The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2019, 05:32 AM   #1
TXapache

What modern wheel works with original center cap?

I would like to know if anyone has used a modern smoothie type wheel with original style Chevy center caps? I purchased a new set of caps years ago and I’m tired of looking for old wheels with clips to use.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:06 PM   #2
57tailgater

Re: What modern wheel works with original center cap?

Looks like you can buy just the clips to put on non-original wheels. I googled 1957 Chevy truck hubcap clips and came up with links to them (like picture below) at Classic Parts, Tuckers, Bowtie Bits and ebay so they are out there.

Or you can do something like this: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postcount=408
Attached Images

Last edited by 57tailgater; 04-25-2019 at 12:09 PM. Reason: update
57tailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 01:19 PM   #3
TXapache

Has anyone done this? I was thinking of doing it on a chrome smoothie.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:21 PM   #4
mr48chev

Yep, you have to put the clips on so they will work and then hope you got the clips centered right so the caps don't wobble like the hubs on a clown car in a parade when you go down the street.

It might be productive to make yourself a drill guide off an original wheel to get the spacing right on the clips and get them centered. By that I mean cutting out a round piece of card stock that fits inside the clips and using a ball pein hammer tap the pattern of where the rivets are in the cardboard and tap out the outline of the center hole so you can use that or a more solid pattern made from that to mark your holes in the wheels you have to drill them.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 01:55 PM   #5
joedoh

I just did this on a set of mobsteel wheels. the mosteels have a chevy rally center cap that looks too small.

its important to say, wheel vintiques makes Chevrolet caps in a variety of styles to fit their smoothie (rally cap) or gennie (8") or oem (10" cap) wheels. the prefix is WV-2030 then an A or a G or no suffix for the different styles.

I wanted stock style GMC caps and no one makes them. wheelsmith,net says they can make anything to fit anything but it comes at a cost, he quoted $160 per cap. not wanting to spend that, I bought an original clip style set of caps and a set of cheap rally poverty caps. it wasnt as simple as welding the rally mount to the clip cap on mine, although it may be on yours, I figured out that I needed to cut the clip cap down only slightly to let the entire rally poverty cap to be set in, leveled, and spot welded in. I used a piece of 11ga as a standoff

I used my 6" cutoff wheel in an angle grinder and held the cutoff wheel flush to the jig

then I put the unmodified rally cap in the hole, it was simple to get it centered and dot welds around it. the extra material in the bend of the rally cap kept it from burning through and I was happy.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:26 PM   #6
TXapache

I saw the WV caps, the Chevy bow tie cap looks good but I’ve had these factory style caps for years and always wanted to use them. I’ll try and see how difficult it is to fit them, if it’s beyond my skills then I’ll go with WV caps. Thanks
Old 04-25-2019, 03:02 PM   #7
joedoh

they arent bowtie. they look just like the 47-53 clip cap and fit smoothie wheels.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Wheel-Vintiqu...030-A/10002/-1

I used them on a 49 chevy, they are SUPER high quality pieces.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:06 PM   #8
Lays Low

Im also looking for this info. been looking at buying a set of gmc/chevy 2500 van wheels. they look like original but come in 16" and 8lug like I need for my 3800. Also wondering if the 17" steel wheels off a ram 2500 would easily allow centercaps. I havent seen any photos of it done yet.
Lays Low is offline   Reply With Quote