The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2016, 03:47 PM   #126
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Re: Out of the Ditch = The Rebuild Begins ('72 GMC)

You definitely have some good karma going on. It's nice to see it on the slots again.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:40 PM   #127
swamp rat

That's great news! I agree on the weather, i took Friday and Monday off to get a few things accomplished myself!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:54 AM   #128
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Today is one month from the day I ordered this kit. It arrived on my doorstep yesterday evening.

I guess all the talk of CPP having lousy shipping and customer service is correct. Even though I ordered through Summit Racing, I had to have Summit contact CPP 3 times to get any details about my order. Taking a month to ship in stock parts is a joke.

But, I have them and will install them this weekend. CPP will not ever get another dime from me.

Gary
Attached Images

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:08 PM   #129
swamp rat

Next time Porterbuilt? Anyway i saw that other pic on Facebook yesterday and i gotta agree.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:10 PM   #130
kehstr

I agree with the Superbowl thing!!
kehstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:27 PM   #131
flashed

Super Bowl ,whats that ? Never watched one ,never will .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:26 PM   #132
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Pulled the springs out of the 1969 front end yesterday. Now I know why there were a crap load of adjustment shims in the upper control arm and hard rubber spacers in the spring on the passenger side. The spring was broken.

Here is a shot of the drivers side stock spring next to the CPP lowering spring.

Gonna do ball joints today and paint some stuff like the 1972 spindles. Pic is the 1969 drums and spindles sitting next to the 1972 disc brake spindles.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:29 PM   #133
med.bronze

Just ran across your build today and enjoyed reading thru your progress. I noticed you have the same black seat cover as mine and you got some samples from SMS. Did you go ahead and order from them? I just sent them an inquiry for some samples. Ive ordered some NOS vinyl from them in the past for another project and was very happy with there service.

1971 K-10 Custom Deluxe

1971 K-10 Custom
med.bronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:53 PM   #134
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Hi bronze... I haven't gotten that far yet. My seat is stripped apart, but the donor 1972 GMC I bought has a really nice seat in it with a decent cover, so I will just use that for now. Then down the road I will get a more factory looking cover.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-08-2016, 05:04 PM   #135
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

More progress over the weekend. Plus today is my day off so still screwing around while the sun is out. Which has been a rarity lately.

The front end has been a nightmare. Taking apart 40 year old stuff always has bad things rear their ugly head. One of the lower control arms on the '69 frame is cracked from eons of rust where the shaft goes through it. The upper control arms were rust welded to the point they don't even move.

When I removed them the studs that hold the upper arms to the frame pretty much stripped all the threads away. So I'm sure it's just a matter of beating them out and beating new ones in. Fun times.

The arms from the '69 are all not in that great of shape, whereas the stuff from the '72 are in really good shape. So the '72 arms will get a cleaning and be used for this build.

Also the lower control arm cross shaft saddles came off the crossmember and the rivet that centers the shaft fell apart from rust. I'm sure there is an easy fix for this, but maybe I'm just over thinking things. So I have to address that too.

Getting the rear coils out was a bigger job than I wanted it to be. I had to grind off the bolt heads of the lower bolts as they were rust welded into the cups. They've been sitting for 4 days with PB Blaster soaking them. Still nada... so out came the grinder. I got the passenger side coil out and the upper cup off. But the drivers side upper bolt and nut is not budging. So the hot wrench and grinder will probably be used on that one too.

I keep telling myself how much fun this is.

But progress is being made!

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-08-2016, 05:22 PM   #136
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
Getting the rear coils out was a bigger job than I wanted it to be. I had to grind off the bolt heads of the lower bolts as they were rust welded into the cups. They've been sitting for 4 days with PB Blaster soaking them. Still nada... so out came the grinder. I got the passenger side coil out and the upper cup off. But the drivers side upper bolt and nut is not budging. So the hot wrench and grinder will probably be used on that one too.

I keep telling myself how much fun this is.

But progress is being made!

Gary
I somewhat recently dropped my truck. The front end went OK because I did a rebuild like 12 years ago and did a refresh to it while it was apart.

That back I had never touched and was an absolute nightmare that made me wish I had a set of torches!!! And this was a south carolina truck, frame just has surface rust, but those rear coil spring bolts/perches were damn near rust-welded together!

My impact gun couldn't do squat with this, and I saw why after I had it cut out (this was the DS upper spring bolt)...

1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:53 PM   #137
steelhorse

Can't wait to see it done.
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:20 PM   #138
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Installed the rear 4" drop springs with new clamp/retainers and hardware. Springs are from CPP and the clamp kit was from LMC. Bolted in EZPZ. Way easier to bolt in then it was to remove the stock springs and clamps.

Installed new upper and lower cross shafts up front. The lower shafts were a tad different, but after I started to install them it made sense. The seals are a bit different and improved over the stock shafts so they needed to machine a deeper shoulder on the shaft. Still bolted in and lined up just fine. You can see the difference in the pic.

I bought new 9/16" grade 8 lower control arm U-bolts from Summit Racing. They are actually for later model trucks but will work with my 1972 shafts. The holes through the crossmember and through the cradles of the 1969 frame are already large enough for the bolts no problem, so I didn't have to drill them out. The thick grade 8 washers did not come with the bolt kits. I sourced those locally (Ace Hardware) and they will have to have a tad bit of grinding done to them to line up correctly in the crossmember.

If anyone is interested, the U-bolts are made by Dorman and here is the Summit Racing part number: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-13503 They are only $8 bucks per side. So for $16 bones and $5 more for shipping you're done. Nice and cheap!

Will install the front drop springs soon. Just gotta get new disc rotors and calipers and I can then bolt everything up front back together.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-27-2016, 05:15 PM   #139
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Got what was left of the lower control arm crossshaft centering rivets removed from the frame.

Have them mocked up with the new 9/16" U-bolts I got from Summit Racing. Have to work swing shift today so will probably have the arms installed tomorrow or Monday.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-08-2016, 05:17 PM   #140
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

More progress...

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-08-2016, 08:23 PM   #141
flashed

Looks good .
Old 03-08-2016, 10:56 PM   #142
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Looks like someone is swapping to discs. Looks good.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:23 AM   #143
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Thanks you'se guys! Yep... swapping all my old 1972 stuff over to the 1969 frame. I used the 1972 upper and lower control arms (installed new Moog ball joints) and put new cross shafts and bushings in them. I used the stock 1972 spindles and 2" CPP drop springs. I just bought new rotors, bearings, calipers and pads today.

I also picked up new Moog inner and outer tie rod ends today as well. I'm using all the 1972 steering linkage and the 1972 power steering box too.

I had bought new upper cross shaft mounting studs that go through the frame, but ended up just using a thread chaser on the old ones and bought new locking nuts for them.

It should be sitting on all 4 paws very soon.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-09-2016, 01:29 PM   #144
RRR18

Cool man. Nice progress.

Follow on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/rtimes3c10/

Ryan
RRR18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:03 PM   #145
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Some more done today before swing shift. New rotors (and new bearings), new shocks, and calipers mocked up. I cleaned up and painted the disc brake backing shields as well.

The 1969 frame has the brake hose tabs on the rear of the crossmember, so I need to weld on new tabs in the front of the crossmember to run my disc brake hoses like they were on my 1972.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-09-2016, 06:51 PM   #146
flashed

It's looking good under there .
Old 03-21-2016, 05:00 PM   #147
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Lotsa stuff happened over the weekend. Ol' Creeping Death is sitting on its own paws bearing it's own weight. Been almost 2 years since those ET's were bolted to it.

Got some new bushings and grade 8 fasteners for the stock 1 1/16" sway bar too.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-21-2016, 08:05 PM   #148
flashed

Sway bar looks great ,I need to get one for my 72 .
Old 03-23-2016, 08:08 AM   #149
Low Elco

Good to see it back on it's feet!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:53 PM   #150
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Working swings this week so got a little more progress done in the last couple of mornings.

I got pretty much everything I need off of the old bent frame with the exception of removing the bed, the front 2 saddles for the bed mounts, and the rear bumper. Everything else frame related is being cut up and going to scrap. The empty rear end housing, leaf springs and drop shackles might be spoken for, but I won't know if he's serious until I finally unbolt them from the frame.

I am going to use the driveline and original style carrier bearing and carrier bearing mount from my 1972. So I removed the rivets holding the 1969 carrier bearing mount and mocked up the bolt in one from the 1972. So far it looks like it will fit fine. But I won't know if I need to modify the length of my 1972 driveline from the leaf sprung truck to fit the 1969 coil sprung truck until I get the engine and transmission set into place. Luckily there is a driveline service shop just over an hour from my house that can do all the modification I might need. Or even build me a custom unit.

I have a couple more threads going in the main section only because I wanted help and opinions away from the build thread. But here they are if anyone might be interested.

Paint code thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=700867

Moving or not moving the fuel tank thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=703245

That's all for now...

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote: