The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
Schwedy925

1986 jimmy wont start help appreciated...

Hello. So im having some trouble with my 1986 4x4 jimmy. When i first got the truck not too long ago it would take a little while to start if it hadnt been running for a while (ie usually in the morning i would turn the key and wait for it to turn over while giving some gas until it started usually about 20-30 seconds or so). Last night however when leaving the store i started my truck and it seemed kind of boggy and then when i put it in reverse and gave it some gas it just died. I went to start it again and it just keeps acting like it wants to turn over but the engine just wont start. I tried jumping it and the man at AAA said it sounded like i was out of gas by the noise the engine was making when trying to start it (i already put a couple gallons in while it wasnt running so i know its not that). I let it sit overnight infront of my house and when i go to fire it up this morning it just does the same thing. I did some research and i THINK i may need to replace my fuel pump or somthing along those lines. The people on this board seem to know what they are talking about so i figured i would bring my problem here and see what advice you guys might be able to shoot my way. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Schwedy925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:54 PM   #2
Dads69C10

Re: 1986 jimmy wont start help appreciated...

I recently had the same problem. Mine was luckily just a loose wire to the distributor.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:42 PM   #3
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Check your rubber fuel line from the tank to the frame. If it's the original hose from 1986 chances are it's dry rotted and cracked. If it's cracked the fuel pump is only going to suck air and not pull fuel.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:09 PM   #4
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Fuel starvation was my first thought as well. But I'd pull the ignition module and take it down to one of the 'Zones for testing just to be sure. They'll test it for free.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:20 PM   #5
Schwedy925

Ill see what i can do pulling out the ignition module and get that tested. Ill check the other things you guys also said and make sure none of that is bad. I did check my wires to the distributor and all look good. I also primed the carb with about a tablespoon of gas and it showed some life but i think all the attempts to start it is burning my starter up though lol. Any possibility it could be the alternator as well?
Old 03-08-2011, 05:30 PM   #6
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwedy925 View Post
Ill see what i can do pulling out the ignition module and get that tested. Ill check the other things you guys also said and make sure none of that is bad. I did check my wires to the distributor and all look good. I also primed the carb with about a tablespoon of gas and it showed some life but i think all the attempts to start it is burning my starter up though lol. Any possibility it could be the alternator as well?
See if it will crank and run on starting fluid, if so you know it isn't getting any fuel and you probably need a new pump. Or you can take the line off going into the carb and see if it is pumping fuel out while someone cranks it for you.
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:40 PM   #7
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkade View Post
See if it will crank and run on starting fluid, if so you know it isn't getting any fuel and you probably need a new pump. Or you can take the line off going into the carb and see if it is pumping fuel out while someone cranks it for you.
I agree, but before you shell anything out on a fuel pump make sure all the rubber in the fuel lines are free of cracks. I struggled with a 77 Bonneville that my father in law has that needed the carb to be primed if it had sat overnight. I put a fuel pump on it and it still wouldn't start without priming and would stall out once it ran out of fuel in the bowl. I put a vacuum gauge on the fuel pump inlet and it was pulling vacuum. So I jacked the car up and started putting an eye on the hose. Looking up from the tank forward over the rear axle was about 18" of rubber hose that was full of cracks and was extremely dry. Some new hose and one last prime and it was running like normal again.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:10 AM   #8
Schwedy925

Update: Good news(I hope) and bad news. The good news is that its really looking like it is my fuel pump because the old one was completely jacked up. When i removed it the spring under the black lever was missing and the lever was coroded(sp?) and wouldnt even move. The bad news is ive run into a situation with that damn tricky rod arm that ive heard so much about. It seems like it is jammed against the lower wall of the opening if that makes any sense. Any ideas on how to unlodge it? Ill post pics soon.