The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 60-66 Suburbans

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2014, 10:41 PM   #51
66 Burban

Re: 65 Burb body mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsb1 View Post
Hi there, I have been searching for body mounts also . I have been talking with the truck and car shop in Orange Ca, they are in the process of reproducing them should be ready by the first of the year, first prototypes should be done any day
Maybe give them a call
Who did you talk with at Truck and Car Shop ---- I'll definitely give them a call.

Thx,
Billy B.
66 Burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 12:20 AM   #52
Acsb1

sorry I just saw your post the guys name is Steve, I will be there on Friday or Saturday and will inquire more and post the info then
Acsb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 11:07 AM   #53
66 Burban

Quote:
sorry I just saw your post the guys name is Steve, I will be there on Friday or Saturday and will inquire more and post the info then
No worries --- thanks --- I'll be going to Pomona on the 7th and will see them at the Swap Meet...
Let us know what you find out...

Thx,
Billy B.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:00 PM   #54
Acsb1

The Truck Stop in Orange Ca. Just got their 60-66 Sub body mount kit in stock looks pretty good just picked up a set today. No hardware yet but they are working on that. 170.00 bucks
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2015, 11:29 PM   #55
pimpston65

Quote:
The Truck Stop in Orange Ca. Just got their 60-66 Sub body mount kit in stock looks pretty good just picked up a set today. No hardware yet but they are working on that. 170.00 bucks
thks for the heads up, i will be needing a kit...
pimpston65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:58 AM   #56
jekyllandhyde

Do the rectangular mounts come with the round spacers? I see the square ones do. I am assuming the square ones are for the cab?

I called the Truck Shop last week and the woman that I spoke with said they don't carry any body mounts for a mid 60's Suburban. Did the kit happen to have a part number? If so, could you post it? I have been looking for body mount cushions for over 6 months. It's great to see that these are now available.
jekyllandhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:20 PM   #57
Acsb1

hi there when you call the shop or go there ask for Steve or Mike they are the Suburban guys. Not sure if there is a part number yet, I understood they got the first 3 sets in last week, maybe they are gone already but mike said they will have more coming in this week
Old 01-13-2015, 12:48 AM   #58
Grandpa54

I bought a set today, it took about 10 minutes on hold but she came back and said they had them. I should have them in a few days.
Grandpa54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:35 PM   #59
66 Burban

I got the last set of the first six sets today --- should be in my hands early next week. Steve said more to arrive shortly.

Thx,
Billy B.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:46 PM   #60
Grandpa54

Got mine today they are pretty thin!
Grandpa54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:11 AM   #61
jekyllandhyde

I picked mine up yesterday and was able to lay them out this evening. They are a little thinner than the stock ones as Grandpa54 pointed out. The material looks to be a little denser, or that might just be because they are new. All in all they are a fairly solid reproduction.

I have one question though. There are a total of 8 of the large square cushions. I know that four of them mount at the floor board location in the front cab. The other four I can only assume are for a panel or not required for a Suburban? Not sure on those. I went through the photos of the disassembly of my Suburban and the only other body mounts are the ones in the front of the frame for the core support. Obviously, the square cushions won't fit there. Any idea on those? I hope I am not missing something that's sitting right in front of my nose.
Attached Images

jekyllandhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:05 PM   #62
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekyllandhyde View Post
I picked mine up yesterday and was able to lay them out this evening. They are a little thinner than the stock ones as Grandpa54 pointed out. The material looks to be a little denser, or that might just be because they are new. All in all they are a fairly solid reproduction.

I have one question though. There are a total of 8 of the large square cushions. I know that four of them mount at the floor board location in the front cab. The other four I can only assume are for a panel or not required for a Suburban? Not sure on those. I went through the photos of the disassembly of my Suburban and the only other body mounts are the ones in the front of the frame for the core support. Obviously, the square cushions won't fit there. Any idea on those? I hope I am not missing something that's sitting right in front of my nose.
they may be covering all bases here at once, but were not the early 60s cab mounts (insulators) square? I have some early (i Believe) rad mount insulators square but not that large
the other thing with the frt rad mounts is the frame bracket it self. it seems that most suburbans and panel had the mount with the bonded insulator(eg in following pic) while pick/ups didn't have this feature; they were a wider bracket and riveted to the frame. perhaps this extra rubber has to do with that???????????????.

My feelings are with the longer and larger expanse of sheet metal with both the suburban and the panel that this extra insulator was added to help stop fatiguing in the sheet metal. in the pickup there was a separation between cab body and box so that there are 2 separate functions
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:04 AM   #63
RoyL

Quote:
This is great news! Thanks for sharing here.
You said they are thinner, what is the thickness on the rectangular ones?

From Ron's post <from Lewis>: "...1964-6 body mounts are p/n 3794779, w/dimentions of 1.76" w; 3.00" l; 0.92" thick, needing 8 (up & lwr same)."

Thickness includes the raised half moon portion of the rubber, i think, so the rubber thickness listed for original ones are supposed to be ~3/4"?
Old 01-18-2015, 01:54 PM   #64
padresag

the height of the insulator excluding the raised part is .720"(23/32"). shy of 3/4"
ron
Old 01-31-2015, 01:00 PM   #65
RoyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
the height of the insulator excluding the raised part is .720"(23/32"). shy of 3/4"
ron
Ron,
I assume you are talking about the original mounts vs the new repro ones? Anybody who's got a set in hand, can you measure the thickness, please? Folks say they are "thinner" than original. Called Truck Shop and they didn't have that info handy... none in stock ~2 weeks ago.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:39 PM   #66
66 Burban

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyL View Post
Ron,
I assume you are talking about the original mounts vs the new repro ones? Anybody who's got a set in hand, can you measure the thickness, please? Folks say they are "thinner" than original. Called Truck Shop and they didn't have that info handy... none in stock ~2 weeks ago.

According to Steve, I got the last set until new shipment arrives.
Just checked one of mine........
Without raised section: .594" to .610"
Raised portion: .682" to .704"
The rubber does seem to be higher durometer (denser), and should not compress as much.
So, we're talking about less than .10" difference --- should not be a problem..

Thx,
Billy B.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:29 PM   #67
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 Burban View Post
The rubber does seem to be higher durometer (denser), and should not compress as much.
Billy: are are you saying .010 or .100" which is closer to 1/8" which could cause a few alignment problems such as doors if you are using the regular front body mount insulator.
these trucks though were well compensated with the use of shims to tweek theses sort of adj.
It does look like they are selling a complete suburban mounting kit and the others are also perhaps compensated for in height
ron
Old 02-12-2015, 07:47 AM   #68
RoyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 Burban View Post
Quote:

Here are some pics comparing the originals and the ones I bought (3946246), showing the difference in the hole diameters:

Thank you!

Another favor, can you measure the two hole diameters from your Truck Shop reproductions?

Here's what I think they are supposed to be:
my measurements from old mount
rubber side hole diameter - ~0.75"
steel side hole diameter - ~0.44"

(Chevy parts book, ron, lewis)
length - 3.0"
width - 1.76"
height (thickness) - 0.92" w/ raised portion, 0.72" w/o raised portion

Thx,
Roy
Old 02-13-2015, 07:58 AM   #69
RoyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekyllandhyde View Post
Do the rectangular mounts come with the round spacers? I see the square ones do. I am assuming the square ones are for the cab?

I called the Truck Shop last week and the woman that I spoke with said they don't carry any body mounts for a mid 60's Suburban. Did the kit happen to have a part number? If so, could you post it? I have been looking for body mount cushions for over 6 months. It's great to see that these are now available.
Called Truck Shop and they said the P/N is: 6009605. Supposed to be in the 2015 catalog, I don't have mine yet.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:08 AM   #70
RoyL

Quote:
Called Truck Shop and they said the P/N is: 6009605. Supposed to be in the 2015 catalog, I don't have mine yet.
Page 89 of Jan 2015 catalog. Don't see it in their on-line catalog yet...

Old 03-10-2015, 06:44 AM   #71
RoyL

Quote:
Thank you!

Another favor, can you measure the two hole diameters from your Truck Shop reproductions?

Here's what I think they are supposed to be:
my measurements from old mount
rubber side hole diameter - ~0.75"
steel side hole diameter - ~0.44"

Thx,
Roy
I've call the truck shop a 3-4 times, and emailed them. When I get thru, they didn't have the mounts in stock to measure, or I'm on hold for 15-20 minutes and never get thru. Can someone with a pair measure the 2 hole diameters? Just want to make sure.

Thx,
Roy
Old 03-24-2015, 12:46 AM   #72
RoyL

Quote:
I've call the truck shop a 3-4 times, and emailed them. When I get thru, they didn't have the mounts in stock to measure, or I'm on hold for 15-20 minutes and never get thru. Can someone with a pair measure the 2 hole diameters? Just want to make sure.

Thx,
Roy
Old 03-24-2015, 01:32 AM   #73
padresag

these mounts have changed over the years. the spec that I have given were for the years 60? and 63up to 66. the orig part number superseded in the 67 - 72 series where that hole size i believe did change a little. this insulator has been used up to 2002 in jimmies and blazers in various models and that hole size may have varied again somewhere and the nbr was superseded again in there somewhere. one may have to bush that hole back down to size and get on with it. if they are not thick enough, what is a couple of more shims for these trucks that you love. sometimes you may have to improvise a little
truck shop won't sell to me or any other Canadian it seems. they don't want to ship to us and their telephone nbrs don't work from here. some places don't like to ship overseas. that has been the excuse a few times I have heard.
the ones from 2002 are also obsolete and I think that they wanted about $25.00 ea for them
ron
ron
Old 03-24-2015, 01:34 AM   #74
padresag

I think that the real square ones were 60-62. perhaps someone could confirm that pls?
ron
Old 03-24-2015, 11:39 AM   #75
padresag

here are the sizes for the bolts that go through the rear body mounts. Jon (60-66) looked it up. the part nbrs were taken from the assembly manual and you can see them there.

3771357 No 2 , 3/8 16tpi x 8 1/2" square neck
3771358 No 7, 3/8 16tpi x 5 3/4" square neck
3810759 No 4 3/8 16tpi x 4"
3811750 3/8 16tpi x 5"

ron

Last edited by padresag; 03-27-2015 at 09:23 PM.