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkegek View Post
nice progress, but wont the magnets influence the screen of the ipad?
Sorry I didn't see this reply. Actually no. The ipad was designed with magnets in it. The iPad covers actually have a magnets in them and are used to hold the cover in place, but they magnets also trigger the screen to come on and off.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #104
pockets

I decided to completely redo the dash. My tests with the iPad showed I can't see the damn thing due to glare. Thank apple in their infinite wisdom to put a glossy screen on a device that can be used in sunlight.

so... here is the redo:

Dash. I decided to toss the roundbar approach and start over. This time I'm using 1x1 tube and plywood.

well the original round bar dash is no more. It just wasn't turning out like I had hoped. my dreams were bigger than my skill So, a new one has begun.

All started here. a 1x1 support running across the cab. Bolts in to factory dash location.

Supports welded up.

Test fitting the top.

Frame welded up.

Some test fitting.

Grill areas cut out. The hinges were used as temporary means of holding the two together and it also helped retain the angle I was going for.

Bonding frame to face with liquid nails. This worked really well on the flat areas. However I had to use epoxy at the top where the top piece and front piece meet. The liquid nails doesn't do gaps very well, but epoxy does.

Gauge mock up. Layout will be Tach, Fuel and Speedo on top with 4 other gauges in the middle. the two bigger side hole are for AC vents. The HU is obvious... Holes underneath the HU are the fuel selection switch and 4 rockers for turning on various goodies. For the fuel switch I'm going to mold in the factory switch which has a big ass face to it. I only want the rocker to show, so the face will be recessed into the panel and covered over. hence the routed out area.

An idea of what it will look like. The center gauge piece is bolted in so it can be removed for maintenance. The top piece has two holes for defrost vents and the center square piece has a grill flushed in already for sub output and reflection control.

Grill frame being welded up. The expanded metal you see is the grill material.

I don't have a pic of the driver side frame welded up yet, but it is done as well.

The grill areas are that large mostly because I wanted to minimize interference, as I compete in sound quality comps with it.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #105
kikkegek

coooollll!!!!

but you are gonna build a dash from wood? wont that suffer from hot als cold weather?
kikkegek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #106
pockets

It won't suffer as much as I will, lol.

with the exception of the gauge panel, there isn't much of large expanse of wood in it, so hopefully any shrinking or stretching will be minimized.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #107
Low Elco

Wow, I gotta see where this goes. You're not afraid to start fresh, I'll give ya that! How much was that box design service?
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #108
pockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Wow, I gotta see where this goes. You're not afraid to start fresh, I'll give ya that! How much was that box design service?
$50 for the design which gives you 5 or 6 views with measurements. $7.50 for rush status and if you want the graph of the predicted frequency response and impedance response that is $7.50. Note that the FR graph takes into account your vehicle so it isn't like the FR graph from any of the popular box builder software.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #109
pockets

well this build has come to an abrupt stop. The truck was stolen yesterday. It is possible that some small miracle happens and it isn't stripped or wrecked and the police come across it, but I'm not holding my breath.

So, i'll be picking up my old skylark from my brother-in-law's shop and getting it on the road so the wife can have her jeep back Who knows, maybe I'll build something in that...
Old 04-24-2013, 03:25 PM   #110
Low Elco

Aw geez, man, I'm sorry. That sucks. Hope none of your good gear was in it. Right out of the driveway?
Old 04-24-2013, 03:26 PM   #111
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

That really sucks. Hard.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #112
pockets

parking garage at work, before the parking attendant got there. If it was in the driveway they would have had to roll it back and push it around the block or I would have heard it

my amps and the DSP processor were in it, but none of the speakers or head unit were. I had them out until the dash went in, which was going to be this week. I was about a month away from getting brand new amps, a whole new A/C system from vintage air and new wheels and tires. could have been worse I guess.

The only money item in the truck was the engine. A nice maglight flashlight was in the passenger side floorboard
Old 04-24-2013, 03:31 PM   #113
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Fudge. Only I don't mean "fudge".
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #114
Low Elco

Hope you saved all of your engine receipts. It'll help with the ins. Co. Again, sorry.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #115
pockets

well the truck was recovered, but it looks like the thieves blew the trans up. having it towed to my brother-in-laws shop to access what to do next with it. Tempted to pull the engine, sell it and use that to finance an LQ4/4L80 swap. not sure yet.