The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-01-2003, 11:56 PM   #51
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I like the Halibrands, especially with the grey centers. They have a Bonneville look that wouldn't be out of character, in my opinion. They're just too much dinero for me. Need some knockoffs, tho.

Looks like this "rat rod" thing is real. Let's go for it.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 12:41 AM   #52
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

A guy I work with is buildin' a '23 T. He's goin' flat paint,red wheels etc. Doin' all the work with his son. it should be a blast to drive!!
69 C-10, OWNED 35YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 02:07 AM   #53
krazy_texan

oh and you cant forget the flaming eyeball antenna ball, the mooneyes stickers behind the front wheels, the fuzzy dice, the cross shaped peep mirror and the light up skull shifter nob if you have a stick.

in my opinion a ratrod should not have these expensive chrome wheels because a real ratrod is built on a budget so you go cheap with something like ralleys or smoothies, and the only real thing you spend money on is the drivetrain
1990 v1500 suburban
1967 Ford f100 Swb 4x4 "green bean"

GOD BLESS JESUS, JOHN WAYNE, AND THE ALAMO
krazy_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 07:01 AM   #54
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

Damned,, Now I need to ask..... How many of you are really old enough to lived the RAT, Look????

Or should I just have asked How old are we old farts that still see something neat, in this look??

I'm 51. Been doing wrenching since I was 12, 15 on my own. It was a 55 2 door business coupe. Primered black, Baby moons a beauty rims. With the little Kitty, in the rear window, with the eyes that blinked with the tailights. It had a three speed on the tree, I had done some work to turn the shift lever the other way around. it had a Maltese cross shift lever... You know the Plastic ball one with the Cross you could see in the middle. "I still have it....." I had the interior redone in Tucked and Rolled Naugahyde. I sold it just before I went to NAM.. I bucked a hellof a lot of hay bales for that car,,,, Wonder what tin can it is today????

I do still have an OLD, Offy turbo-thrust dual quad tunnel ram, That'll go on this next summer. ( no not the one in my avatar) It has two Holley 390 Carbs, Not tri-power. ( too danged much money for that one) My billet grille is a little outa place, But gotta keep it....Can I make that up with some Maltese cross Side Mirrors?????

I gotta have Cragers though....

Ron
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 09:23 AM   #55
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I am 56. My first car was a '54 Ford Customline 2-dr, V-8, 3 on the tree, nosed, decked, and painted '56 Dodge Royal Metallic Blue. All the interior metal was painted white. It had a tubular grille, '56 Olds taillights and no bumper guards. The parking light lenses were blue, to match the paint. It had Smitty's on the duals. There were Dodge Lancer (4-bar) flipper wheel covers, and (the crowning touch) Port-A-Walls, that my folks got me for my birthday. Sounds came from a transistor radio on the top of the dash, that recently resurfaced after my mom died. It is still dented from the back of the steering wheel, when I got rear-ended in Feb. '65.

I have a good friend who built a Deuce Cabriolet from scrap parts, that is as traditionally "rat rod" as they come. It has a small block, 39-Ford 3-speed, 3-deuces, Kelsey-Hayes (bent spoke) wires, and wide whites. It's painted in the required black primer, with red wheels.

Another buddy has built a Track-T, from scrap, too. It has a 231 Buick V-6, Turbo 350, suicide front end, buggy spring rear end, and a homemade fuel tank...to look like a Moon tank. I'll get some pix. It is running ralley's with caps.

Old 12-02-2003, 10:29 AM   #56
67chevemall

67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 11:04 AM   #57
BtnkBndt
Pennyless Fool

I'm a youngster of 40 years. I was born in the early sixties. I grew up around cars. Dad worked for Wynnes, and actually went into buisiness for a short time selling a "friction-proofing" product he and my uncle developed called Kar-Zoil. I remmember hand painting the labels on the first batches . I was only 4 when my truck was built. Question, is a Rat Rod from a distinct era, or is it just a primmered HotRod. Seems our trucks would actually be too young themselves.

This is an interesting arguement on another board:

http://www.clubhotrod.com/t1837.html

67 Short Step
283/TH400/4.11
BtnkBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 11:08 AM   #58
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

I'm just old enough to know what the last guy's board name means and who built that car.
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 11:09 AM   #59
spencra
This, is my BOOMSTICK!

Ok, now how about yourself. I mean, you want to live to see the finished product, don't you.
spencra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 12:19 PM   #60
superchevy
Got big-block?

I'm going for an "old school" look on Project Daisycutter...a mid-seventies custom look like I would have done back when I was in highschool in '77...Cragar's, lots of Cal-Custom stuff, and even an under-dash, big dial Pioneer "Supertuner" 8-track stereo I still have from back then! A little later look than the ratrod style.
What kind of paint gives that "flat" or "suede" look?
Manufacturer?
SC

'72 Corvette convertible 454/4spd/ac, ps, pb

'73 GMC Sierra Grande short wide 454/T400 ps, pb, ac

'77 K5 Blazer black on red, 350/T350/NP205 ps, pb, ac all original

'78 GMC Sierra Classic short wide 454/T400 ps, pb, ac

'72 GMC Sprint SP454. 1 of 38 built.
'73 GMC Sprint SP454. 1 of 71 built.
'75 GMC Sprint SP454. 1 of 25 built.

SOLD! '72 GMC K25 4x4 468/4L80e/NP205
build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...23#post4324423

SOLD!'55 Chevy gasser 496/4spd
build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...96#post4324396
superchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 12:25 PM   #61
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Casey- here is my 54 Chevy with suede paint. It is not primer, and it's 5 years old. Holds up well, no chalking, easy to care for.

If you like the finish, I'll be happy to describe how I did it and what products I used.
Old 12-02-2003, 12:27 PM   #62
BtnkBndt
Pennyless Fool

Superchevy, That sounds great! I have a set of wheels I am going to use now that are probably mid-late seventies (appliance turbines I believe). 10's in back 8's up front. I know thats not Rat but it is old-skool right? I would've run Cragars but I got six lug.

Adding flattening agent will satin a gloss finish.

67 Short Step
283/TH400/4.11

Last edited by BtnkBndt; 12-02-2003 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:02 PM   #63
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Regardless of our year of birth, etc., there are those things which were popular at a given time, especially in an automotive vein.

In the 70's, my recollection is that the government and the automotive manufacturers were fighting with each other and we got what they deemed was permissible to sell. Lower compression ratios; bumpers that had to bump; etc. The sleekly-styled bumpers of the past, were no more. Engines were rated differently in '71-72, with NET horsepower being the go-word. With the Arab oil embargo of '73, getting better mileage was important. The Feds had said that Lead had to go, so unleaded was the new catch phrase. Engines, and the cars/trucks that they powered, were plagued with new problems.

With all of that said, cosmetics became the way to go, with a few (so to speak) die hards that continued to find a way to live with lower compression ratios, poorer gas and heavier cars. Put some wheels on your ride, or put a port hole window in the rear quarter. Panel painting. Wood graining. Slats on the back glasses. Vinyl tops, half tops, sun roofs; Visors on the windshields. Whatever it took, is what we did, or had done.

So, what is your era? I grew up in the 60's, and the 60's style of hot rodding just doesn't appeal to me, as in white walls, white interiors, chrome wheels with bullets, and outline-style pin striping.

For all of those reasons, I have come to appreciate the Hot Rod look that is encompassed in the Rat Rod style. I don't want a junker. I don't drive 'em, never have. A junker is just what it is called, junk. You see 'em daily, and wonder how they got where they are and whether or not they'll make it back home. For me, it has to be mechanically sound. Then, the body has to be solid. A comfortable seat, some music and heat, and there you go. I prefer that the paint be one color, and not rusted-out anywhere.
Honestly, with the exception of the finish of the paint, mine will be show-quality, by saying that a glossy finish is what show cars have. Mine will just be satin finished. It will be a finished truck, just not shiny. To me, that is what I define as a Rat Rod, done on a '69 bodied truck. I am just interpreting the Rat Rod look, on my truck. If you like it when it is finished, I will be proud to own up to it. If you don't, then that is why there are so many different custom creations. We can do what we want. So, if you feel comfortable with your plans and ideas, go for it!!

Old 12-02-2003, 06:23 PM   #64
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

Quote:
Originally posted by ChevLoRay
Sounds came from a transistor radio on the top of the dash, that recently resurfaced after my mom died. It is still dented from the back of the steering wheel, when I got rear-ended in Feb. '65
That's great, Finding the original radio.

I remember a lot of transister radios being in use in cars/trucks.

[quote]spencra Ok, now how about yourself. I mean, you want to live to see the finished product, don't you. [quote]

I'm going to have to let my Grandson finish ours, as he wants, I know I'll never finish it. Or at least I don't think so !!! I just don't work that hard on it.

Ron

Last edited by RON WOODGEARD; 12-02-2003 at 06:25 PM.
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 11:38 AM   #65
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

A few rat rods are shown in the Mad Fabricators video that glen mentions in this post. http://64.246.42.114/vboard/showthre...672#post624672
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 12:08 PM   #66
paintpyro

Hey Btnk, isnt that the Lil Coffin?
rallys and BFGs
-We can rebuild it, we have the technology-lower,shinier,faster
paintpyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 12:20 PM   #67
jay-dawg
chevelito

hey superchevy...there was a littly ditty on the suede look in the January Truckin...Readers Rap.

Can I join the 67-72 rat rod club...I already have the go fast part down with the LT1, but its not gonna be a period piece. I think I'm going for that Navigator look posted earlier with some von dutch pinstriping on the tailgate...like this.
Attached Images

Aloha from Honolulu, HI
jay-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 08:53 PM   #68
BtnkBndt
Pennyless Fool

Quote:
Originally posted by paintpyro
Hey Btnk, isnt that the Lil Coffin?
Sure enough is. Want to try another?

jay-dawg,
Nice truck!

67 Short Step
283/TH400/4.11
Old 12-05-2003, 09:52 PM   #69
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

OK gang I'm in!! I just want to point out that the Rat Rod style this post seems to be discussing is more a state of mind than a period style.It is about building what you have into something cool while still maintaining ownership of your half of your domicile.(i.e. The Queen of VISA doesn't toss you out and keep your home and half of the stuff you own).
A rat rod is stylish without having gaudy stuff on it.It should be reliable, fairly quick,have the basic creature comforts the owner deems necessary.It should be the ride the chicks of the 50's/60's wish they would get invited to ride in.
Rat rods have always shown pride of ownership.They were clean,didn't have wires and crap hanging loose,didn't rattle, and didn't require a bank loan to build.You could tell the owner knew how to tune an engine and usually did all the work himself.The paint might not be shiny but usually it was all one color of primer.

I will pose for the logo as long as I get Munchin' Marvin's spot on the creeper.

Someone asked about a reliable blower motor.Yes, they can be built for the street.The comp ratio and cam need to be fairly mild and the boost should be kept down but don't polish the case or it il be the shiny stuff we agreed wasn't with the theme.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 10:46 PM   #70
sweet n rare67
Young truck fanatic

Okay guys here's my story
I am a young one (only 16) but i have been working on my truck basically by my self for a while. i have been planning on the old skool look for a while (it is cheaper and just as cool). my plans call for some black or maybe tinted primer with chrome front bumper, no rear bumper, and a nicely built 350 backed by a 4speed manual. As far as wheels go i dont really know what i will be able to afford then.
Any way i really like the old skool/project look and i have great respest for the original rodders of the time. I would really like to be part of the unofficial club.

Thanks
Jake
Old 12-05-2003, 10:57 PM   #71
jjk3
It's just a check engine lamp.

Finally, some people who are on the same page as me. I'm only 18, but I'm obsessed with the rat rod look. When I get a chance I'll post a picture out of Hot Rod that is the exact look I want. I'm looking for the black suede with red pinstripped flames. I'm really into inline engines, so I want to build a 292 with multiple carbs. Most of my friends think that attitude only refers to power. Like y'all said, the rat rod look is a state of mind. I'm in. I'm really into the vintage parts like Offy, smoothies, etc. It'll be hell switching my truck over, so I might have to say the ideas for a future vehicle. Keep the posts going guys. John.

68 SWB Stepside 250 L6/3 on the floor/ Hedman headers, HEI, MSD 6A box, K&N filter, Offy intake and Edelbrock 600cfm 4 barrel
Soon to have: WC T-5 five speed
66 SWB Stepside-undergoing restoration
jjk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 10:59 PM   #72
mooneyes

......i'm only 31 but dad always had lots of car magazines lying around when i was a kid.....i think i remember more from those magazines than anything i've ever learned.....
Attached Images

70 lwb 305/700r driver
78 caprice project
02 cavalier D.D ( hate it!!)
mooneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 11:14 PM   #73
mooneyes

..how bout a set of radir's
Attached Images

70 lwb 305/700r driver
78 caprice project
02 cavalier D.D ( hate it!!)
mooneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 11:59 PM   #74
casey

whoo

Quote:
Originally posted by BtnkBndt
Like this with a 67-72 truck?
man I use to have that pic when I was a kid many moons ago like the 60's to be exact.
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 12:30 AM   #75
BtnkBndt
Pennyless Fool

Ooh, The Futurian and Road Agent.

Yeah, the models and Hot Wheels got me.

Casey,
That one was took from an old Roachwear shirt. Peace man.

67 Short Step
283/TH400/4.11

Last edited by BtnkBndt; 12-06-2003 at 12:36 AM.