The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-10-2013, 12:42 AM   #1
Z10

72 GMC Short Step Build

Thanks to all who have given advice and encouragement to me over the past year, about building my 72 GMC Short Step. August of 2012 I purchased the 72 from Ebay by mistake. I was looking for a truck to build as my weekend warrior, because every guy needs an old truck. Oh, and this is my first pickup.

Back to the mistake. Found an ad on ebay with a buy it now price of $12k or make offer. Well, it looked like a decent truck but I wasn't paying $12k for this truck so I make what I thought was a crazy offer. Long story short the buyer accepted the offer and now I find myself an owner of a truck I've never seen, driven, or heard. I posted the story of my 900 mile trip from Missouri, back to West Texas and the minor issue of a blown tire and no tools to change it. The truck ran Ok, but couldn't pass a gas station and with no A/C and 100+ degree temps, the trip was a bit brutal.

I purchased a Vintage Air kit the first week I got back, which has been sitting in my garage until last week. I purchased a new ZZ4 turn key engine, a GM rebuilt 700R4 from a 90 Corvette, new Boss wheels, and started gathering parts for the build.

I have two great buddies that have volunteered to help with the build, one is a mechanical and fabrication genius and the other is an electrical engineer who just for grins and giggles likes to break the code on GM computers. With out these guys and the help and advice of others, this build would at best be difficult for me or at worst never get completed. I'm really turning into the gopher and guy with the check book.

About 3 months ago or so, the old tired small block 400 and 350 trans was pulled and I got busy cleaning and painting the engine compartment. Life has a way of slowing down projects and it did on this one. But two weeks ago, I got a text from the fab expert and said, we're coming after your truck and we're starting. So, 30 minutes later my truck is being pulled via a 1958 Chevy short step to my buddy's shop.

The plan is to have the truck running and driving before Christmas. So, if your inclined, follow along with my progress, updates, and photos.

Installement 1.

Pics of the truck as I found it.

1979 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 & 1979 Pontiac Trans Am 10th Anniversary
1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i

Last edited by Z10; 12-21-2013 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Change title
Z10 is offline   Reply With Quote