The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-28-2008, 11:53 AM   #1
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

Kizer and his 65 here

Heres the Craigslist Ad.

65 chevy 1/2 ton, 250 6 -cyl 3 on the tree. pretty straight, good tires, collecter plates. drive it to hell and back...15-18 mpg. trade for motorbike.

I traded it for $400 because I don't own a motorbike.

Welp its not pretty, but its mine. a buddy of mine came with me and gave me the thumbs up. He actually drove it home since the front brakes are shot and I've never driven a 3 on the tree before. He took off on one side street up a hill and well I couldn't catch him if I tried in his Jeep.

Looking around there is some work ahead of me. I think looking it over in the drive way after we brought it home I don't think there is one piece of sheet metal that doesn't have a dent or a hole in it. Looks like I'm going to learn how to weld if I like it or not. If Rust is a Cancer this thing is for sure on the Terminally Ill list.

Here are some shots. It was with my camera phone so yes they suck, but its what I have for now. Hopefully I can make some room in the garage and I'll start tearing it apart as time allows.

What I do know:
Looks like a straight 6
3speed on the column and shifts well
Smokes at start up, but doesn't seem to when you get on it.
Windows rollup and down pretty easily
Lights work, however some of the running lights and blinkers seem to have a mind of their own
Horn works
Wood bed
Doors don't squeak or crack when you open and close them
Engine has a leak on top
Windshield wipers work
Starts right up after a few cranks
Clutch appears to engage high up near the top - Adjustable? We will see
Brakes are shot up front. Grind, Grind when you use them.
Frame appears to be straight because it doesn't looks sideways going down the road from behind.

All in all its going to be a project truck. I'm going to learn how to weld, paint and I'm sure I'm going to learn the proper way to fill in holes using the proper amount of bondo. I know most will not use it, but I don't have an endless supply of liquid Metal laying around.

I still have access to another truck so there will be some part stealing. Like the hood and a few other parts. Its going to be a who has the better of the two for starters.

Last edited by kizer; 09-05-2008 at 04:28 PM.
kizer is offline   Reply With Quote