The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-20-2018, 09:43 AM   #1
bpope

To Cup or not to Cup

Hello,

I currently have my '65 short step torn apart awaiting my airride kit (getting delivered today). It is a BC Fab Level 3 kit (which come plates for top of bag and bag cups for bottom). My truck currently has 2.5" drop spindles but, I cannot decide on whether or not to cup the LCA's. I by no means want to lay frame. I like them low, but I like a stance. I'm just concerned it might not be low enough with the bags sitting in the stock springs pockets. I have also read that cupping them allows for a little better ride at ride height? Attached is a pic of my truck with the static drop...can anyone let me know about where it will sit in the front with the 2.5" drop spindles and bags sitting in stock LCA spring pockets? Will it get much lower than what it already is? I don't really want to trim inner fender wells and the tires are 205/75/15. Thanks!
Attached Images

Last edited by bpope; 06-20-2018 at 02:18 PM.
bpope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:04 PM   #2
bpope

Re: To Cup or not to Cup

If it sat this low in the front with the setup I have...I would be happy.
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2018, 12:42 PM   #3
bpope

Giving an update here. Well, I got the bags bolted on and jacked the LCA as far as it would go and it really doesn't seem low enough. I don't really get it as seeing pics of other trucks with the same setup, they seem way lower. I have a pic of another truck (Malibobs) that has the exact same setup as mine - but mine doesn't look near that low. Would it get lower with the weight of the truck on it? Doesn't seem like it would. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The lower cup mount that came with the kit is 1-7/8" tall (BC Fab Kit). I would want it to ride at the height of my pics attached...not when it is aired out. Bags are Dominator 2600's. I have 1-1/2" before the top of the tire hits the inner fender well (as it is pictured here - have not put the truck on the ground yet, just jacked up the LCA as far as it would go.) Tires are 215/75/15.
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2018, 01:51 PM   #4
tinydb84

I cant help on the actual height questions.

The bags are designed to be used at the height they are when there is no pressure applied. By cupping them you can both improve the ride while having a lower ride height as well as air out lower.

If you want to see how low it will be when you cup it you can take the bag out and jack the wheel up to whatever height you want. You will eventually run into the inner fenders (as you mentioned) as well as the steering shaft too.
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:26 PM   #5
bluex

Do you have the bag hooked to the valve or the shipping plug in the bag when you are raising the lower arm? The air naturally in the bag could still be compressing and not letting it fully deflate.

The shocks could be stopping its travel or it could also be the ball joints binding.

With just cups, 2600 bags and plates my 78 puts the a-arms about 1/4" off the ground. I know the trucks are different but the suspension design is basically the same.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:33 AM   #6
bpope

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluex View Post
Do you have the bag hooked to the valve or the shipping plug in the bag when you are raising the lower arm? The air naturally in the bag could still be compressing and not letting it fully deflate.

The shocks could be stopping its travel or it could also be the ball joints binding.

With just cups, 2600 bags and plates my 78 puts the a-arms about 1/4" off the ground. I know the trucks are different but the suspension design is basically the same.
Bags did not have the plug in them, just the air line fitting not hooked to anything. Shocks were unhooked, but i agree it could be binding the ball joint. So your lower control arms are stock? Not cupped for a recessed bag?
Old 07-01-2018, 01:22 PM   #7
bpope

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydb84 View Post
I cant help on the actual height questions.

The bags are designed to be used at the height they are when there is no pressure applied. By cupping them you can both improve the ride while having a lower ride height as well as air out lower.

If you want to see how low it will be when you cup it you can take the bag out and jack the wheel up to whatever height you want. You will eventually run into the inner fenders (as you mentioned) as well as the steering shaft too.
Thanks for the info! Im going to have them cupped this week. Today i will play around with it with no bags in to see how much lower it goes.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:36 PM   #8
bluex

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpope View Post
Bags did not have the plug in them, just the air line fitting not hooked to anything. Shocks were unhooked, but i agree it could be binding the ball joint. So your lower control arms are stock? Not cupped for a recessed bag?
Ya they are stock, just removed the bump stop and its bracket, moog problem solver ball joints and poly bushings.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:42 AM   #9
bpope

Quote:
Ya they are stock, just removed the bump stop and its bracket, moog problem solver ball joints and poly bushings.
Cool. Thanks for the info. I took the bags out and am having the LCA's cupped. This will be as low as it will go since the tires are bottoming out on the inner fender well and this will be low enough for me!
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2018, 12:19 PM   #10
tinydb84

Quote:
low enough for me!
That's what we all say...
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:39 PM   #11
bpope

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydb84 View Post
That's what we all say...
LOL, I know. Every other truck I have lowered could have always been just a little more.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:11 AM   #12
bluex

I have the stuff to cup mine but I haven't done it just yet. I mainly want to do it so the bag is positively located at the bottom. My cups move around sometimes, mainly if I air it out on unlevel ground. Then I wind up with uneven pressures to get my ride height and the ride quality suffers as well.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:27 AM   #13
bpope

Quote:
I have the stuff to cup mine but I haven't done it just yet. I mainly want to do it so the bag is positively located at the bottom. My cups move around sometimes, mainly if I air it out on unlevel ground. Then I wind up with uneven pressures to get my ride height and the ride quality suffers as well.
That's pretty interesting. I do like the idea that I will be able to bolt the bottom one in now, once they are cupped.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:59 PM   #14
Flatline454

Needs more triangulation!!! Wait, I thought we were talking about a full cage...
Old 02-14-2019, 07:17 PM   #15
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatline454 View Post
Needs more triangulation!!! Wait, I thought we were talking about a full cage...
Uhmm….. Huh?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:03 PM   #16
kev2809
low n' slo

Quote:
Cool. Thanks for the info. I took the bags out and am having the LCA's cupped. This will be as low as it will go since the tires are bottoming out on the inner fender well and this will be low enough for me!
so howd it go? cupped is the way to go and an easy few inches of drop

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:31 PM   #17
bpope

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev2809 View Post
so howd it go? cupped is the way to go and an easy few inches of drop
Well, I should have had the guy that cupped them use larger pipe. I couldn't get comfortable with the Airlift D2600 bags with the pipe we used. They were just too close for comfort. I borrowed some SS 8" bags and they fit without any problems and it rides fine in my opinion. But yes - it wouldn't have been low enough without cupping.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:21 PM   #18
kev2809
low n' slo

Quote:
Well, I should have had the guy that cupped them use larger pipe. I couldn't get comfortable with the Airlift D2600 bags with the pipe we used. They were just too close for comfort. I borrowed some SS 8" bags and they fit without any problems and it rides fine in my opinion. But yes - it wouldn't have been low enough without cupping.
same problem i had. i bought 8" cupped arms with 2600s and they were super close when aired out. ended up putting 2500s

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
Old 02-18-2019, 06:27 PM   #19
bpope

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev2809 View Post
same problem i had. i bought 8" cupped arms with 2600s and they were super close when aired out. ended up putting 2500s
How does it ride with 2500s? I was thinking of a set of those over the SS. The SS I have in I borrowed from a friend and they are showing their age and I need to get some new ones.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:02 PM   #20
bluex

Funny this pooped back up. I wound up getting in an accident (inattentive driver) that ruined my pass side front suspension. I never got around to cupping my stock arms an I have choppin block arms on it now. It lays the crossmemeber on the ground now, with 40 psi in the bags still...
Old 02-18-2019, 08:09 PM   #21
kev2809
low n' slo

Quote:
How does it ride with 2500s? I was thinking of a set of those over the SS. The SS I have in I borrowed from a friend and they are showing their age and I need to get some new ones.
only drove it down the street lol. i got burnt out on it in 2014. rolled it out the garage and havent really touched it since. im sure im gonna have to get new bags but ill probably go with the same dominator bags.

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__