The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2017, 11:52 PM   #1
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Brakes- '70 C20

OK, I had a contamination issue with my truck and am going through the hydraulics. That's under control, but I have a problem with the rear brake shoes, which to me is just crazy. I bought relined brake shoes at NAPA, and they have too little friction material on them. I was a state-licensed ASE-certified mechanic back in the day, and I know what brake shoes look like. For those of you who know, most applications have a smaller primary shoe lining and a longer lining on the secondary shoe. But some trucks have the same amount of lining on both shoes. The shoes I got look like primary shoes- all four of them! Does NAPA consider this to be the same thing? I could understand even having the primary shoe being shorter on my truck, but that shorter secondary shoe lining length is a concern. I have a camper shell and stuff in it, and haul a trailer. The brakes need to be right. I'm taking them back tomorrow for a refund, but I'm going to have to find another place that has the right stuff (I know where to go for them- it's just gonna cost me a little more), but since I can do all the work myself, an extra $20 for shoes is not a big deal. It's also annoying that I've got about 4 hours in a 1 hour repair, based on not getting the right parts. I bought new springs and adjusters, but the adjusters I got weren't not only wrong, but two different sizes, to boot.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:05 AM   #2
toolboxchev

Re: Brakes- '70 C20

That Napa for you, I just went through the same on my truck, Oh they said they meet or exceed OEM spec. Said the same about bonded line also. BULLCRAP! Look at the service manuals listed in this site.

I will use Raybestos or Wagner again in the future. American made, not the Chinwaa crud.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:51 AM   #3
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

Avoid NAPA
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Custom Camper "Dump Truck"
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Suburban "Big Green"
1969 Chevrolet C-50 Wedge Hauler "Leonidis"
1966 C-10 2x4 short fleet 327 4 speed "Race Truck"
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook "Rican" (my grandfathers)
1931 Ford Model A Coupe "Black Beauty"
1930 Ford Model A truck "Club Cab" 4x4

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

It's not just a hobby..It's a LIFESTYLE!!!

Thanks for nothing Barrett-Jackson

You cant fix stupid or teach accountability!

Time wasters, looky Lous and tire kickers are everywhere!
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:52 PM   #4
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I took the incorrect adjuster screws back, and was going to pick up the replacement parts. They ordered adjuster screws for 13" brakes, way too big! Re-ordered the correct part numbers, since the guy there that is older than me (!) agrees with me that they were probably "boxed wrong", which in partsmanspeak means that the guy at the factory put it in the wrong box. A highly technical term, that. This ain't rocket science!

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:04 AM   #5
chevylemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolboxchev View Post
That Napa for you, I just went through the same on my truck, Oh they said they meet or exceed OEM spec. Said the same about bonded line also. BULLCRAP! Look at the service manuals listed in this site.

I will use Raybestos or Wagner again in the future. American made, not the Chinwaa crud.
Hate to "brake" it to you but napa brand brakes are raybestos in some states, otherwise they are rayloc. Unless you specifically buy the fleet, akebono, or Altrom brakes. Raybestos and wagner aren't made in the USA anymore. Only problem I have with people saying China crud is that they are at the top of the list for manufacturing anything. There is a reason "everything" is made in China. Not only is there manufacturing facilities stocked with the best equipment, depending on the contract, they have very strict quality control compared to us based companies. What gave them a bad rap was companies giving them contracts and settling for what was cheapest to make better profits. while not looking into if it was safe, reliable, or USA compliant.
chevylemon is offline   Reply With Quote