The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2009, 12:25 AM   #1
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Welders You Need To Read This

Whether you are a full time professional welder or just a hobbiest you really should read this article. Many of us, myself included, often get lax about safety when it comes to using chemicals to clean a part and then welding on that part. I know this was a reality check for me and I will definitely be more conscious of what I'm doing with weld prep using chemicals. I'm posting this in an effort to save someone else from serious health problems or even death.

Here's the article......http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:25 AM   #2
Northern lights

Re: Welders You Need To Read This

Holy crap!!!!
Northern lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:59 AM   #3
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Link needs updating.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:22 PM   #4
dfwright

If this is the article about welding and brake cleaner, then the article can still be found here

Safety Alert! Brake Cleaner = Phosgene Gas

There are other threads on the forum discussing this, as I remember having seen one with a bunch more comments

Deconstruction began 5/2009, mostly completed restoration, 5/2017
dfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:29 PM   #5
frankslagoon

Boy Oh Boy. We all know this stuff but just don,t realize how bad ass a little bit can be. If I'm gona die in my trk. I'd kinda like to be goin 120 with AC/DC . be careful guys.
frankslagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:34 PM   #6
cg285

i quit using that stuff years ago but for a different reason. employees will bankrupt you with that stuff.
cg285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:58 AM   #7
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Since this is a rather obscure topic to those who haven't done much shop-situation welding, I wanna keep this discussion going for a moment.

Like many of the home-builder, brake or carb cleaner is usually grabbed as the defacto solvent...sometimes you don't even think the part will be welded or heated, but it happens. I have asthma, and bone cancer....so I became hyper aware of this stuff as my doctors had panic attacks when I would tell them the type of chemicals I was semi-routinely exposed to. However, it actually resulted in THEM becoming more aware of what those of us in the hobby sometimes see (keep in mind, we are a small % of the population, and many don't even think to include the fact that they are a hobbyist when discussion certain topics with medical professionals).

After having access to a large Lincoln-sponsored welding test lab, I got to see some REALLY common sense ways of tackling these problems. They might seem common sense to a production welder, but for a hobbyist, probably not.

1. Acetone. Its kept around for aluminum welding, but in general is an excellent solvent so long as you're aware of what its being used on. Its fairly cheap in bulk to keep in a a squirt bottle or (certain compatible) spray bottles properly labeled. Won't break the bank like cases of brake cleaner, and its evaporation doesn't leave harmful residue.
Cost: $

2. Positive pressure in the working environment. While direct fans can force shielding gasses around or blow out your torch, having a large exhaust fan or a roof/wall inlet fan can help keep shop pressure just slightly above 1 bar. This will prevent harmful gasses from clouding, settling, or condensing.
Cost: $-$$ depending on how far you take it

3. Workstation filtration aka the fart-sucker. Despite the name, most of you have probably seen something like this. They are high-volume low-pressure air systems which resemble a dust collector from your highschool shop class. Designed to suck up gaseous fumes, filter the air, and bleed it back into the room or into a vent stack. You can make one yourself for under $150, or even use a shop-vac (if your welding unshielded).
Cost: $$-$$$$

4. Personal respiration protection. This is tricky for welding. See a dust mask works for grinding but not painting, and a respirator works for painting but won't fit under a welding helmet...let alone comfortably. The only real option is a sealed, filtered welding system. These are now commonplace in production facilities who weld medical process pipe or dairy piping, due to the release of hexavalent chromium when welding certain grades of stainless. The cheapest type is like a welding helmet with a neck piece and gask-mask ports on it, however they are not as common, and really awkward. The other is also a sealed helmet (looks like a diving helmet), which connects to a waistpack or backpack, or in rare cases a centralized air system. These work very well, but are VERY bulky, and well out of reach for most home welders.
Cost: $$$-$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Longwinded, but hopefully it gives you guys a better idea of what the "bigs" do when exposed to potential toxic gas exposure. You don't have to do any of it, but sometimes even the basic concepts can be applied in more budget conscious or clever way. Just remember, don't use anything made of synthetic materials (that aren't fire cert.), and do NOT use any form of external air supply that relies on compressed 02...that will make you a bomb.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 03:31 PM   #8
TexasLS1

This is great info, thanks for posting this guys!!
TexasLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 06:33 PM   #9
AZ 67 C10

Bringing this back up as I happened to stumble across it. 2nd link in this post works for the original story. I'm glad I stumbled across it because I was naive about welding fumes until now. Thanks to the OP for this info.
AZ 67 C10 is offline   Reply With Quote