The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2013, 01:27 AM   #101
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

Re: Build: I've never done bodywork...but I can change if I have to! (bagged '67 SWB

had some progress today, mounted the shock brackets.. its a tight fit, but will be very effective in this location. used some 2X1 channel, had to notch it quite a bit as the shock tube would have hit the sides, also had to make little ears for it up top as 1 inch isn't enough to drill a hole and mount a bolt.

Name:  PICT0037.jpg
Views: 2764
Size:  60.0 KB

Name:  PICT0039.jpg
Views: 1529
Size:  64.0 KB
smoknbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #102
canadian sledneck

Re: Build: I've never done bodywork...but I can change if I have to! (bagged '67 SWB

looking great with those big meats on the back! Sweet set up!
canadian sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:50 AM   #103
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian sledneck View Post
looking great with those big meats on the back! Sweet set up!
Yea, i spent way too much time getting those things to fit with stock arms and my shock arrangement.
Would have been 1000% easier if i used a tire just a few inches narrower..ah well.

Spent a bit of time last few days doing re-work. Ripped off my shock mounts and located them a little more inboard, also took off the trans and clutch, as i didnt feel i loctited the bolts on flywheel well enough. And flipped the rear disc brakes upside down, so the e-brake cable would fit better, so that meant pulling the axels out and unbolting everything on the rear! So as far as getting something done, i did manage to mock up my pan hard bar, so that should get welded in tomorrow, and perhaps i can go shopping for a few brake parts i need or start assembling the box to get started on welding in side marker fillers and wheel well widening...oh the joys!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2013, 02:00 PM   #104
NSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoknbarrels View Post
wow am I tired tonight! worked 14 hours straight on the truck today , sanded off about 10lbs of old paint. figured I'd be all rested up from the vacation, but turns out it's harder to get motivated when off the project for a few weeks, today was the first day I worked on it since back, and I got home last wednesday!
I slaped the 9 inch Moser diff together, but now I am worrried I went too narrow, we'll see tomorrow when I fit it between the frame rails with tires on it.

got most of the cab sanded, still need to blast the bottom floor.
Attachment 902617
this Moser diff and axels are quite heavy duty
Attachment 902618
setting up the wilwood disc brakes
Attachment 902619
all ready to snap some u-joints!
Attachment 902620
whats the width on the rearend?
NSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #105
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSK View Post
whats the width on the rearend?
I ended up going a little too narrow... its 56-1/2" I needed to go another 1/4" wider for these rims, I plan to upgrade to 20's next year, so it will be fine then as with 15's the trailing arms just touch the inside because of the depth and small diameter. so i have to get a small 1/8 spacer for now.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #106
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

Well got the cab painted fully last night, so it is done! ... finally! only took 3 tries. still a few issues, one paint run, and some how, which I will never understand nor will any scientist... a mosquito somehow flew and landed on the paint, just inside the drip rail, I seen it fly as I was spraying my second coat of clear, and the little bugger went straight to the paint.
Unreal!!? how could one be flying around March 2nd in this area with still a foot of snow everywhere? I had to do a double take to actually believe it! we are all doomed, they are adapting to winter, I opened the main door a bit to release the flashed paint, and I seen him fly in, so now he's buried in my 3rd coat of clear.
Name:  PICT0043.jpg
Views: 1374
Size:  54.4 KB
Old 03-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #107
canadian sledneck

Cab looks great! Good job on the paint! Can't believe the mosquito, must like a chevy...
canadian sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #108
Bomp

Good job on the cab.
I hear ya on the stupid mosquito kamikaze stuff.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #109
jmorri34

Angry Re: Build: I've never done bodywork...but I can change if I have to! (bagged '67 SWB

@^$%#* mosquito, Well at least you can use it as a story, and he will be there forever lol... Hey man its looking great. When mine gets to that point, Im thinking of doing some of the paint as well but not sure. I may just go single stage orange though, acrylic enamel maybe no metallic for me, Id never do as good as you lol. Great job!!
jmorri34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:27 AM   #110
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian sledneck View Post
Cab looks great! Good job on the paint! Can't believe the mosquito, must like a chevy...
Yea, thanks, you'll have to come down sometime and check it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Good job on the cab.
I hear ya on the stupid mosquito kamikaze stuff.
Thanks, i like watching your build, it's got some serious stuff happening there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorri34 View Post
@^$%#* mosquito, Well at least you can use it as a story, and he will be there forever lol... Hey man its looking great. When mine gets to that point, Im thinking of doing some of the paint as well but not sure. I may just go single stage orange though, acrylic enamel maybe no metallic for me, Id never do as good as you lol. Great job!!
Dont get discouraged, i would maybe shy away from water based paint, but a nice 2K oil based is still forgiving enough to do yourself... Just practise more then I did!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2013, 03:06 AM   #111
chevy88

Great job on the body work/paint, looks like your a fast learner.
Posted via Mobile Device

My build thread.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=3657823
1971 Chev SWB with 68 nose, 6.2 diesel th350, and 3.73 rear gears
1988 Chev Extendacab
2010 Honda VT1300CS Sabre
2005 Buick Rendezvous wife's ride
chevy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:38 AM   #112
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy88 View Post
Great job on the body work/paint, looks like your a fast learner.
Looks like i have it figured out but i made my share of mistakes! But i am happy with my last attempt. I hope you challenge painting your project, its a rewarding experience.

Today, i got a few things done, did the last of the brake lines, had to move a shock mount for the third time... Hopefully tomorrow is more productive, running behind on this as spring is coming near.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-07-2013, 01:37 AM   #113
Graham57a

This is a great build. I'm late to the show but I'm subscribed now

1972 Chevy SWB Cheyenne Super JANE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=462072
1972 GMC Jimmy PENNY http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=735827
1968 GMC patina swb PEARL http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=731315
1972 Chevy K20 BRUCE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805788
1972 Chevy SWB Highlander OLIVE Build thread coming
Graham57a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #114
54belair

I can relate to your initial fears, it looks like you have "overcome and adapted"---truck looks good man,,,
1966 chevelle ss

Dont always go the cheapest route--You can save yourself into the poorhouse!
My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489030
54belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:32 PM   #115
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham57a View Post
This is a great build. I'm late to the show but I'm subscribed now
Thanks, you have a nice clean build goin on, i like what you're doin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54belair View Post
I can relate to your initial fears, it looks like you have "overcome and adapted"---truck looks good man,,,
Thanks, its trying sometimes.

Well I got a little more done, not a whole bunch, but some... got my sensors located and mounted in the rear for the Accuair, also test fit my box and made some fixes on the aftermarket sheetmetal bedsides, had to drill out a few spot welds are re align one corner.
also welded in a marker light filler too fast and warped half the bedside, so now i have to cut it out again and redo it all..

this is as low as I can get with a c-notch, not as deep as I would like, but I guess it will have to do for now, when I get 20's they should be able to tuck the rims a little better in the fenders.
Name:  PICT0044.jpg
Views: 1313
Size:  42.9 KB

well here I can finally see I went a little too narrow on the rear end, I guess I will have to throw in a 1/2 inch wheel spacer for these rims, and when I go to the 20's I will make sure to order the rims with 7 inch back spacing instead of 7.5 like these ones, then it'll be perfect. good thing i test fit with the el cheapo drag lites for now.
Name:  PICT0046.jpg
Views: 1297
Size:  50.1 KB
Old 03-22-2013, 01:14 AM   #116
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

learned a few things, I guess its not a good idea to try weld sheet metal with .035 wire in my mig, haha! no wonder I am having a heck of a time trying to weld anything other then the floor! gonna hold off on welding anything else until I get some .023 dia wire.

I welded in a marker light with the .035 wire, and warped half the bed side, so I had to cut out the messed up marker light haz area, lucky the metal came back for the most part, so I've already got a new filler cut out and test fit, just needs to be welded in. then do some planishing and dolly work to get the filler to a minimum.
but since I have no wire at the moment, I might start looking at painting the doors and building front shock mounts tomorrow.

Last edited by smoknbarrels; 03-22-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:26 AM   #117
ddubbs

Coming along sweet. Subscribed!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Projects
56 Chevy pickup Porterbuilt FR/RR dropmembers
ddubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #118
Bomp

.023 in my little Lincoln sp-100 is my favorite sheet metal welder.
Take your time. Slower is almost always better.
Looking great.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #119
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddubbs View Post
Coming along sweet. Subscribed!!!
thanks!

Quote:
.023 in my little Lincoln sp-100 is my favorite sheet metal welder.
Take your time. Slower is almost always better.
Looking great.
well this time I got all set up for the .023 wire, it is much easier to work with, but still warped the bed side massively, but only about half as much as the first time. I welded spots only one on each side of the patch at a time, then let it cool completely, I even tried to whack the welds with the hammer and dolly, that did absolutely nothing... How hard do you have to hit them? Same force as flattening a rivet? I swung pretty good and it didnt do a thing.
So it looks like i am gonna have to go buy a stud welder/puller and go to town on this thing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #120
Bomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoknbarrels View Post
well this time I got all set up for the .023 wire, it is much easier to work with, but still warped the bed side massively, but only about half as much as the first time. I welded spots only one on each side of the patch at a time, then let it cool completely, I even tried to whack the welds with the hammer and dolly, that did absolutely nothing... How hard do you have to hit them? Same force as flattening a rivet? I swung pretty good and it didnt do a thing.
So it looks like i am gonna have to go buy a stud welder/puller and go to town on this thing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Glad to see you got some .023
Im no expert by any means but is the welder set a little hot?
Old 03-24-2013, 11:25 PM   #121
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

Quote:
Glad to see you got some .023
Im no expert by any means but is the welder set a little hot?
I have it on the lowest setting I can put it on, and the wire feed is set to just about 50 so its pushing it pretty fast, if I set the wire feed any slower it burns the wire back and sometimes gets stuck in the gun even. I dunno if its possible, but I wondered if my mig was maybe too big? its a miller 212 and is not a small unit by any means..
Name:  PICT0047.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  37.7 KB
Name:  PICT0048.jpg
Views: 1134
Size:  44.3 KB

had some progress today, got the parking brake cables all finished up, was nice to use the wilwood brake cable kit, so now I did away with my intermediate cable! by some miracle, the brake cable threads were the exact size as the generic equalizing block that came in the kit from Wilwood, Finally something that didn't require modification!
Name:  PICT0049.jpg
Views: 1141
Size:  57.0 KB

Here is my shock relocation set-up, pretty simple but effective, still allows for full suspension travel. looks funky in the photo, but the angle is lined up nicely.
Name:  PICT0050.jpg
Views: 3118
Size:  60.3 KB
Old 03-24-2013, 11:57 PM   #122
Bomp

Yes the 212 is a big machine. One of the best you can get but from what I've read its like taking a cannon to a gun fight. With enough practice on similar sheet metal material you can achieve anything.
I have a miller 210 and only use that on bigger stuff. (.035)
I don’t really like to use my Millermatic 211 on sheet metal if I don’t have to.(.030) Mainly cause I'm lazy. If I do use it on sheet metal I switch the pig tail end over to 110.
The little Lincoln sp-100 (.023) is a 110 unit and is easiest for me. I have a brief discussion on the welders I use in a vid on pg.16 Second vid on that page.
I use a argon/co2 (75-25) mix with solid core wire.
I really like your progress.
I may have missed it but your using solid core wire correct?
Like the shock relocation.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:34 AM   #123
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

Quote:
I have a brief discussion on the welders I use in a vid on pg.16 Second vid on that page.
I use a argon/co2 (75-25) mix with solid core wire.
I really like your progress.
I may have missed it but your using solid core wire correct?
Like the shock relocation.
yes I use solid core wire..
you sure put good useful work into your build for us!! great info and reference index, I am sure a lot of other guys are using it too! took a little easter break, hopefully get some work done this week on the truck.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:55 AM   #124
BLUIDVL

Just went through your build....... looking good man

Congrats on the new shop & marriage.

Have you tried using Evercoat slick sand?

Let me know if you need any bodywork or painting tips.
BLUIDVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:06 AM   #125
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUIDVL View Post
Just went through your build....... looking good man

Congrats on the new shop & marriage.

Have you tried using Evercoat slick sand?

Let me know if you need any bodywork or painting tips.
Thanks!

Never heard of evercoat s s, what is it?
My biggest problem is welding my body panels, even using .023 wire on the lowest heat setting, doing a few spots at a time far apart, still warps like crazy!? Its frustrating me like unreal. I tell ya, if a real bodyman seen what i did to perfectly new bedsides, he'd have a few sighs..
Posted via Mobile Device