The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2014, 08:38 AM   #101
c20pickup

Re: This is my sons first truck..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstaten69 View Post
Hello c20pickup,
This is Wyatt, I was reading the last few post and when I seen your I laughed.. I would never do that my dad is O.C.D with the garage and his tools, he can tell when any of us even touch his stuff. He even put his tools in the dishwasher ever now and then... Thanks for all of the replies love to read them and working on this truck with my dad is really kool.
Are you planning on keeping the gold/white? My personal opinion says yes! I think that scheme looks great all polished up with a set of color matched steelies and chrome hub caps! Keep up the good work. Will be following!
c20pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:59 AM   #102
sstaten69

c20picup,
Just seen what my son posted. oh I'm not that bad just like to know where everything is and have it clean... kids. Oh he isn't keeping the gold/white he is still wanting to go satin black with green real fire, lower it a little (our roads suck)with bigger rims, he also wants to make it a short bed, power brakes and steering. To just name a few things. But all in good time I guess
sstaten69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:45 PM   #103
sstaten69

Okay the boy has got tired of unhooking the battery every time he stopped driving it, so he got the alternator conversion kit and changed it over. His generator light in the dash is still on, so I was chasing wires and found that the last guy ran a wire (just short of a battery cable in gauge) from the back of the ignition switch the coil on the HEI and also he spliced in a yellow wire that goes to the firewall wires. So we are going to go to pic a part this weekend (if the weather hold out) and try to find a HEI plug. they want 37 bucks for one at auto parts store and have to order it. Then we will try to rewire it and see if that makes the light go out on the dash.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:05 PM   #104
sstaten69

We haven't posted in awhile. After going to summer school he is out for the summer. (He is wanting to be a dentist so he was getting a class out of the way.) He is working on some of the body work like the bed that got hit this year at school, and his driving thru a fence. The bed is all pulled out that wasn't to bad. He did sand the hood spent 8 hours sanding the old lacquer. We only had a few small dings to pull and fill put he did get it in primer. He is going to start working on the fenders next, pass side has a small dent and the bottom corner has a small rot hole in it. Drivers side small scratch from his driving true the fence. Here is a couple of pics of him working on the hood. He is hoping to have it painted by the end of summer. Power brakes, steering, front saw bar, and most of the front end rebuild/ lowering stuff also.
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2014, 02:35 PM   #105
bowcoffin

Awesome truck! Jealous of your anniversary truck... Shoulda kept the gold... looks great though!
bowcoffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:09 AM   #106
mud.man.rj

Nice work on the hood, good learning experience .
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:19 AM   #107
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Superflysteiny is a dentist... he owns Tootsie, which is quite a truck. You guys might PM him for advice on schooling and such. Dentistry is a great proffesion. Tell your boy to keep at it.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:50 PM   #108
sstaten69

Ok he did get the rot cut out of the pass side fender and welded in a patch also got the small ding pulled out and sanded both fenders got the front clip in primmer looks nice.
Oh but it doesn't stop there. He was pulling in the yard and misjudged his turn and yep smacked a tree. Front pass fender toast. So with a quick search on the best forum ever he found a fender. So we made the 82 mile drive out to Fred's( aka specialtyretail) and the boy got a fender that plus he scored a power steering box also.
So after he pulled the trim off the new fender he welded up the holes, next to no body work was needed (fender had no real rot or dents) threw some primer on it. Then off with the old and on with the new fender. No we are going in to St Louis on sat to pic up a power brake bracket and booster from another forum member.
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2014, 08:52 AM   #109
specialtyretail
So,, what else you got???

That fender looks a lot better bolted to that young man's truck than it did laying behind my shop.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:09 PM   #110
sstaten69

Ok kinda slow with this being his senior year and he is takin college classes plus working part time, so moneys is slim but we did go and get a bed from Fred. We are thinkin about just cutting off what we need to fix his bed that's on the truck. After looking at it on the trailer for a few weeks we think it would make a better replacement bed. Only rust was around the drivers side tail light bucket and past the corner just about an 1 1/2 towards the running light. Fixed it using the old crunched fender as our patch steal. Guess its time to get it off the trailer and finish welding up the trim holes and stake pockets. Looking to get us a spot puller to finish pulling out the big dents.
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2015, 05:21 PM   #111
sstaten69

Well its been along time since we were on here, my computer had a fetal accident. (was running slow so it got shoot). Any way Wyatt hasn't been doing much to his truck, very busy with his last year in high school plus takin college classes and working just enough to pay for gas and his insurance.. Even the truck bed he got from Fred is still on the trailer. He did get a radio for his 18th birthday that we did get put in. The weather has real been cold and icy, they had no school for 9 days. Yesterday it was 44 out and no ice on the roads so he drove to school again today but we had a light snow early in the am that melted on the road but froze very fast, it looked like dust on the road. On there way to school he went in to a ditch. He and his sister where ok, truck did get a broken tail light and the bed side is trashed but not bad. So when it warms up a little guess we will get working on that truck bed and do a swap out of the old one.
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2015, 10:49 PM   #112
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

At least they're ok. Good thing he has the other bed and if he had the volume loud enough he didn't hear the crunch of the ditch. ...lol

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:07 PM   #113
sstaten69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
At least they're ok. Good thing he has the other bed and if he had the volume loud enough he didn't hear the crunch of the ditch. ...lol
Right what a call to get in the am... Hey dad Wyatts truck in a ditch. Mamma and I are very happy they where ok. He has armstrong steering so i was worried that his wrist would be hurting but he said nope i'm fine. He was more upset about his truck. I fixed the side marker light and pushed out most of the dent so it wont look to bad, still will need another tail light (he has clear LED ones). That helped him feel better. Maybe he needs to turn down the radio cause today he text me when he got to school.. "Hey dad my speedo needle broke off on the way to school today." So guess we will need to fix that now, let the search begin.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:10 PM   #114
mud.man.rj

Always something to fix, glad they are ok from the ditch cruising.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:29 AM   #115
specialtyretail

Quote:
Right what a call to get in the am... Hey dad Wyatts truck in a ditch. Mamma and I are very happy they where ok. He has armstrong steering so i was worried that his wrist would be hurting but he said nope i'm fine. He was more upset about his truck. I fixed the side marker light and pushed out most of the dent so it wont look to bad, still will need another tail light (he has clear LED ones). That helped him feel better. Maybe he needs to turn down the radio cause today he text me when he got to school.. "Hey dad my speedo needle broke off on the way to school today." So guess we will need to fix that now, let the search begin.
I am pretty sure I have a good speedometer head, I will check and get back with you.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:42 PM   #116
sstaten69

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialtyretail View Post
I am pretty sure I have a good speedometer head, I will check and get back with you.
Hey thanks Fred we have been talkin about heading out your way.. Need to square up on the bed (That is still on the trailer.) just his time has been pretty tied up.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:36 PM   #117
specialtyretail

Quote:
Hey thanks Fred we have been talkin about heading out your way.. Need to square up on the bed (That is still on the trailer.) just his time has been pretty tied up.
Man, I aint worried about that. Come by anytime you want, maybe I will have something coming off the smoker. Thanks, Fred.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:11 PM   #118
sstaten69

Ok after the last post (the worst knight ever) he has started his college classes this summer, he is trying to get his AA before we move.
He was driving his truck the other day and it started to make this noise. It sounded like it was one of the back brakes dragging or something like that. Well after a little time of searching we found the source of it, was the center bearing on the drive line. So we pulled the drive line out and replaced all the u joints (those dudes where really in there) and the center bearing. So much better he says. Then he was checking his trans fluid the other day and the dip stick (no not my son) hit the fan and cut the tip off of it so know we are looking for a replacement one. Guess it never ends.
Between him and my youngest daughter they are keepin me very busy with car/truck stuff. lovin the time spent with the both of them..
Old 06-15-2015, 03:08 PM   #119
RANDY COX

Oh yea they will keep you busy I just had My Son and Daughter Graduate from H.S. and I know the feeling......
Old 06-19-2015, 11:19 AM   #120
sstaten69

Yea busy that they keep us. My oldest has me helping on her 73 nova. know her baby girl (my granddaughter) thinks we have to work on her little electric car that she drives? Son on his 68 c10, youngest on her 69 dart, the wife's 70 nova and when I have time (never) my 68 chevelle. But I love working on the older cars and the time with the family....
Old 09-16-2015, 08:39 PM   #121
sstaten69

Man how the days just go by, Son has been very busy with college and what extra time he gets to work.. Man school can get very pricy.. His truck has started to leak oil real bad when we looked under his truck the pass side was just covered in oil, so after looking around we came to think that the rear main or the pan gasket is bad.. So pulling the pan to see what we will need to do to replace the 2?
Old 09-19-2015, 04:58 PM   #122
sstaten69

Well we changed the pan and the rear main, It wasn't to hard just had to jack up the motor about an inch and the rest was real easy the longest part was waiting for the paint to dry on the pan.. love those one piece pan gaskets.. No more leaks..
Old 09-19-2015, 05:29 PM   #123
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Probably end up doing the same. That and the flex plate. Been missing a few teeth since the rebuild (1993, 40k since). We were in the middle of nowhere and $ was tight. But still should have replaced it. Starts well every time however, but every now again.............It's had a small leak since the rebuild as well, or not long after.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote