The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork > Detailing

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2009, 02:15 PM   #26
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Re: whats the best way to polish mag wheels?

crawdadfox.... so this works well on the Vintec's? I noticed that Billet Specialties recommends Mothers when polishing their wheels.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:50 PM   #27
crawdadfox

Location: New Orleans Louisiana.....a great place to visit but you wouldn't want to live here!!!

If your Vintecs new i use the Mothers Billet polish, but if they are a little oxidized i use the Mothers mag followed by Mothers Billet polish.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:34 PM   #28
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdadfox View Post
Hey guys anyone that use's regular Mothers polish, you can save yourself half of the work in polishing your wheels. Work the polish on with a micro fiber wax pad, but instead of buffing all the polish off by hand just simply wash it off with soap and water and dry the wheel! Dont try this with other brands or you will have a mess!
I use the regular Mother's to get the initial buffing started, then I wipe the item down with a detail spray and a rag to remove the nasty black stuff. I follow that up with the Mother's Billet polish to finish the aluminum to a mirror finish. I also wipe that down with a detail spray and a soft rag. That is followed with a sealant to keep the metal clean.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:10 PM   #29
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

Wher is best place to purchase the mentioned Mother products? Parts store, Wal mart or truck stop - etc. Just looking for the best price.
D.PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:45 PM   #30
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

My best guess for the cheapest prices would be internet suppliers. I know that I see some products for sale on Ebay quite often. I have some links saved on my computer at home, I will try to get them posted tomorrow or this weekend.

You can also order from Mothers themselves, by going to their website. Try this link for the eStore.

Here's a link for their Dealers/Retailers. I have seen some products for sale at Walmart and local auto parts stores, but the selection is not near what it would be by shopping from a Mothers retailer or online.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:01 PM   #31
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Mothers direct will rape your billfold, the last I noticed. The Mothers Aluminum polish is available in most Walmart stores (in the smaller containers) I have a couple outlets in my area that I can get the larger containers that last a lot longer. However the 4 ounce "Billet" polish http://www.mothers.com/02_products/05106.html is availible from many supplliers that handle custom wheels and of course on the internet. I purchase mine at a truck supply store in Wichita, Kansas.

Last edited by piecesparts; 04-18-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:40 AM   #32
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

Great thread on polishing wheels! Not to change the direction, but how does mothers product last on vehicle paint? I need to get the winter off my truck and looking to put a good "wax" job on the paint.

I have purchased the Mothers polishes, mostly because one of my parts store buddies touted it as a "Walk On Water", hands above all paint care system. He was right, the stuff is miraculous. However, it is far more expensive than the stuff I was using at the time and it provided no more shine or paint protection than my stuff that I already had. The Mothers had three (3) different phases of appllication that they wanted their stuff appliled and with that the depth of shine was great. The parts store buddy said he was doing High End cars in his area and charging the owners a lot for the treatment. He then saw my finsih and started to question his investment. as far as I know he is still doing the Mothers on people that want the higher dollar protection, but on his own stuff he has transitioned to another product.

Remember, Black paint is hard to keep clean and shiney, see below. I use a product from the Wizards Company and I buy it by the case to get a good price and sell it to my local friends at my cost. The paint on the truck is 5 years old.
Attached Images

'71 SWB K/10 CUSTOM DELUXE (Chili)
'72 BLAZER K/5 Muscle Truck (Mule)
'72 LWB K/20 CHEYENNE (Blackie)

Last edited by piecesparts; 04-18-2009 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:27 AM   #33
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

D. Passmore

Hey fella, I apologize for letting your post disappear. I started to answer you and for some reason my post ended up on your post. I tried to take away my part to leave yours untouched, but it deleted your whole item for input. Once again I aplogize for the removal, I am still learning this monster and h ow to control it.

You were asking if the Mother's polishes were good for your paint. I tried to give you an answer but did not do so well.

I have an appointment right now and I will get back to you later today. sorry. Frank
Old 04-18-2009, 12:31 PM   #34
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

Its all good! I've never seen that happen on here , though...

'71 SWB K/10 CUSTOM DELUXE (Chili)
'72 BLAZER K/5 Muscle Truck (Mule)
'72 LWB K/20 CHEYENNE (Blackie)
Old 04-18-2009, 04:46 PM   #35
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

The answer I was going for, was like this. The Mothers waxes are good and somewhat pricey. I have buddy that does this for high end cars in Wichita, Ks, and he talked me into trying the wax. I used it and from my past experience with brand that I am presently using, I was not that impressed. The Mothers is basically a 3 step process to get the maximum protection, whereas other brands are one or two steps for completion. The extra rubbing and elbow grease was not in my plan.

I have a show truck that has had the paint and flames for over 5 years and the stuff that I use is great for the black paint. The daily driver and the wife's car are coated in the same stuff and it stands up to sun and foul weather quite well. I usually lay a coating on at the beginning of spring and usually in late summer for maximum protection. I use theWizards brand polishes and purchase them from the company, by the case. That way I get it for dealer cost and not over the counter prices.
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2009, 08:08 PM   #36
FRANK70
Punisher70

Question Re: whats the best way to polish mag wheels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post

The mothers power ball and the liquid polish has it's limits on a fine finish, but does a good job of getting started. I have tried it more than once and finally went back to the hand work.
Im in the process of polishing my grill with that mothers aluminum polish.
Am i supposed to use some kind of sealer when im done?
Has anyone used that gords aluminum polish?

Last edited by LONGHAIR; 06-07-2009 at 02:48 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag
FRANK70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:39 PM   #37
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I never have used Gord's" polish, but it may be a good product. You can seal your aluminum grille after you pollish it, but if it is one of the grilles that has the finned aluminum bars, then the sealer may be more of a time consumer than a return for your money. I use a metal sealer from th eWizard's Line that is good and I am sure there are other brands out there, because I have used some before.

See this website for info

http://www.wizardsproducts.com/store...&cat=24&page=2
Old 09-13-2018, 06:13 AM   #38
Ambrose
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap2002 View Post
i got some stuff that works miracles! its like chalk, you take a chunk of that chalk and mix it with gasoline, the chalk will disolve in it, then just put it on the power wheel and start scrubbing,,, best polishing stuff i've ever seen! i gave some to my neighbor last week and he polished his with that stuff and using that powerball to srub it with, the wheels look brand new, NO JOKE! i'll have to get the name of it but they sale it at a truck parts & accesories store (big rig trucks, not pick-ups)... i guess thats what all them 18'wheelers use to keep there stuff shiny!
are they runs well in winter snow fall??
Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote