The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-22-2023, 11:41 AM   #1
nvrdone

door locks

So another thing to add to my " to do" list this winter.
I've got a set of Altman bear claw door latches to go in. Unfortunatly they have no way to lock the doors from inside.
Im thinking of some kind of solenoid / plunger to mount in the cab corner that will go thru the "b" pillar into the door. Id like a remote and one switch on the dash that will lock & unlock both doors at the same time.
Any ideas would be appreciated
49 chevy 3100 3 window. 327 / m21 4 spd, 12 bolt w/ 3:55's
Bought in 1973 for $235.00. Had it longer than my wife & Kids!!
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 09:31 PM   #2
skip99

Re: door locks

There is a way to make the bearclaws lock….read through my build, or ill see if i can find the page, but it simply requires you to elongate the strap hole where it bolts to the bearclaw and allow it to slip…and lock..stars on page 3..
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=428878&page=3

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428878
skip99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 12:59 PM   #3
R&B51

I don’t know if this is a solution you’re interested in.
I’ve been wanting to purchase the Altman latches and retain the exterior/interior handles and function in and out but also planning to install keyless push button start that also is Alarm and locks and unlocks the car as you walk away from and to it like a modern car. Has other functions options as well, such as turning on the lights as you walk up to it.
this company seems to have a good reputation and has 20% off Black Friday for Thanksgiving.
don’t know about reputation or if anyone has used their system. Seems like $502,000 range -20%?

http://digitalguarddawg.com/
R&B51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 12:39 AM   #4
R&B51

Sorry $500 -20%
Old 11-25-2023, 02:46 AM   #5
R&B51

Seems like for safety your interior door handles should operate and override solenoid on rods to the latch (vs B pillar?)so you can get out - wreck, no power, etc.?
You might not be interested in a controller at all, just a switch.
I’m not trying to sound like a salesman for these guys.
Anyone has experience, other opinions or input likely better than mine.
May need the system with a few ports to connect other hardware/switches.
So solenoid would have to actuate latches to lock. Could still use locking switch to lock doors from inside (as well as key fob). System makes it really hard to steal.
I called the guard dawg people today and he said his system often used this way. Sale through Monday, I’ll probably pull trigger on it.
They even have a watch you can wear that IS the key fob for lock, unlock, start.
He said Bluetooth upgrade coming this year that would just add on these systems will allow controlling all with smart phone as well as key, brake and start switch (watch videos).
Old 11-25-2023, 12:11 PM   #6
jwhotrod

do NOT electrify your interior door handles, you will regret it at some point if you do. I have a friend that had a 55 F100 that somebody had put the interior handles on electric poppers, had a electric short in the door wiring causing the truck to fill with smoke, and he could not open the door to get out. luckily there was someone close enough to break a window and get him out or he would have died. interior handles should always be mechanical, DO NOT electrify them.
jwhotrod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 12:56 PM   #7
nvrdone

got a follow up from skip99 and a link to his build thread showing how to modify the latches so they will lock the doors. The idea of an electric lock bothered me for many reasons. So now something else to do this winter.
49 chevy 3100 3 window. 327 / m21 4 spd, 12 bolt w/ 3:55's
Bought in 1973 for $235.00. Had it longer than my wife & Kids!!
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote