The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2010, 06:07 PM   #1
yote1234

whats better matrix or ppg?

ok. painter wants to go matrix, i've been told go ppg.most of you guys know better than i. ppg is about twice the cost but is it twice as good?
1968 Camaro 327
1968 Honda mini-trail z50a #377
1966 uh 1-D Huey
yote1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:45 PM   #2
Mike 85
Face your fears

Re: whats better matrix or ppg?

Paint is paint and it all goes down to COVERAGE and number of coats/primer color base to achieve the color desired. ANY paint line can cover "depending" on color.If it's a "specality" color,your best off going high end on the base as it WILL do it's job as per the tech sheet on primer/base or in the case of a "great" base,cover reguardless of primer color within reason,especally with a solid color.Metallics are best left to the high end base's as they do their job and require less "work" to achieve desired results.
Your "biggest" concern will be the clear over it.
I have "little" faith in Matrix's clears.
I chose to stay with a "known" clear and will pay the price for IT because if you go "cheap" on the clear,you can have delam or bleeding issues later or sooner if it's a really cheap line such as Matrix or the 5* crap.
For clears,I would go with SouthernPolyurethanes Universial or MS line as it works over ANY base or the "good" PPG line or even Dupont.Nason's high end is even a great choice as it's Duponts line "downsized" and is still a good product.

My Junk
Mike 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:42 AM   #3
Musclerodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 85 View Post
Paint is paint and it all goes down to COVERAGE and number of coats/primer color base to achieve the color desired. ANY paint line can cover "depending" on color.If it's a "specality" color,your best off going high end on the base as it WILL do it's job as per the tech sheet on primer/base or in the case of a "great" base,cover reguardless of primer color within reason,especally with a solid color.Metallics are best left to the high end base's as they do their job and require less "work" to achieve desired results.
Your "biggest" concern will be the clear over it.
I have "little" faith in Matrix's clears.
I chose to stay with a "known" clear and will pay the price for IT because if you go "cheap" on the clear,you can have delam or bleeding issues later or sooner if it's a really cheap line such as Matrix or the 5* crap.
For clears,I would go with SouthernPolyurethanes Universial or MS line as it works over ANY base or the "good" PPG line or even Dupont.Nason's high end is even a great choice as it's Duponts line "downsized" and is still a good product.
Nice contradiction of yourself. Paint is NOT paint, and you truly get what you pay for. PPG DBC for bc/cc or DBU for ss is as good as its gets with exception to some of the Euro lines of paint
Old 06-14-2010, 10:20 PM   #4
Painter D

Ppg

'63 Buick Riviera ... AccuAir E-level, 20" Billet Specialties (Vintecs)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=528853&page=5

Last edited by Painter D; 06-14-2010 at 10:20 PM.
Painter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 04:24 AM   #5
HOGDADDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclerodz View Post
Nice contradiction of yourself. Paint is NOT paint, and you truly get what you pay for. PPG DBC for bc/cc or DBU for ss is as good as its gets with exception to some of the Euro lines of paint
DBU is no ss paint its PPG'S older bc/cc system and its what I am using on my 86 code 29 blue.

DIU is ss interior & underhood paint that does not require clearcoating.

Maybe you confused the two??

Last edited by HOGDADDY; 07-03-2010 at 04:25 AM.
HOGDADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:00 AM   #6
BigDan3131

I would stick with PPG unless they used the primers and such from Matrix. Paint solvents sometimes can cause mysterious issues when you don't stick to one source. Are the giving you a written warranty? Did it say it was with Matrix's system?
BigDan3131 is offline   Reply With Quote