The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-29-2015, 10:42 AM   #26
Fitz
Account Suspended

Re: What is the problem with a shop doing your restoration ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckian View Post
That's 35 weeks at a solid 40 hours a week. If it took a shop that long to build one of these trucks and still charged full rate, I'd find another shop.

it'd take me that amount of time and then some to finish mine but I'm only one guy and I'm not a pro shop.
The hard part about cutting the cost in a shop's bid is to avoid getting bodywork that consists of bondo held in place by burlap and newspaper. My truck had been 'hacked' together by a shop in Houston Texas. The PO sold it to me because it would not run, could not stop and the bondo was falling off just 6 months after it was finished. I paid 25 cents on the dollar and the PO was glad to get that. It took almost four years to fix all of the stuff those clowns hacked up but it all got fixed.
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:13 AM   #27
hamjet

I don't see why it would take any longer than 2 or 3 weeks, the reality TV hotrod shows do it all the time!!
Old 10-29-2015, 11:21 AM   #28
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I would LOVE to be able to hand over a vehicle with a wish list and get back my dream ride, however, my wallet says no.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 02:56 PM   #29
raggedjim

I do most of my own work, but if I was paying me, I'd fire me!

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 03:18 PM   #30
harpo231

Thanks for the replies guys... I know im gonna spend as much as a new truck would cost but ,,,wait Ill have a NOT(new old truck) The shop that is doing the work has several BIS awards in the mid atlantic region .The painter/owner is a friend and is doing the spray and graphics at no charge. And his logo will be in the tailgate graphic.Like I said I've done the whole deal myself a couple times but trust me these guys are tired of seein me cuz im watchin em like a hawk.. I also understand the guys that want to create and do their own work . And in response to the $140,000 truck comment.. It is never gonna be sold by me so im splurging...And I have had a wrench in my hand a long time ,I can do the tech talk thing ,,actually owner of custom shop asked me how I knew so much stuff about it...told him if you do it you never forget.. Keep em alive guys !!!!!!! the old chevy's rock and bounce sometimes lol
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:07 PM   #31
jeffahart

I like it when everyone is making money, and getting things they want to make them happy. You want something? Spend some money and give a good build shop some business! Let's see the good builders poo poo their clients. Their wives and kids want things too. I'll build your wife a new kitchen, you build me a nice truck! It's all good!
Old 10-29-2015, 07:46 PM   #32
ho70

Doesn't matter how good the shop is, their time is your money and it is always more money than planned. Some shops, once they have your ride, you are at their mercy. Been hosed real bad on my challenger. Had references, all in writing, but oh found this and that and be careful and expect to pay. The more you do yourself, the cheaper it is and you know it is done right
ho70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:36 PM   #33
REEDS 72

Thumbs up Re: What is the problem with a shop doing your restoration ?

[QUOTE=leddzepp;7356917]Do what you like, who cares what anyone else thinks? [/ Thats what I say
REEDS 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:29 PM   #34
1972RedNeck

I have always thought that it would be nice to just buy a "new" old truck but the vehicles that I like driving the most are the ones that I have the most sweat and blood into.
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:57 AM   #35
special-K
Special Order

There's nothing wrong with buying-in on the old car thing. But, there is a core element to it which is building your own creation with your own hands as well as those of friends. It started before magazines and it didn't have to be perfect. It had to be fun. It had nothing to do with money. In fact, you really couldn't go out and buy anything. You had to make old junk work. Skills in the machine shop is what got hot rodding to take off, then came mass produced parts. As long as a person can accept that although they have a fine top notch truck they paid someone to do, they will never be part of that core element. All hobbies have the heart and soul types to the buy-ins with everything in between.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:21 AM   #36
cooperhw

Nothing if that's what you want to do.

Building a car/truck is no different than building a house.

We all tinker around the house. Some (I am one) used to build houses for a living so a start to finish build is no problem. Some (most)hire a contractor. Nobody looks down their nose at someone who has a contractor build them a house or buys a house 100% completed with absolutely no input from them. Vehicles are no different. If you have the skills go for it. If not, hire it out piece by piece or go to a reputable shop (best choice for some) and have it done right the first time.
What's right for me isn't right for you or the next guy.
We all have to think very long before the build on just what you want to end up with. Over the past 35 years of car building I built 2 "very high end" show trucks. Ha. I laugh because at the end of both of those "truck" builds, they were no longer trucks. I couldn't haul nothing. I used to take my shoes off even if it was cold so I could wash my truck cab without scratching the bed wood. Sold em and said never again would I build a truck for that reason.
In my opinion a truck is not a truck if you cannot/will not haul anything in the bed. It may look like a truck. Smell like a truck. But make no mistake, if it don't haul nothing IT AIN'T A TRUCK.
In my opinion it's much easier to build a truck if you always have it in the back of your mind that when you are done you at least need to be able to throw the ice chest and lawn chairs in the back. Something.
Sorry to hijack your thread with my rant, but I feel very strongly about the issue of "IS IT A TRUCK OR A SINGLE SEAT VEHICLE THAT LOOKS LIKE A TRUCK?"
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:50 AM   #37
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

I kinda disagree with the house notion. Building vehicles is a hobby while house building is essential to everyday living (IMO). Special K was on point about the two sides of the hobby. It's your choice which side you want be on. I tend to gravitate towards the mad mechanic/designers in the back yard garages - my choice. But my wife and I enjoy watching velocity channel at home. Wish I had more that kind of talent.

'71 SWB K/10 CUSTOM DELUXE (Chili)
'72 BLAZER K/5 Muscle Truck (Mule)
'72 LWB K/20 CHEYENNE (Blackie)
D.PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:31 AM   #38
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamjet View Post
I don't see why it would take any longer than 2 or 3 weeks, the reality TV hotrod shows do it all the time!!
Abra Cadabra...the magic of editing video tape!
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:23 PM   #39
special-K
Special Order

Yeah, having a home built and having a classic vehicle built are not apples to apples. Maybe you could use home building to compare this way...

Having a home built by a contractor is comparable to buying a new vehicle or having a classic car vehicle built by someone.

Building your own home is comparable to building your own classic vehicle.

I'm a build your own guy in most every way. I pay for very few services. It has nothing to do with the money. It's about the way I want to live my life and how I measure my own worth. I have paid for more services in the past when my business was rockin', but as long as I have the time I'd rather do it myself. It's what makes me feel good about myself. Anyone can buy, but you need skill to do your own

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:59 PM   #40
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo231 View Post
I only ask this question because I've read many not so subtle comments in different threads about having a professional or doing yourself.I have done total frame off on a 51 deluxe a 66 chevy panel (except for paint ,i suck at that). I had the good fortune to work for the same company 35 yrs with a wicked good retirement plan.So the brand new 67 c10 I've always wanted is in process , I love working on them but am now unable to because of health . I have seen the comments about replacement body panels . Well after 35 yrs in sheet metal fabrication, metallurgy,and manufacturing engineering.I think I know what to look for in metal parts. The panels that I have had to replace were all thicker gauge than original not much, 18 vs 19/20 (as little as 2/3 yrs ago you could only get in 22 ga) ..The parts do not always fit perfectly, We had laser cnc programmed parts that did not always fit up. I think in a lot of cases new panels and a little fit up outweighs hours of labor at 80$ plus per.. I'm Gonna pay an arm and a leg for my dream truck because of motor,trans, disc brakes ,wiring,new wood bed,bumpers,,etc and leave it for my boys to fight over.. Will my truck be any less a truck if I don't build it ? just something to kick around You can see the tear down on build thread.......
1i am quite capable of building and doing my own but I have chosen to let someone else do the metal work on mine and have regretted making that decision ever since... getting the quality that I am demanding of my 67 through a 3rd party is just not happening...So my suggestion to you is be prepared to either let things roll off as the "body Shop" or restoration shop doesn't live up to what your vision is OR prepare to get frustrated and have to keep in their face to make sure it is done to the standard you expect...

Haulin's Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671130SOLD

B Bears Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=744210
Elliot949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 11:28 PM   #41
jeffahart

Lots of variability too. A shop that did good work last year could be trying to push through too much stuff or just no paying attention or whatever. That's why recommendations are hard to follow also. But hey, if don't want to do the work then you pay and work the process. I'm pretty handy but some things just frustrate the heck out of me. Here's one for you, that I'm suffering right now. I sent my license plates to a guy in Texas to have them refurbished. I even posted his company on this site saying how great my plates look. Well, the black started clouding over and apparently he clear coated the plates or something. But guess what... he did the lettering over the clear coat that went to crap and lettering is pealing off with the clear coat. And the lettering is the hard part. So... in light of my situation, and where I posted above, pay and keep the economy going it's all good.. blah blah blah. Well now I'm mad and repainting the plates myself. Not what I'm good at our where I want to spend my time. But I don't really want to get crapped on again. I had to buy new tags to on use the front plate as well... oh and the front plate clouding over also. I don't mean to scare you off. But you do need to work the process once you hire someone. And the when the paint peels off you come back here and rant a bit!
Old 11-13-2015, 12:08 AM   #42
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

I definitely see K's point. I'm enjoying my first build, even though it can be a little consuming. Learning new skills etc. is cool. But having someone else do it for you, not a thing wrong with it if you have the cash. It just won't have the sentimental and personal achievement value. That and if someone else s work don't meet your standard, well.

That said, I'm hiring out as well. I'm not doing the upholstery, body, paint and possibly not the windows either. I'll at least dismantle and reassemble the body, with the help of the body guy I've hired. Body dude will lead that and the moldings, which currently there are no holes for (fun!). Unfortunately, I don't have and friends or family who knows this stuff, and I have very limited exposure. Learn as I go and still expect first rate. This site has been very helpful. I'd be at a loss without it.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 11-13-2015 at 12:22 AM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:54 AM   #43
Spartan

A few replies hit the nail....do what you want.

I'm no judge. Seems to me you've had the satisfaction of doing cool stuff and accomplished some things. If I had the money I'd go find the nices 67K20 original panel in the country and buy it. I'd keep it stock because GM already built it but that's how I interact with this particular hobby.

Like Andy said man life is short. Enjoy.

"orange rhymes with door hinge"
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:23 PM   #44
truckster

I do all my own work, but I'm cheap and I'm also picky. If you are either not cheap OR not picky, it's not too hard to hire stuff out.

But mostly I like knowing that I built what I'm driving. My wife tells people a car isn't really mine until I put an engine in it. To me the building is as satisfying as the driving.

Plus, it gives me a good excuse to spend money on tools that I would want anyway.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:55 PM   #45
CC69Rat

I think it's just a balance of what you have to work with. Are you lacking on engine knowledge / skills ? Pay someone to do it for you.. Are you good with paint, and have a place to do it ? Go for it..

But, some people have more money than skill. Some people have more skill than money. Some people have a ton of skill, but no time or money to do it... or health just wont allow it. Some have a ton of time and money, but no skill.. etc. etc.

For me it's just a pride thing. there's something about firing up an engine you built yourself. .. or driving a car to a show you know you painted yourself. But, if I don't have the time or knowledge to do it I'll gladly pay someone else to do it and do it right.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:53 PM   #46
jjmorrse

Wrenching is a great hobby, so is driving. If someone has a problem with someone else getting a vehicle built, maybe they need to re-evaluate what is important in life. Street cred belongs to spetsnaz and special forces, not people enjoying a hobby. No shame in having fun and supporting small businesses with specialized skills along the way, in my opinion.

86 C30 crewcab big dooley. 454- 400
jjmorrse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:21 PM   #47
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

I think you need to watch over the body man very close. I paid good money for body work that I thought looked great until I went to sell the truck 10 years later and was shown where corners were cut. Not so much the amount of filler used, but the way patch panels were scabbed in.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:24 AM   #48
bill3rail

There is nothing wrong with getting what you want, how you want it, as long as you can afford it!
Go For It!
Old 02-08-2016, 02:50 AM   #49
El Dorado Jim

If I could have afforded it I would have loved to have a competent builder build mine, I still have to put a new crate motor in mine and get it painted and so on......can't wait to see what you are having built....
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:49 AM   #50
Ed F

Great thread as always and lots of opinions and view points shared. One thing I did not see brought up is that every one of these trucks, regardless of who built them will be for sale at some point. You may say that you will pass your truck down to your kids but who can say that they will be more interested in having the truck than the cash. Some can argue that a professional build has more value than the do it yourself build. There is room in this hobby, interest or whatever you want to call it for all of us and for all of the money that is being spent on these trucks. To me the most important thing is that these trucks are being preserved and will continue to survive and be enjoyed well into the future. There is a level of investment and interest available for all tastes and ability. If a guy can only afford an entry level truck and can only participate by being a do it yourselfer, then great. Welcome to the truck world. If a guy or gal has little or no skill to build a truck but has the financial means to buy a completed truck or pay a shop to do the build one, then, welcome to the truck world. If it wasn't for the non do it yourselfer there would be no market for completed or partially completed trucks. What would be the value of a truck then? I have been a residential contractor most of my life, building new houses, remodeling, and sub contracting for other contractors. We encountered all levels of do it yourselfers and buyers in that market also. In recent years I have been restoring and showing antique wood boats. In this hobby we have people of all levels of ability and financial means also. At any given boat show we can see restored canoes and home restored boats with very little value parked right next to million dollar historically significant professional restorations. Again there is a place in this hobby for all people. The purpose of the Antique Classic Boat Society is to save and preserve classic boats and to share knowledge and resources that achieve that goal. By having a broad base of interest, ability and financial means, a much broader base of classic boats are being preserved and restored. The same applies to our beloved 67-72 GM trucks and many other hobbies. As far as I am concerned the more trucks that are saved from the crusher the better no matter who is doing the work on them or how much money is being spent on them. The guy that I do most of my boat restorations for, loves them and uses them at least as much as the do it yourself restorer, and I love those those boats as much as he does. When asked if he did the work on them himself, his usual reply is " yep, I did the whole thing. I wrote every check all by myself". I send him pictures weekly at least. He visits the shop when he can, and he truly enjoys the building process while acknowledging that his ability to restore a boat lies in his ability writing checks, allowing my ability to provide him with unmeasurable joy and satisfaction in saving and using these beautiful time capsules. I bought a new C20 in 1970 and only kept it about 3 years. I have been casually interested in having another one for a long time. Last spring I found a 1970 C10 that had the body work done by one owner, most of the mechanical work done by the next owner and needed fixing and repairing of small mechanical and electrical issues. This truck fit my current needs perfectly. I have a great looking truck that can be used as a daily driver/ boat shop truck and I can tinker with the little things as my time allows, while I stay focused on the current boat restorations.
Attached Images

Ed F is offline   Reply With Quote