The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2003, 12:58 AM   #1
60apache4
Account Suspended

71 K20 Spicer front hub rebuild

I was going to rebuild the front hubs on my 71 K20 this weekend (gaskets, seals, O-rings, repack wheel bearings) and was wondering if anyone could offer any pointers. One of my shop manuals says to lock the front hubs before removing the retainer bolts, and one says to leave them unlocked. Thanks for your help.
60apache4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 02:17 AM   #2
1969 GMC

I am not sure what the hub internals are like on those newer style hubs, but the hub loks on my GMC (see avatar) are easiest if disassembled unlocked. This way the springs are compressed between the hub dial and the dog gear, and do not shoot out and get lost. Hope this helps.
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 11:44 AM   #3
MJN

I've always done spicers with them unlocked. Seemed to be easier, IMO.
'72 GMC Sierra Custom K2500- in progress
'08 GMC Envoy Denali
'12 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
'17 GMC Yukon XL
VCCA member #58596
http://www.nohrco.com
MJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 05:40 PM   #4
60apache4
Account Suspended

Well, what was supposed to be simple weekend project has turned out to be more than I thought. All the hard parts are fine and I had already had a set of gaskets on hand.

The parts I cannot seem to find are the correct o-ring seal with the square profile and grease groove for the knob, the caliper attaching bolts, or the bolts that attach the trim ring to the clutch body and drive flange.

You would think someone out there would make a simple rebuild kit with all these parts in one place like they do for warn hubs, but I have the Spicer external hubs and it seems they are obsolete.

Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:05 AM   #5
Dean

You can get the paper and metal gasket from GM. The chrome ring is still available from Spicer. You can get the plastic knob also but it will most likely come in Red unless they have some old ones on the shelf. I bought stainless steel bolts and washers for mine when I rebuild them. I have not been able to find a source for any of the internals new. I do have all of the part numbers and the spicer parts book if needed.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 03:44 PM   #6
60apache4
Account Suspended

Dean, thanks, but I already had the paper & metal gasket, Spicer chrome ring and knob from GM a while ago. I cleaned up & reused the o-ring and lubricated it, and found some SS bolts at an industrial bolt supplier locally. All the hard internal parts were in good condition so I just cleaned them in solvent and repacked with a moly-lithium wheel bearing grease. Everything is like new now. Thanks...Tom.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:37 AM   #7
Dean

That is exactly what I wound up doing. I had new s/s bolts/washers, chrome rings, paper/metal gaskets and blue knobs.

These hubs aren't the strongest so I hope you aren't planning anything extreme. They also have a tendancy to loosen up and fall off so keep an eye on them.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 10:18 AM   #8
jerry moss
Born Psycho

the knobs are still available from the dealer also but only in yellow.the square "o" ring can still be had if you can find a parts man willing to look for you-- i've bought several in the recent past. another hard to find piece is the collar that the inner drive gear rides in, most used ones are worn pretty bad and new ones are expensive when they can be found.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote