The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-18-2011, 03:15 PM   #26
creepdogg

Re: Project: "Home Grown"

This afternoon I am looking to purchase all the bolts needed to bolt my bed back together, both the bed to the truck and the bed to itself.

Do any of you guys know the best place to purchase such a kit? LMC has the parts but none sold as an entire kit.
creepdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:19 PM   #27
67cheby
67cheby

i went to my local ACE true value hardware store, great selection of stainless steel bolts
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:25 PM   #28
chevytruckluver
Eat, Sleep, Drive a Chevy

If you really want a kit check Mar K they are a board vendor. They will have what you are looking for

72 Short Step
57 "big window" short step
chevytruckluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:05 PM   #29
creepdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevytruckluver View Post
If you really want a kit check Mar K they are a board vendor. They will have what you are looking for
Awesome find, thanks

So any of you have done these steel bed floor trucks, how did you paint the bed assy? Apart? Together? Painted the bolts as well? If you painted it together did you pre cut in all the underside areas that the bed overlapped? If you painted the bedsides apart did the paint crack when re bolting together?Thanks
Old 07-19-2011, 12:18 AM   #30
creepdogg

Just got home from loading vast majority of body parts that are getting media blasted tomorrow, the advertised Uhaul trailer thats 6x12, yeah no friggin way, maybe 5.5x12, had to put the bed floor in there sideways, im hoping that any slight bending will come out when bolted back to the frame of the truck.

Off to the media blaster in the AM, will post some pics tomorrow.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:59 PM   #31
propanemudtruck
Local Redneck Authority

Good lookin build, welcome from the other side of the state

four on the floor feel the beat in your soul
movin to the rhythym pumpin til ya cant take no more
dance if you want to do what you came to
you cant ignore the feeling of that four on the floor
propanemudtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:04 PM   #32
creepdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by propanemudtruck View Post
Good lookin build, welcome from the other side of the state
Thanks for the welcome, dropped off the parts this morning to the media blaster, lets just say it didn't go to well as of yet. Its likely they wont be seeing my cab & doors, and likely any future business as well.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:03 PM   #33
hbchevy

Have you gotten your porterbuilt kit yet? Look forward to seeing it installed!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

My 70 lwb build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=472866
hbchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:22 PM   #34
creepdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbchevy View Post
Have you gotten your porterbuilt kit yet? Look forward to seeing it installed!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
No, Nate is running two weeks out atm, I think he is out on vacay, no big though, I too cant wait to see it installed

Only problem now is Im on the fence about the Trailing Arm X Member & Trans Member from Porterbuilt, I dont "need" them, but I do WANT them. Or I may just go the CPP route, but man it would look nice when they all match. Nate is sending me some photos when he gets back in town on the addl PB components.

Next on the buy list is my new CPP modular drop spindles & front lowering springs, so that being said I will soon have a set of ECE 2.5 in drop spindles for sale, they are brand new never been driven on, have been installed of course.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:14 PM   #35
creepdogg

Parts in the truck & trailer, hopefully get them back by friday, then its hurry up and spray Epxoy primer! Our weather like so many other places has been HOT and humid, I am a little concerned about the parts out in the elements so the guy is supposed to contact me about timeline on parts beginning and finishing with media blasting.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:17 PM   #36
creepdogg

Pix
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2011, 11:31 PM   #37
chevytruckluver

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepdogg View Post
Thanks for the welcome, dropped off the parts this morning to the media blaster, lets just say it didn't go to well as of yet. Its likely they wont be seeing my cab & doors, and likely any future business as well.
Does that mean that the price quoted to get you to bring the stuff to him was lower that the price once you got there?

72 Short Step
Old 07-19-2011, 11:43 PM   #38
creepdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevytruckluver View Post
Does that mean that the price quoted to get you to bring the stuff to him was lower that the price once you got there?
Yeah, it turned into a real big mess, I already had the parts unloaded, In the trailer I rented, it sucked, I was pretty pissed. I got multiple quotes, for the entire truck minus frame, his was a lil higher but they seemed very reputable and have been in business for many years. So I said what the hell. He priced just my cab for 650 with doors, Hell most quotes I got was 800-1000 for the whole truck, and that was when I was using the stock 67 hood. His original estimate was for 1100.

Now the price without rad suppt, without hood, and without inner ft fenders is around 1500. So long story short I am going to give the guy a chance to make it right, I let him know how I felt! otherwise he wont see me for any more work. I hate being "that guy" but I feel like I am getting a raw deal.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:33 AM   #39
chevytruckluver

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepdogg View Post
Yeah, it turned into a real big mess, I already had the parts unloaded, In the trailer I rented, it sucked, I was pretty pissed. I got multiple quotes, for the entire truck minus frame, his was a lil higher but they seemed very reputable and have been in business for many years. So I said what the hell. He priced just my cab for 650 with doors, Hell most quotes I got was 800-1000 for the whole truck, and that was when I was using the stock 67 hood. His original estimate was for 1100.

Now the price without rad suppt, without hood, and without inner ft fenders is around 1500. So long story short I am going to give the guy a chance to make it right, I let him know how I felt! otherwise he wont see me for any more work. I hate being "that guy" but I feel like I am getting a raw deal.
I hate it when that happens. I had a simular thing happen when I took parts to be powder coated, got a fair price quote to get the things done that I was wanting to do at that time so when I took those I added a few more smaller parts and said go ahead and do these too. When I went to pick up everything it was double the original price. I even said wow adding those small parts to the job made the price jump that much and he just said "yep".
I take it he didnt need my business and I have not been back.
good luck

72 Short Step
Old 07-20-2011, 02:27 AM   #40
tantrumpipeline
Master Procrastinator

another one to watch, nice start
77 2wd short fleet beater
52 short project
tantrumpipeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:42 AM   #41
iehotrod

It seems like everyone low balls quotes just to get in the door. Once you bring it in and ready to pay you have no choice but to pay in order to get your stuff back.
iehotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:54 AM   #42
creepdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by iehotrod View Post
It seems like everyone low balls quotes just to get in the door. Once you bring it in and ready to pay you have no choice but to pay in order to get your stuff back.
Ironically enough, I work in a body shop, I'm an estimator, I've managed shops as well. I know how to write estimates, and when its necessary to charge more you don't handle it like this, that's for sure
Old 07-20-2011, 05:27 PM   #43
creepdogg

Shared a few more words with the media blaster today, that obviously went no where, hopefully they don't backlog my parts now.

On a positive note I received my Corvette servo for the 700r4 today.
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2011, 06:18 PM   #44
creepdogg

Spoke with Vicki today over @ Mar-K & ordered up all my stainless hardware to build my bed & attach it to the frame, oh and ordered up the rear tailgate handle re-locator kit. Nice ppl check em out

http://www.mar-k.com/

And more gifts in the mail, PBR Impala SS Rear Calipers for my rear disk set up! almost like xmas every day

Tomorrows to do is talk to Mario over @ CPP, order up my drop springs & Spindles, think I'm going 3in in the front with the 2.5in Modular Drop Spindles. Hope its not too low. I'm going to run 20's anyone know how low my ft x member should be off the ground with a 5.5 in drop on the front?
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2011, 07:22 PM   #45
oldman3

From reading your post I think you are staying with the stock front crossmemer and stock upper and lower A arms. Changing to Modular spindles and dropped coils. If I am correct would you take a measurement from mounting surface to mounting surface of brakes now, and then after changing the spindles and let us know the difference. Each time I talk to someone I get a different answer on how much these modular spindles will pull in the front wheels. Thanks.....Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:41 PM   #46
creepdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman3 View Post
From reading your post I think you are staying with the stock front crossmemer and stock upper and lower A arms. Changing to Modular spindles and dropped coils. If I am correct would you take a measurement from mounting surface to mounting surface of brakes now, and then after changing the spindles and let us know the difference. Each time I talk to someone I get a different answer on how much these modular spindles will pull in the front wheels. Thanks.....Jim
I should be able to do that, NP
Old 07-21-2011, 11:48 PM   #47
KensChevy

Wondering how you plan on approaching the parking brake. Are the Impala calipers set up to give you that, or do you have something else in mind?
KensChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:02 AM   #48
creepdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by KensChevy View Post
Wondering how you plan on approaching the parking brake. Are the Impala calipers set up to give you that, or do you have something else in mind?
Very easily, it wont have one I decided to go with a no e brake set up. Captainfab does sell other disc brake brackets that will use calipers with built in ebrake systems. I'm just going for a minimalism.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:43 AM   #49
creepdogg

Well today is Friday, dropped off the parts for media blasting Tues morning, its supposed to be a 2 day turn around, haven't heard a word from them yet. I have actually been pondering just picking them up and giving the guys the big bird!

Spoke with the machine shop last night and they should have an answer for me by tues next week on my heads.

I think I found my grille filler pieces from a board member today and Sunday a guy is coming to look at the doors and inner fenders on my donor truck.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:07 AM   #50
71Sleeper

Sounds like you are moving forward at a fast and hurry pace. Keep it going. Can't wait to see how the drop turns out.
71Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote