The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 60-66 Suburbans

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
apocalypse

2nd Row Seat

Does anyone know a good place to find a 2nd row seat for a 66 Sub? Reasonablely priced of course.
apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
3 On Da Tree

Re: 2nd Row Seat

Check wrecking yards.
I got one out of a Chevy Astro van. Fit perfect. And had the seat belts attached to the seat.
3 On Da Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:20 PM   #3
apocalypse

Sorry, I guess I should have specified. I'm looking for the original 2nd row seat.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #4
3 On Da Tree

Oh. OK.

But, but, Your butt is gonna fall asleep with the original one.
3 On Da Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Any luck getting the cushions for the front two ??

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #6
60-66

This brings up a question I've not seen answered . What is the correct second seat if your Sub only came factory with two seats, front and second, no third ? Everything I have seen so far suggests the third - WIDE seat was used in the number two position. The 1966 Chevy Data book reads for option A59:

It looks to me like its calling the narrow seat or Two Passenger seat as the "third" seat. ????
WANTED :1964-1966 PANEL TRUCK
60-66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
oem4me

Just to clarify: are you looking for a short "middle" seat, like the drivers seat with an armrest? Or a full width seat? My second seat is full width because that's how they came if it was ordered with just two seats.
Not too long ago, despite their rarity, two full sets of Suburban seats in good shape were for sale at the same time here on the board. Both sets took way longer to sell than one would think.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #8
MusicMan70

The correct "second" seat should be the long 3 passenger one and you should only have slider windows in the middle and solid glass in back (sides).

60-66 thanks for the info showing that the "Third" seat option comes with the sliding rear windows.

My 61 has the bolt-down style seats, but they can be interchanged middle to back.
I believe the short 2-passenger seats are tougher to find. but both do turn up now and then.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #9
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMan70 View Post
The correct "second" seat should be the long 3 passenger one and you should only have slider windows in the middle and solid glass in back (sides).

60-66 thanks for the info showing that the "Third" seat option comes with the sliding rear windows.

My 61 has the bolt-down style seats, but they can be interchanged middle to back.
I believe the short 2-passenger seats are tougher to find. but both do turn up now and then.

So this would be for a 2 seat suburban, as mine has the 3 seats, with the second being smaller, to allow access to rear large seat

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW

www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
Old 12-22-2013, 04:04 PM   #10
apocalypse

Well all, I'm looking for the 2nd row shorter seat with the arm rest.

And ChiefRocka, I did get cushions for the other seat frames that I got from you. Actually, I got/ran across another set of seats, with the exception of the 2nd row. So that leaves me still needing that seat and 1 window lock/latch. Found all the rest of the of the stuff I was looking for.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #11
MusicMan70

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefRocka; So this would be for a 2 seat suburban, as mine has the 3 seats, with the second being smaller, to allow access to rear large seat
That would be correct ChiefRocka!
Old 01-06-2014, 11:53 AM   #12
Brad54

When I bought my Suburban, the guy had two of them--one was his driver and he used it with his two kids. It had the short middle seat.
He sold me mine, and a full-width third-row seat that needed to be rebuilt.
He said "Maybe you can cut it down to make it the short middle seat so it will bolt into the floor brackets." I said "Maybe" and handed him the additional $100 for the "seat that won't fit" and loaded it up. Once it was in my "new" truck, I said "I'll bet it'll bolt into these keyholes in the floor... look, it all lines up."
Now, this was my first Suburban, and I'd never seen any of this, but I DID notice there were a bunch of mounts in the floor of that truck, and it just stood to reason that not all of them could be for the middle seat, so I suspected that full-width seat bolted in... plus, the Suburban I bought from him only had two sliding windows, with the rears as solid, one-piece... so I figured it originally came with only a middle seat, so it was probably a full-width seat. I dunno, maybe I'm smarter than the average bear, but it just seemed like that's the way Chevy would have done it.

When I lined the seat frame up with the keyhole mounts in the floor and saw that they fit perfectly, the look on the guy's face was priceless.
He walked over to his truck, flipped over the rubber floor mat he had in it, saw the second set of keyholes, looked at me and said "I NEVER noticed that before! Wanna sell me the seat back and I'll give you this shorter one?"

NNNNNNOPE!

I rebuilt the springs with some donors from a junkyard bench, new burlap and cross wires, foam, and army canvas for the cover... it's like sitting on the couch.

-Brad

There's no cool like Old School
Brad54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:12 PM   #13
oem4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad54 View Post
When I bought my Suburban, the guy had two of them--one was his driver and he used it with his two kids. It had the short middle seat.
He sold me mine, and a full-width third-row seat that needed to be rebuilt.
He said "Maybe you can cut it down to make it the short middle seat so it will bolt into the floor brackets." I said "Maybe" and handed him the additional $100 for the "seat that won't fit" and loaded it up. Once it was in my "new" truck, I said "I'll bet it'll bolt into these keyholes in the floor... look, it all lines up."
Now, this was my first Suburban, and I'd never seen any of this, but I DID notice there were a bunch of mounts in the floor of that truck, and it just stood to reason that not all of them could be for the middle seat, so I suspected that full-width seat bolted in... plus, the Suburban I bought from him only had two sliding windows, with the rears as solid, one-piece... so I figured it originally came with only a middle seat, so it was probably a full-width seat. I dunno, maybe I'm smarter than the average bear, but it just seemed like that's the way Chevy would have done it.

When I lined the seat frame up with the keyhole mounts in the floor and saw that they fit perfectly, the look on the guy's face was priceless.
He walked over to his truck, flipped over the rubber floor mat he had in it, saw the second set of keyholes, looked at me and said "I NEVER noticed that before! Wanna sell me the seat back and I'll give you this shorter one?"

NNNNNNOPE!

I rebuilt the springs with some donors from a junkyard bench, new burlap and cross wires, foam, and army canvas for the cover... it's like sitting on the couch.

-Brad
You may prefer the full width seat, but the shorter seats are the hardest to find. ALL subs had the long seat, but only some had the additional short seat.
I'd have taken the shorty when he offered.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:14 PM   #14
apocalypse

Yeah, those are definitely the hardest to find. And if do find it, it's expensive.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:30 PM   #15
Brad54

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post
You may prefer the full width seat, but the shorter seats are the hardest to find. ALL subs had the long seat, but only some had the additional short seat.
I'd have taken the shorty when he offered.
He offered to switch, not to give me the shorter one.
"Rare" isn't always the same as "Desirable."
For my purposes (family of three and a dog, hauling the kid and his buddies, etc.) the full-width rear seat was preferable.

He had two kids, and was hauling them around on the short middle.

-Brad

Old 01-28-2014, 09:07 AM   #16
Leroy-B1

I've found a full rear seat frame but it doesn't have the springs....is there any donor vehicles that I could use to make work? I have an extra front seat setup is it possible to combine the two to make it work or anything I need to be looking for in the junkyard?
Leroy-B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:17 AM   #17
apocalypse

I have a set of front seat frames and the big rear seat with the same situation. And I'm missing the 2nd row small seat as well. Let me know if you find a set of donor springs.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:08 AM   #18
Leroy-B1

I have springs on my front seat and short middle just none in the full rear....do you need front?
Leroy-B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:11 AM   #19
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Im am pretty sure the springs are part of the cushion itself ....

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW

www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
Old 01-28-2014, 10:18 AM   #20
apocalypse

Yeah, I would need the springs/cushions for the front and big seat, but I'm more concerned on find that 2nd smaller seat.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:25 PM   #21
Brad54

I rebuilt my spring bed on the full-width rear seat, and the wide part of the front bench, using a seat from a '60s pick-up truck as a donor.
If you have a welder, you can cut and weld the donor spring bed's frame to fit your benches, and fit it with the springs from the donor.
My seats had several broken springs, and a rusted out portion of the frame the springs attached to. The donor bench from a '60s truck had everything I needed.

-Brad

Old 01-29-2014, 03:46 AM   #22
oem4me

Maybe this can help somebody?
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/da...299131743.html
Old 01-29-2014, 08:18 AM   #23
apocalypse

Thanks oem4me! Wish that was the seat I'm looking for, I'm looking for the shorter one.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:07 AM   #24
LT1 Burb

Wow, looking at those seats reminds me of driving 8 hours to Pleasanton and having to find a chiropractor when I got there. The stock seats came out soon after, I had 2 complete sets of 3 rows at one time.
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:54 AM   #25
Brad54

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1 Burb View Post
Wow, looking at those seats reminds me of driving 8 hours to Pleasanton and having to find a chiropractor when I got there. The stock seats came out soon after, I had 2 complete sets of 3 rows at one time.
I fully restored the back seat in my Suburban (havn't gotten the front done yet).
It was like riding on a couch.
Replaced the broken springs.
Put burlap over the spring bed, with piano wire going side-to-side across the springs, spaced 1.5 inches apart or so, woven through the burlap. This distributes your weight over many springs, not just the couple you're sitting on, and the factory did this.
Then two inches of foam, and an inch and a half of woven batting, covered by the final fabric. (in my case, army canvas)

People used to argue about who got to sit on the back seat, or got "stuck" in the front seat.

-Brad