The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2019, 04:46 PM   #1
Mike_The_Grad

Need help fixin a race. :)

Like the title says. I got a 1964 c10 front drum bearing hub issue. I'm replacing the front wheel bearings and races. I got the old ones out, and the drivers side hub races back in. But the passenger side outer bearing race practically dropped into the bore and it's got wiggle room. I can free spin it in the hub bore with just a finger. No way does it catch on any part of the bore. It is the exact same part number as what I pulled out. And I did have to drive the old one out with a brass punch and hammer. It was cratered too by the way. It had a ridge worn into the face of the race plus spalling and all of the other bad signs of a worn wheel bearing.

What are my options? New hub? Peen the outside of the race and set it with some red locktite? Fo they make a repair bearing for the front on these? Oh yeah, I'm out here working on it right now sitting next to all these brand new moog parts I want to put on her.
Attached Images

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:59 PM   #2
jocko

Re: Need help fixin a race. :)

Were the new driver and passenger side races the same part number?
How does the loose new passenger side one fit onto the driver's side hub? Loose or interference fit?
If it's loose on both sides and the you bought two of the same part number, and the driver's side fit - I'd return the loose race, it's likely the wrong part in the box. (Is the part # on the box or on the race somewhere?)
Bummer, that kinda stuff drives me nuts... slows down a project.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:00 PM   #3
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

I have seen where some parts are boxed as one part number but are not. Take it back and get another to see if it’s the hub

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:23 PM   #4
350TacoZilla

Yeah I would check the part number on actual bearing and race (usually have them along the inner rim of the race and bearing.) if it is the correct part number but you can spin it by hand it might be time for a new hub. If it is hand tight going in and out of hub bore but you cant spin it freely I have peened the outside of the race and the hub where race rides and then hammered them together.
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:42 PM   #5
bhap

Check the bearing numbers to be sure and compare new to old from both sides - they should be the same size. If there was spalling to the old bearing and evidence of heat damage, your hub could be toast. I had a right outer bearing go bad and disintegrate. The hub on that side was way easier to get the bearing race in and out of. If you can spin it by hand, it's too loose.
bhap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:11 PM   #6
AussieinNC

Try and source another used hub....I have witnessed the hub bores expand due to age and wear, especially if the hub grease cap is ever missing for a perios of time...

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 02:15 PM   #7
Mike_The_Grad

Thanks to all that have replied. I compared the old race to the new race. I had two different bearing races on the truck. Different as in one side had part numbers (inner&outer) the other side did not have any part numbers (inner and outer) the outer race with no part number fits the hub in the same way as my new replacement does. It's a little tight as it starts to go in but then it drops into place and It free spins in the bore. I remember as i was punching out the old race that it only took a couple of good whacks with my mini sledge and brass punch to free it from the bore. When I looked at where the bearing rides in the race there was an actual ridge worn into the face of the bearing race. And the outside diameter of the race looked like it got hot as it was slightly blued and had pitting. The inside of the hub bore for the outer bearing looks the same but not discolored. I'm thinking someone in the past over tightened the bearing causing it to heat up and wallow out the hub bore.

Well, it appears that my only option at this point is to try and find a replacement hub. Which sucks because I just replaced all of the wheel studs on that one because one of the studs was snapped in half when we bought it. HMM... now I'm starting to think the two issues may be related to one another. Oh well, keep the project rollin on.

Anybody got a spare hub then wanna get rid of?
I'll post in the WTB just in case.
Thanks again to all your input. That's why I love this site.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:30 PM   #8
Mike_The_Grad

Well before I accept the inevitable I'm gonna try and peen the bore of the bearing hub and set the race with red locktite. I guess it was a trick back in the day. Hopefully it still works nowadays. This is at the request of my dad, being his truck and all. I have to at least entertain the idea.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:59 PM   #9
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I would buy a hub that the bearing presses into tightly, personally. A little bit of off-center is not something that I would accept with a bearing. If your dad never goes on the freeway or any kind of high speed, you will probably get away with it. I would predict early failure, though. The hub is going to get stress risers from being peened and may fail in an unfriendly and unexpected fashion.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 12:32 AM   #10
Mike_The_Grad

Steeveedee,
I hear ya. Believe me I tried expressing my concern for all things logical that could go awry. But, my dad wants what he wants. I think once it's all set and done it may be alright, but I'm only saying this because of what we have planned for the truck. As of right now it's a 1964 c10 LWB with a 5" drop out back with a c notch and 3" drop up front. Drums all around. 4 speed with granny low gear behind a fresh rebuilt 292. Cant speak to the rearend gearing because I dont know. No power brakes, no power steering. Its gonna be a cruiser for sure. No V8 swap planned ever. No disc brake swap(as of right now, but I'm pushing for it.) All new drums, brake lines,hoses,shoes,springs everything. All new Moog upper/lower ball joints, upper/lower control arm shafts, inner/outer tie rods, idler arm, drop shocks front and back. AAW rewire kit. Itll be nice when it's done. And hopefully I get to fox the hub the right way before it hits the road. Thanks for your input though, much appreciated.

Old 04-24-2019, 05:03 AM   #11
Nappers

Has anyone tried to weld a bead in the hub and had it machined to size?

Seen a shaft get welded up when worn out and turned down on a lathe, just the opposite with the hub eh?

If I had a lathe, I'd try!
Nappers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 01:27 PM   #12
pdxhall

replace the hub. Don't mess around with shade tree fixes. It's a matter of safety. you should be able to pick up one here on the site. A lot of members convert to disc's so the hubs should be plentiful.

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote