The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2002, 03:35 PM   #1
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

Post ot. hondas are strange..all the need is a beating

my honda has been acting strange for a month now. beeing a 91 it has all the new fangled crap on it. a guy can never tell wtf is the problem w/o speding 1000000000s of bucks at the shop.

think would (what i call) twitch. maybe im to picky but i want an engine to hum. like huummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. and not hummmmmmmahhhhummmmmmmmmmmmmmmahhmmmmmmhahmmmmmmmmhammmmmmmmmmm. know what i mean? lol

what the hell are those little twitches. misses? mosr engines do that though. even the longhorn.. drive me nuts sometime..the honda has been realy bad. even more so with the a/c on.

so to day i get in her, start it hum, and try to take off. pushing the gas peddle down quickly killed the old girl. only from an
idle. it tap the gas and it would stumble and gasp then run faster. strange as hell..

knowing how things are here, there is a big prob with condensation. so i got some anti water stuff and put it in.. then i did the normal man tests..pull plugs and look at them.. nice, check gap,, good.. pull cap, scrape teminals.. hum.. take all the sparkplug wires off the cap and look at them.. lol. dont know why..look at air filter.. fine...

after the basics, the average poor guy will start wigglin wires, tap on things with the handle of the screwdriver. fianly i saw the 4 bolts to the cap of the fule injection. why not, try to take them off, to tight. normal instinct again, grab a hammer, tap on screwdriver while turning.. didnt work...so i gave up

started the car.. runs great, better than it has in months.. soo, what was it.. water? wires? cap? lol.. hell i dont know.. any of this sound like something you all do?
mtdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 03:43 PM   #2
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

I would guess that your injectors are dirty. You may have knocked some of the dirt loose by banging on it. I would pull the injectors and clean them or at least dump a bottle of injector cleaner in your next tank of gas.

------------------
'69 K-5 Blazer - 350/TH350, 6" lift, 35" tires
Bothell, WA

Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 03:45 PM   #3
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

i have dumped several bottles of that stuff in over the last few months.. ok, im going to show how dumb i am now,, you can pull injectors out and clean them? really? lol cool.. if it starts running bad again ill try that
Old 03-20-2002, 03:51 PM   #4
daveo68

Must of had a little trash in injectors.I had a 90 model Accord around 175,000 miles it was time to start putting in new sensors also had fuel injectors looked at.Sounded like it was missing. Cost me about $700.00 when they got through and they didn't even use vasoline.
Dave

davideowens@lexcominc.net

God Bless America
daveo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 03:53 PM   #5
Woody

The Dist. Cap!! I got a 90 civic w/ 1.6 liter engine. It ran fine but at idle it stumbles just like you described. Stomp the gas at idle and it coughed and died. Finially got to the point where it would not start if it set outside overnight in the rain. Forced me to do something! Any way I changed the cap, rotor button, and plugs. Probably should have sprung for wires also but I'm cheap... Started right up runs fine. You can still feel the a/c compressor kick on and it stills hick-ups slightly at idle sometimes. May be the idle solnoid (or what ever it uses to adjust the idle) sticking. The cap and button were corroded up and excess moisture gave it fits. Gas milage went up from 23.3mpg to 23.4mpg (avg over several tanks), not much but it did improve.
I have 146,000 miles on mine, replaced timing belt at ~95,000 and it just keeps going and going and going and................

------------------
Woody
'69 Custom-10 Deluxe
Short Fleetside,Factory 350cid/TH400,A/C,PS,PB,Carpet
Coming soon 700R4, 350 Crate Engine, Pwr Disks...
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 05:10 PM   #6
cableguy0

there isnt supposed to be anything on the cap terminals to scrape off.i'd got get a new cap and rotor shouldnt cost u more than 15 bucks

------------------
72 chevy lwb 350 lunati cam ported and polished cast 2.02 heads proform hei edelbrock performer rpm and 750 carb balanced bottom end 9.5:1 compression ps,pb th350 with a tci 2500 stall convertor full man v-body kevlar clutches and bands as well as other goodies

Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 05:28 PM   #7
Benrs86

i know exactly what you are talking about with the hummmmmmmmhummmmmmmmmmmhuhummmmmmm. my sisters, daytona does it and i hate it. i might go mess with it and do what you did.
3 on the tree
350 engine 4 bolt main
rv cam
AIM = Alphray04
Benrs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 05:33 PM   #8
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

just dont break the radiator! that really sucked...
Old 03-20-2002, 05:37 PM   #9
Vince M

I've got an 86 that's carbureted that had the same miss. I changed the wires(they were original)the cap, rotor, rebuilt the distributor (the advance didn't work), advanced the timing and went from 32 to 35.5 MPG. Can't beat 'em. I just drive the snot out of it back and forth to work.

------------------
Orlando,FL
72 Chevy 4x4 3/4T CustomCamper w/SB 406

Old 03-20-2002, 11:48 PM   #10
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I found on my old '86 Honda Civic Si, (the multi port injected one) when it had the 'variable miss' it was from the timing belt being streached...then later, lookin for more power, i advanced the timing too far and had the exact same thing.

------------------
'69 G.M.C. 350/350. Trying to clean up the left over damage from the Dope-Smokin-Old-Man
I've been dubbed the Longhorn Freak/Fanatic/Expert, I just hope I can live up to it.
Need to pick up the one ton Longhorn with a PONTIAC 350/350soon.
Thanks every one!
Check out The Longhorn Webite.
If you need a pic posted, E-mail me at longhornmail@yahoo.com
Andy, in Columbus Ohio

Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote