The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-26-2017, 03:39 PM   #1
gmoney38

Smile 58 frame ideas

Hi all. New guy here. I purchased a 58 apache, with the Camaro front clip. The front is way low. Front bumper about 2 to 3" off the ground. Tried the larger big block coils, but only gained approx.. 1 " to 1 1/2". The 14" tire rubs when turning sharp. So I'm thinking the easiest fix, is to find another frame and go that way. My question is, what is the better year/model chassis should I look for, to relocate my body. I'm looking at maybe mid 70 to mid 90's. Or, what are you guys running?
gmoney38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 03:57 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: 58 frame ideas

14 inch tires? How tall are the front tires? I'm assuming that the truck has 14 inch diameter rims and not 14 inch wide tires.
You might borrow a pair of taller 15 or 16 inch wheels and tires to try on the front with an offset that might help keep the tires from rubbing so much.
I found this on a Toyota Tacoma board but playing with it a bit you can quickly see what change going to a different tire size would do. It even works with different wheel sizes.
The difference in height change is going to be half the difference between the tire size.

Taller tires with the right width and offset rims would be a lot simpler than swapping frames or building a new frame.

As for swapping frames, If I did, I'd go back with a 58 frame and do a crossmember install on the front what ever I needed or wanted on the back rather than cobbling a later frame under it. You just end up with a better and more valuable truck in the end no matter what the frame swap brigade trys to push.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 05:22 PM   #3
gmoney38

My tires are just stock tire and wheels. Just rollers until I get correct height that I'm looking for. I've seen a number of the Camaro front clips, but this one somehow just came out really low. Would like to keep my frame, but with my crate 350 engine, turbo 400, Camaro front clip, and 4 link rear, its not a 'pure'
58. The only fix I can see is to remove the Camaro lowered frame and run 'new' straight frame rails. With the Camaro suspension re attached to new rails. Or find a suitable donor frame with the newer suspension and save some hours of labor. I'm thinking, time and money ahead, to do a another complete frame. But don't have clue as what frame would be most compatible with my 58. Thinking a trailblazer?
gmoney38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 05:57 PM   #4
mr48chev

How tall are the tires you have on it now? how much offset do the wheels have? As I said in the previous post, the little tires might be a big part of the problem. An inch and a half with the taller springs and an inch and a half with the taller tires might be enough to get it up where you like it.

In this area almost all of the Traiblazers you might find are four wheel drive as it is near impossible to sell one that is two wheel drive here. I still think that unless you have some really strong fabricating and figuring out skills that is a bad way to go. The cool guys down at the corner hangout might say it is the way to go but you have to be able to fabricate good solid mounts be able to figure out how to make things work and fit and have the skills to carry it out. I've looked at more messed up frame swap vehicles that were for sale around here for pocket change in the last few years that were screwed up to the point that they had no real value that I am pretty well tired of seeing frame swap questions.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote