The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-29-2018, 01:25 PM   #1
Jered1987

Getting into driving truck??

Ok guys , so I've worked jobs that didn't pay the best $10-12hr
Which was fine when it was just me alone.
I now have a wife and new baby so needless to say that doesn't work.
The only logical solution I've come up with is driving truck.
I'm sick of never having any money and being buried in debt.
My question is what hauling business is the best game, companies etc,
Just any type of advice some truckers could offer. I'd like to be home each day
Because of the baby and to see my wife. Thanks in advance
Jered1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:57 PM   #2
harpo231

Re: Getting into driving truck??

Google "route driver jobs in georgia" .
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:17 PM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

if you don't have truck experience youre going to have to work cheap for at least 3-5 years you may check into JB Hunt they have local jobs but im not sure about experience requirements

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:28 PM   #4
truckster

Most local routes don't pay very much - probably not much more than you're used to making.

You might also consider a trade school or an apprenticeship.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:34 PM   #5
mongocanfly
Post Whore

^^^ "You might also consider a trade school or an apprenticeship." ^^^

my thoughts exactly.....
local truck driving jobs are normally low paying..

UPS may be something to check into....I've heard they have good pay and benefits

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver

Last edited by mongocanfly; 01-29-2018 at 04:40 PM.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:55 PM   #6
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona

I thought about that shortly after I was forced out of the USAF during the first "BRAC" back in the early '90's. Was hired by JB Hunt, Schneider, and PAM all at the same time. I was supposed to meet a trucker at a truck stop to catch a ride to the JB training center and at the last minute, I backed out realizing that I would never see my family and even though the "money" seemed to be OK, I also realized that I would need to be supporting the equivalent of 2 families on my check...me while living on the road, needing to eat, shower and have some basics to survive on. and my family home that had the same needs. My wife was already working, so that meant I would not be able to assist with day to day child needs, (day care) and a sick child staying home from school. TO me, the truckers life was just not worth the headaches. I do admire the truckers out there who work hard and are safe in what they do. I did drive professionally for 6 years, but it was only part of what I did for a living, and I was home most of the time. However, my salary was derived from my job, not the amount of hours or miles spent driving so I was lucky.

Think carefully and do take a look at videos posted on Youtube regarding beginner full time truck drivers. There are many videos posted there giving you an insiders perspective that is realtime without the fluff.

Good luck in whatever you decide, but I am thinking getting a good trade school education might be the best long term solution for your needs.

2012 Ram 3500 Dually Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins
2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK 5th wheel
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:05 PM   #7
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

There are lots of in the city driving trucks such as Beer .Soda and others , ,you need to know how to drive to start with ,,but there are driving schools and after you learn ,you will find that a lot of the stops trucks like this make are double parking in front of the taverns ,, that cant be to hard to do , ,you need a good back too.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:24 PM   #8
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
...you need a good back too.
Trust me, driving truck is eventually going to mess up your back no matter how good it is to begin with.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:04 PM   #9
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
Trust me, driving truck is eventually going to mess up your back no matter how good it is to begin with.
And your marriage. If you're a bit older and settled into your marriage, maybe not but I don't recall ever meeting a Truck driver who wasn't divorced at least once and most 2-3 times. Local haul will be maybe what you make now or maybe more with OT and hardly worth it. I'm dodged that bullet but know it well since My dad and Stepdad were both drivers and both divorced at least twice.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:34 PM   #10
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Do you have your Class A CDL license?

What kinda local hauling do you have up there? Logging, sand, rock.. Those would keep you home at night. What about a wrecker driver?

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)

Last edited by 61_FL_Apache; 01-29-2018 at 08:47 PM.
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:37 PM   #11
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
^^^ "You might also consider a trade school or an apprenticeship." ^^^

my thoughts exactly.....
local truck driving jobs are normally low paying..

UPS may be something to check into....I've heard they have good pay and benefits
The problem with UPS, you have to spend years loading trucks for the money he is making now before you ever drive a truck.. That's a coveted job there.

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:48 PM   #12
harpo231

It is difficult to jump right into a top paying job right away,, shop for benefits[a good company with vac.ins.and holidays will spend 20k a year in benefits] , shorter commute , perfect shift for your needs etc:
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:52 PM   #13
mongocanfly
Post Whore

well it may be different in different areas but a buddy of mines drives for UPS...it wasn't overnight success from loading to driving but I know he worked part time thru Christmas loading...he made a good impression...they hired him full time and about a year later he got a truck route....hes been driving now for several years and loves it...gotta start somewhere though

I went thru 2 different trade schools in different crafts and worked piddly jobs in what I trained for for about 10 yrs before a really good job came along..

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
Old 01-29-2018, 10:15 PM   #14
Coley

Smile Re: Getting into driving truck??

If you drive a truck for a living...you will always be 'on the bubble' in hopes of actually getting ahead and its highly unlikely you will see any real financial return that allows you to turn your life forward for you and your family.
As a result, I seriously recommend considering a certified/ticketed trade....
You could do a lot of this prep in the evenings and it would take a couple of years unless you work to challenge any written exams....but...in 10, 15 or 20 years you will not regret it.
There are thousands of quality jobs out there that require certified technical skill, that are going unfilled....from mechanics, to carpenters, to electricians, HVAC (air conditioning, etc) technicians, etc, etc, etc.
There is an entire generation of young people who barely know a hammer from a screwdriver...and seem to have almost no real perception or interest in anything other than a digital job.....this is their loss.
This means there is opportunity for any man or woman who is willing to step in and learn the craft.
Many of these jobs, unlikely digital jobs, can not ever be outsourced to india or china....and as I said, they are going unfilled.
This is an opportunity......but you get what you give.....there is no 15 minute or 2 week training solution to financial success.
Quality skill and craft takes a little more time and a little more effort....but it pays back in spades and is worth the risk.

Good luck either way.
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:24 PM   #15
flashed

The Budweiser plant is not far from you and they are hiring .You may work part time for a long while before you go full time but the pay is good .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:55 PM   #16
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Here's a suggestion if you can swing it. Industrial mechanics make decent money as do weldors. Both are trades taught at a lot of tech schools. It's pretty obvious what weldors do but maintenance Mechanics do a lot of different things and can jump up the $$ and work ladder quickly if they learn and build the skills to program PLC's and VFD's since a lot of newer equipment uses them, that and computer integration would make a skill set to keep you working for the rest of your years. Most of those schools offer night classes and the cost is much less than college. There are other trades taught but I'm most familiar with those.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:18 PM   #17
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Coleys statement [There is an entire generation of young people who barely know a hammer from a screwdriver]
makes me think of the liberty mutual commercial...
is this a lugwrench?
Attached Images

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

Old 01-30-2018, 12:04 AM   #18
Desert_Eagle02

For good pay it depends on what you want to do. Local driving or OTR (over the road). Do you have your CDL A? If not you are going to have to take the classes which cost money. Some company's will only accept new drivers from certain schools that can cost a couple thousand dollars. Of course they will accept experienced drivers. Or you can get your CDL A and work for lower wage to get experience to get into the bigger companies. There are a lot of factors that go into driving. It's not just a job. And certainly not a 9-5 weekends off job with great pay, unless you have many years under your belt and a good resume, and that also depends on what type of trucker job you have. In the end it all depends on what type of trucking you want to do, and if you are willing to commit to it.