The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2017, 11:31 PM   #1
simicrintz

White Blazer/Grey top?

Currently have a white Blazer with a black top (stock configuration?) and am considering painting the top a medium grey (the black gets hot in Southern California and I do not have AC). Has anyone done this or does anyone have a pic? Wife is skeptical (this was her Dads truck and she says the top has always been black and should stay black) and I am thinking if I can show her a pic(s) it might strengthen my pitch! There is already some grey on the truck (her Dad painted some stuff under the hood and the rear tow hitch bracket grey) so it is not just some rogue color I've dreamt up to add!

Thanks all!
Old 12-10-2017, 11:29 AM   #2
LuckyScott

Re: White Blazer/Grey top?

Im a car guy with about a dozen classic cars. Two or three are always under construction..........(well, are any of them ever completely done?)

After 27 years of marriage I have learned that if the wife says she likes something, go with what she likes. Plenty of other things that you can change that she won't care about.
If the gray turns out good, she will remind you that she always liked black. If the gray turns out bad, she will remind you that she never wanted to make the change.
Make your life easy, Happy wife, Happy life.
LuckyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:56 AM   #3
simicrintz

Good advice; thank you LS!

Quick story: I have a '68 Jeepster convertible (they made 472 of my model that year). I was doing some work on it about 10 years ago (I have had it for about 35 years) and one of the things that was on the list was paint. I really wanted to paint it yellow but my wife (she was my GF at the time) suggested taking it back to stock, which is a combo of turquoise and white, and I did. In the end, it was the right decision and I get many compliments on it (it even won Best of Show at the Jeepster 50th Anniversary event in Moab this year).

I took a look at your profile and see you are a landscape contractor just up north of me. I am a swimming pool contractor down here; too bad we are not closer and could work on projects together; I am always looking for a good landscape contractor!

Thank you again for the advice! I'm gonna kick it around (still sounds good in my head) but would love to see a pic from someone who's done this combo before I pull the trigger
Old 12-10-2017, 07:26 PM   #4
LuckyScott

Escondito is a little bit away from where I am located, but when I was a kid I used to spend every single vacation day in Encinitas. My uncle and aunt had a small avocado ranch there and I loved working on the ranch. You guys have a nice area to live in.
LuckyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:52 PM   #5
truckster

All you need are multiple layers of gray. Start out really dark, and a month later spray a slightly lighter coat. Keep going like that, and within a year or two you'll have the color you want and you can tell her the paint faded.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:01 PM   #6
simicrintz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyScott View Post
Escondito is a little bit away from where I am located, but when I was a kid I used to spend every single vacation day in Encinitas. My uncle and aunt had a small avocado ranch there and I loved working on the ranch. You guys have a nice area to live in.
I grew up on ten acres of avocados in Escondido (Mom still lives in the house; Dad passed away almost 23 years ago now. I live about 8 houses down from Mom). That's funny as I have spent a lot of time in Encinitas (and do quite a bit of work there still) as a kid, just hanging out at the beach and surfing. Ah-the good old days!
Old 12-10-2017, 11:02 PM   #7
simicrintz

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
All you need are multiple layers of gray. Start out really dark, and a month later spray a slightly lighter coat. Keep going like that, and within a year or two you'll have the color you want and you can tell her the paint faded.
Not a bad idea at all!
Old 12-11-2017, 11:24 PM   #8
simicrintz

Went out in the garage a little bit ago and looked at the build sticker in the glove box (interior paint is all original) and it shows the top as black, so to keep that matching the build sticker I think I will keep the top black.

That said, I still think the top would look cool in a medium to dark grey and I do not ever recall seeing one that color. Have any of you seen one in grey (or have a pic)?
Old 12-12-2017, 01:57 AM   #9
truckster

Here you go. It's not mine, but I sure like the way it looks.
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2017, 02:09 AM   #10
simicrintz

What a beautiful truck; wow!! Thank you for posting that up-got me back to thinking grey again!
Old 12-16-2017, 10:38 AM   #11
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Another thought would be to take a good side shot picture of yours and post it in the photoshop section here. Ask one of the guys if they would photoshop the top gray. Not a whole lot of traffic there but maybe someone can help you out with it.

Here is a link to that section

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...splay.php?f=33

Richard
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:12 PM   #12
simicrintz

Great idea, Richard! As a newb I hate to ask folks to do something for me, but since I have never attempted to Photoshop anything I might just see if I can contribute to something (!) before I ask
Old 12-16-2017, 01:17 PM   #13
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

A couple of the guys have done a few things for me. Just give them the best picture you can so it is not so much work. Usually a square on side shot seems to be what they want. Several of them are very good at it, me, not so much. I have found just keep it simple on the requests and you will get better responses. Your request seems like a very good candidate. Good Luck with it.
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:30 PM   #14
simicrintz

Very cool! I moderate an old Jeepster page and so many times the newbs come in without so much as an introduction and are just looking for advice or to try and sell something. I always feel like if they would just take a little bit of time to let folks know them it would help them. It is a very easy going and "clean" page (as this seems to be) and not like Pirate (I believe there is a place for Pirate but it is not the kind of page I am looking for. I looked at quite a few Blazer pages before settling on this one as it seems similar to the Jeepster page with clean posts, no flaming and helpful folks). I don't want to be "that guy"!