The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2018, 11:23 AM   #1
choctawchevyclassics

Tips for replacing a bad flexplate...

Thought I would post this for those that may have never tried replacing a flexplate, it is not that hard and does not take a great deal of time.

Disconnect tranny lines from radiator, ensure lines are loose back to the tranny (don't forget a catch pan under the radiator for a slight bit of tranny fluid), pull the drive shaft (pan under the rear of the tranny is also a good idea), unhook tranny linkage, remove tranny mount bolts (no need to remove cross-member), remove 2 bottom tranny bolts (the lower on each side) and replace with 4" bolts threaded in to secure bolt, remove the other 4 bolts, remove dust cover, unbolt the torque converter from flexplate, jack up the back of the tranny to be loose from the cross-member, and move the tranny back about 1 1/2" (the tranny will slide back on the (2) 4" bolts in the lower holes so no need to support front of tranny). I use an 18" prybar to move tranny back. Now you have plenty of room to access flexplate bolts. I mark the old flexplate to ensure new flexplate is installed to the same mounting holes and flexplate is installed with the correct side to the crank. Remove flexplate bolts and flexplate. Install in reverse order. Good to go. I have done it in an hour, but usually take a little longer.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:48 AM   #2
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Re: Tips for replacing a bad flexplate...

Nice job. I have used long stud to help install a tranny before but never thought about doing that for a flex plate replacement. I'll definitely remember that trick.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote