The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2010, 11:17 PM   #1
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

Score: Welding/Gas Bottles

I went over to a buddies house this morning to borrow a few odd tools that I need for " The Blazer Project" . Told me he was heading to a "going out of business" sale at a automotive repair shop. I've been looking for a decent parts washer for a while and figured I would go check it out. Man they had all kinds of stuff but no decent parts washers. But, spied a older cutting torch with some gas cylinders sitting around it. I asked how much, he said $150.00 for it all! No problem! I walked out with three full medium size acetylene cylinders, one huge full cylinder of Argon-Carbon Dioxide-Oxygen Mixture and a small bottle of oxygen and acetylene on a bottle cart. Plus a complete cutting torch and a plumber torch with very small acetylene cylinder. Glad I had my small trailer to haul the loot home.
I've always rented cylinders when needed, so I don't really know a lot these things. First, what is Argon-Carbon Dioxide-Oxygen Mixture used for? Is it a type of shielding gas for Mig welding? Second, I think a few of the bottles need to be pressure checked, (recertified) what does that Intel? Third, does a plumbers torch use acetylene? Forth, whats the difference between a "owner" bottle and any other cylinder? Any information would be helpful. I'll post pictures tomorrow of all the stuff... Thanks DP

'71 SWB K/10 CUSTOM DELUXE (Chili)
'72 BLAZER K/5 Muscle Truck (Mule)
'72 LWB K/20 CHEYENNE (Blackie)

Last edited by D.PASSMORE; 01-17-2010 at 12:19 AM.
D.PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:28 PM   #2
brn agn

Re: Score: Welding/Gas Bottles

Hopefully, I can answer a couple of questions. Argon-Carbon Dioxide-Oxygen Mixture is a shielding gas for MIG welding. It is also referred to as "C25", because it is 75% Argon/25% CO2. When I lived in Missouri, I purchased my shielding gas from a local welding company. They technically owned the cylinder and I leased it from them. Since I have moved to North Carolina, the nearest place for me to purchase shielding gas is Tractor Supply Company. They make you purchase the bottle, then you can get it refilled at any Tractor Supply Co location. They will NOT refill a bottle owned by anyone else (like the one I leased previously).

1971 Cheyenne Super A Combined Effort

The Service Station-A practical ministry for those in need
brn agn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:31 PM   #3
LEEVON

you lucky son of a gun. I just bought an EMPTY 40cf bottle (very small) for $90 and that was the best deal I could find. Those things are expensive, and you got all the gas for a torch setup. You probably got $1000 dollars of bottles, gas and torches there.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:36 AM   #4
Bus Ted Knuckle
Son of a gun

I hope they really owned the bottles, and were not just renting them.

Did you get ownership papers? Depending on state laws, some places will not trade for or fill a bottle that has not been tested or that you cannot produce papers on. May not be an issue where you are.

BEATERS ARE NEATER
Bus Ted Knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:48 AM   #5
TennesseeZ
Countdown Survivor

The plumbers torch does use acetylene. It's usually referred to as a "PrestoLite", tho there are probably other manufacturers. It mixes the acetylene with air at the torch head, IIRC.

Don't know what the laws, or guidelines are on recertifing bottles, I think it could be every 3 years, not sure. When I took my bottles in for refill they charged me for certification. Mine are ones I bought, all they asked for was that I certify in writing that I own the bottles, then they swapped my empties for their full ones.

A MAN OF HONOR DOES NOT LIE, CHEAT, OR STEAL, NOR TOLERATE THOSE WHO DO.

Gettin' old ain't for sissies.
TennesseeZ is offline   Reply With Quote