The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2012, 02:29 AM   #1
AustinScott

2-post Lift MaxJax Install

Well, I got some time today..... So I took the plunge & installed the maxJax.

Started by assembling the system.

Rented a Hammer Drill from HomeDepot ($54.00 a day) Went with daily rate instead of 4 hour rate.. so I didn't have to feel rushed.
Bit Size = 8"x7/8"

Used the Anchors that came with the Lift. (5/8" bolts)

Got the first hole drilled pretty straight, went pretty smooth.

Used a Straw to measure the hole depth. ( Hole depth was 5.75")

The lift comes with a "setting" bolt. Mine came with 2 they are 4" long and have a nut to set the anchor with

Time to drill the rest of the holes....

I used a engine oil galley brush & a vacuum to clean out the holes.

As you can see, they came out quite clean. ( that is a 5.75" deep hole)

Overview of the hole pattern

After all anchors where installed, the first (Driver side) lift was bolted down

No shims needed, the post was perfectly level.

Passenger side post time. This time I drilled the holes with the post in place. This helped ALOT. I recommend doing it this way for sure....

All my holes where 5.75" deep and I still never hit "dirt" I got lucky and had a "thick" foundation....

Had to get a shot of my Helper... he held the breaker bar while I had the job of "tightening" the nut.... he didn't have the muscle...

The Passenger side anchors are now all set.... these came out "PERFECT!"

The first thing we lifted after the install..... He had a 70's flash back...

As it sits right now... I have the truck lifted at it's lowest "safe" setting (24") I am leaving it over night & will check for concrete cracks in the morning... I want to make sure its safe before I get under it

My 68-SWB Photo Build Thread

All my Google Albums
Old 12-30-2012, 03:05 AM   #2
AustinScott

Re: 2-post Lift MaxJax Install

Here is more info on the Lift

http://www.maxjaxusa.com/faqs/common-concerns.html

Is the MaxJax really safe?

Answer :

Absolutely. If you compare the number of people killed or injured annually using floor jacks or jack stands to other car lifting solutions, it's evident that the MaxJax provides increased safety when installed and operated properly.

If you've ever visited a service garage, dealership or fleet repair business, it's easy to see that two-post lifts are the lifts of choice among professionals. In fact, the Automotive Lift Institute reports that out of the thousands of car lifts sold monthly, and among the many lift configurations available, two-post style lifts represent well over 63% of the market.

Lets be clear—the MaxJax is not just a hobby lift. It too is a "real" lift. It's built by our team of qualified engineers that not only designed the MaxJax, but also our family of full-sized lifts. We've got years of experience and we've done our math. While most car enthusiasts are talking about 4-bolt mains, our engineers are studying applied force, axial force, bending moment, center of gravity, concentrated load, deflection, deformation, distributed load, ductility, elastic limit, moment, normal strain & stress, potential energy, sheer strain, strength, yield stress, yield strain and so on.

It looks like a pain to setup. Is it?

Answer :

Nope. We've made it as easy as possible. The motor cart is easier to roll around than a heavy suitcase; carting a roll-around patio heater around would be more difficult than moving a MaxJax column; and cleaning a windshield would take longer than connecting the MaxJax hoses. So in reality, you could have the MaxJax set-up faster than you could throw two wheels on your mother-in-law's F150, drag her suitcase from the driveway to the truck, wipe the bugs off her windshield and toss the borrowed propane heater on the truck bed. And don't forget that her truck wheels would have six lug bolts whereas the MaxJax only has five for each column.

We say it sets up in about 15 minutes just to make sure there's no chance of being wrong in our advertising. The truth is, if you're dedicated, you can probably do it in about nine. Consider that most DIY'ers spend way more time trying to get vehicles positioned on ramps or floor jacks. And then when you tack on all the non-productive time you waste slithering around with your back on the in the cramped confines beneath your car while it's on jack stands, you start to see where the MaxJax is a real time saver.

If you have to go through all the trouble to set up, why is it marketed as portable unit?

Answer :

Because the MaxJax is both portable and storable. It's a great alternative for those who live in urban places and have smaller garages (or no garage at all), those with low ceilings and who can't leave it permanently installed due to space constraints.

What keeps it from tipping over – there's no top crossbar?

Answer :

The concrete anchors actually secure the lift to the floor and keep it from tipping over. And, believe it or not, this is the way that most two-post lifts do it. The top crossbar found on most commercial two-post lifts is not intended to be load bearing. It's just a simple, elegant way to route the equalizing cables and hydraulic hoses. Although clear-floor style two-post lifts do have a crossbar, many popular floor-plate or base-plate styles are void of one.
FLOORPLATE TWO-POST MODEL
CLEARFLOOR TWO-POST MODEL

Are the concrete anchors really safe?

Answer :

Yes, your safety is number one on our list of priorities! We've done the long math and tested the design and application very thoroughly. Here, we'll even peel back the curtain and let all you engineer types see our work.

fp = 0.7 x fc
e = M/P
f1 = fp x B x N1 / 2
A = f1+/-(f12 - (.667 x fp x B) x (PA1+M)).5 / (fpxB/3)
T = (fp x A x B / 2) - P
T per bolt = T / # bolts
Safety Factor = Ultimate Bolt Strength / T per Bolt

Test Parameters:
Fc 3000PSI (strength of concrete) 4" thickness
Test weight = 6,000 lbs. (Max rated load)

Floor Loading & Anchor Stress @ Max Rated Load:
(P) Forward anchor bolt tension load (each) = 977 lbs. (Two bolts)
(P) Forward anchor bolt compression load (each) = 3383 lbs. (Two bolts)
(T) Rear anchor bolt tension load (each) = 3238 lbs. (Three bolts)

Physical Anchor Testing:
Anchor/bolt rated strength (each) = 12,580 lbs.
Anchor/bolt actual destruction strength (each) = 22, 806 lbs. average

For a little more money, why not get a real lift?

Answer :

Out of all the questions we get, this one is the most befuddling to us. It's not like MaxJax is a bicycle and we're trying to call it a car. The MaxJax is a true lift, capable of safely lifting most consumer vehicles to a comfortable lifting height for service and maintenance. If you've got the room and you've got the cash, there is no reason to not get a huge two-post lift and have it installed in your garage. But don't forget, not everyone has a pole barn, four-car garage, or room to install a full-rise lift or space-demanding four-post. Many automotive enthusiasts live in the city or the suburbs and don't have ceilings higher than 8-feet. Others simply don't want or need a lift for vehicle storage and would rather keep the floor clear. We created the MaxJax to be a product for those DIY'ers whose love for cars is bigger than their workspace. Many car enthusiasts appreciate the unique benefits that only a MaxJax can deliver. It's a one-of-a-kind lift that replaces their floor jacks, stands and ramps, and allows them to safely perform general undercar work.

It only has a 48" lifting height.

Answer :

As many of our customers happily attest, the 48" lifting height is very adequate for most every imaginable vehicle service. In fact, the majority of our customer's mention that the most of their time is spent on wheel service anyway, and that doesn't require higher lifting. Although optional 3" adapters are available to give the MaxJax a 51" lifting height, we discovered in testing that most customers could not lift much higher due to ceiling-height limitations.

3" adapters come standard and give the MaxJax an additional 3" of lifting height – optional 6" adapters are also available. However, we discovered in testing that most customers could not lift much higher due to ceiling-height limitations.

Wouldn't your neck get sore working crouched down like that?

Answer :

We really don't understand why someone's back would experience any more discomfort working with the MaxJax on a rolling seat than standing erect on hard concrete. What's the difference? Working with the MaxJax does not contort your neck, but working on cars that are elevated above you sure does. Think about how nice it would be to sit down on a padded seat for some of those tedious under-car jobs. Our customers swear they prefer working with the MaxJax over standing all day on a hard concrete floor. Try it out, you probably will too.

My 68-SWB Photo Build Thread

All my Google Albums
Old 12-30-2012, 03:15 AM   #3
bk2life
Account Suspended

nice!! im jealous! also in the market for purchasing a hoist as well..
Old 12-30-2012, 03:47 AM   #4
C10 Club Tennessee

very cool, I want one!

www.gmtruckshow.com

Project "Andes"-Halen's First Truck

Project: Patina Burb

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4
Old 12-30-2012, 05:07 AM   #5
DesertCat

Nice write up. I like that lift, hope to hear your comments on it once you have lived with it for a while.

On the concrete anchors - if one wants, there is an epoxy made for them that will increase the load strength. Probably way overkill, but something to think about... not that I want you to worry

The ad talks about storing the system... do you plan on doing that or keeping it in place permanently?
Old 12-30-2012, 08:11 AM   #6
WadmalawJoe

Awesome!! I am jealous.
Tell that helper that using the push mower (behind him in the picture) will help build the necessary muscle to become more manly...lol

My youngest son and I picked up a 69 Chevy C-10 on 1/7/22, this is my second 69, it was 10 years ago that I had my other one. So I’m back!!!
Old 12-30-2012, 08:34 AM   #7
rsavage

Very very nice. I put one on my wishlist.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
Old 12-30-2012, 08:38 AM   #8
hugger6933

I have a 2 post lift in my body shop and it allows me to remove a bed alone and also remove a cab alone more comfortably. While it is nicer to have one or more helpers, the first thing I did with my lift was change the body on a Suburban rollover while all of my help had gone to lunch. I bought my lift on E-bay for $1399 and went to the warehouse to get it ,it was onlylike 60 miles from me and we put it up ourselves. Very easy to do. You will wonder how you ever got along without it as you do with all great tools. Jim
Old 12-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #9
Gus350
68 C 10

hugger what brand do you have and where did you pick it up Im not that far from you .

Thanks kevin

Kevin

"Life is Hard But its Harder when your Stupid"
John Wayne
68 C10
70 C20
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?t=602326#
Old 12-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #10
nlped

Very nice looking set-up. Looking forward to your thoughts & impressions of this once you've had it awhile. I have the same contraints as you...Low ceiling height in my garage (9' 6"), so this would be awesome with the 6" adapters. Have you sat under it on a rollin' chair yet? How tall are you, and how comfortable of a working position does it provide?

Thanks,

Ed

1968 Chevy SWB Fleet... Walt

1963-1/2 Ford Falcon Futura...Martha
Old 12-30-2012, 12:22 PM   #11
ryanroo

i have jealousy. i just wish i had the ceiling height for something like that. i have a buddy with a two post lift and it is sooooo nice. even doing brakes just having the wheels at a more comfortable height is incredibly nice.

Ryan

Old 12-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #12
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Lookin great! Thanks for the write-up!

Forum Guidelines and Rules
Buying and Selling Code of Conduct
Become a Board Supporter!
Truck FAQ

Ellen... the boards artsy-fartsy, eclectic, truck-lovin' gal-member...
Old 01-06-2013, 08:11 AM   #13
hilljob26

i gotta get me one of these,,,i never knew they had something this small,,perfect for my little garage

HILLJOB GRAPHIX--for all your graphic needs
My build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=542497
LS ENGINE SWAP INFORMATION THREAD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=377348
4l60 to an NP205
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...43#post3697343