The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2017, 07:08 PM   #1
desert-rat

New engine or upgrade current??

For a 1969 GMC 2500. Currently have a 350 with a 4 barrel carb. Want to swap to a fuel injected V6 truck engine with whole drive train and flash the computer. Or should I upgrade the 350 to a fuel injected carburetor like an edlebroc?? I'm just done playing with carbs. One BIG problem that I ran into is that a GM truck V6 is electronic throttle body. Unless there is aftermarket to install an electronic throttle. Thanks.
desert-rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:31 PM   #2
truckster

Re: New engine or upgrade current??

If you're going to go that far you might as well go with an LS engine.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:14 PM   #3
tutone

Ive been running carbs for 40 years and I have never grown tired of them. You just need to invest in a really good Edlebrock and intake and tune your engine. The right jets, with the right size carb,on a well tuned 350 will be as dependable as any LS motor on the road. But its your truck , and if you feel that you are upgrading by swapping, then go for it. I'm just old school.
1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:51 PM   #4
desert-rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
I have thought about going that way but that motor is just too expensive for me right now.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:53 PM   #5
desert-rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutone View Post
Ive been running carbs for 40 years and I have never grown tired of them. You just need to invest in a really good Edlebrock and intake and tune your engine. The right jets, with the right size carb,on a well tuned 350 will be as dependable as any LS motor on the road. But its your truck , and if you feel that you are upgrading by swapping, then go for it. I'm just old school.
Carburetors are cool and all but one day it will run fine and next day it just will not run right at all and then I have to do some more stuff on the carburetor and I don't want to keep having to do that. For some reason I can't get the carburetor to run flawless. I prefer fuel injections it's more simpler and more easier for cold starts in the morning.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:56 PM   #6
desert-rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert-rat View Post
I have thought about going that way but that motor is just too expensive for me right now.
I stand corrected. A complete engine and transmission with computer harness and all really is not a bad price actually for the ls Motors. I'm just concerned that by the time I'm able to get a complete LS drivetrain they'll be hard to find or more more out of my budget. What can I get a 350 for price wise?

Will have to get the computer tune since I don't have to have all that smog equipment on?
Old 12-06-2017, 09:36 PM   #7
truckster

If it were me, I'd get a quality remanufactured Quadrajet. It's the best carb out there, in my opinion, but yours is 45+ years old.

Other choices for fuel injection would be to get a TBI setup from a wrecking yard, or to get something like a Holley or Edelbrock fuel injection system. If you go with a newer FI system it's still going to run you some big bucks.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:02 AM   #8
68Stepbed

I'm not sure what V6 engine you're looking at, but I'm pretty sure you won't be that impressed with it. Modern V6's are certainly vast improvements over older V8 engines, but they still won't produce the low end torque of a V8(necessary in a heavy truck). Hence the term: There's no replacement for displacement.

Here's your basic options.

1: Do as mentioned above and get a new or quality rebuilt Q-jet.

2: EFI. I personally like the features of the Holley Sniper system. It will bolt right on your 350 and it's self tuning. After some research, I wouldn't go with the FiTech. It's not self learning. If you don't like tuning a carb, you may not like it because it still has to be tuned, although once tuned, it stays that way.

3: LS swap. Prices on LS combos vary, but a standard 5.3/4L60E combo can be picked up very reasonable if you shop around and keep an eye out. There's tons of resource material to do it yourself, or there's shops to do it for you. Keep in mind a complete LS swap can be done for about the cost of a new or rebuilt 350 engine by itself and have almost twice the power.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:18 AM   #9
solidaxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
GOOD Choice !!
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:19 PM   #10
Bigdav160

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert-rat View Post
For a 1969 GMC 2500. Currently have a 350 with a 4 barrel carb. Want to swap to a fuel injected V6 truck engine with whole drive train and flash the computer. Or should I upgrade the 350 to a fuel injected carburetor like an edlebroc?? I'm just done playing with carbs. One BIG problem that I ran into is that a GM truck V6 is electronic throttle body. Unless there is aftermarket to install an electronic throttle. Thanks.
I've done a V6 swap and it wasn't straight forward. Mounts had to be fabricated and the low exhaust manifolds wouldn't clear the frame. there are plenty of affordable nearly bolt-on TBI's on the market today. They seem to get good reviews. Have you looked at those?

What's wrong with GM TBI? I know it's not a performance setup but it's as reliable as they get.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:57 PM   #11
desert-rat

How would I go about adding a TBI?? What's all needed?? Oh ya, the 350 replaced the stock straight 6. I would love to keep the 350 and ditch the carb.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:58 PM   #12
Rufas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Stepbed View Post
I'm not sure what V6 engine you're looking at, but I'm pretty sure you won't be that impressed with it. Modern V6's are certainly vast improvements over older V8 engines, but they still won't produce the low end torque of a V8(necessary in a heavy truck). Hence the term: There's no replacement for displacement.

Here's your basic options.

1: Do as mentioned above and get a new or quality rebuilt Q-jet.

2: EFI. I personally like the features of the Holley Sniper system. It will bolt right on your 350 and it's self tuning. After some research, I wouldn't go with the FiTech. It's not self learning. If you don't like tuning a carb, you may not like it because it still has to be tuned, although once tuned, it stays that way.

3: LS swap. Prices on LS combos vary, but a standard 5.3/4L60E combo can be picked up very reasonable if you shop around and keep an eye out. There's tons of resource material to do it yourself, or there's shops to do it for you. Keep in mind a complete LS swap can be done for about the cost of a new or rebuilt 350 engine by itself and have almost twice the power.
I'll argue that about the FiTech. FiTech is self learning but very tuneable. I've got a FiTech system on my supercharged SBC 350 in my 70 GMC and on my 67 Cutlass with a 468 BBC. Both 'learned' very well, but there is always the option to 'tune' if you want.

Not all is bliss with the Sniper either. Facebook - Holley Sniper

67 Cutlass with 468 BBC running FiTech.
350 SBC 300hp
Weiand Supercharger
FiTech EFI
Rufas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:04 PM   #13
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

TBI is decent for driveability, but you will be underwhelemed with any kind of performance. The TBI systems were OBD1 systems that have virtually no performance options for them. You'll be stuck with stock style cam profiles and low compression ratios. But, if you just want a stocker that has stock power, they are a good fairly reliable unit.

However, you can make more power and have more options for performance with a carb sitting on top of your intake. Even with an Edelbrock carb (which you couldn't pay me to use an Edelbrock carb), you can make decent power and have a lot more options.

A properly set up carb and a tuned up ignition system can out perform a TBI unit any day.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:50 PM   #14
flatbed67

I'd definitely go for a new carb. Holley or Edelbrock, whatever you prefer. Can be installed in a day, and will work nicely, often times straight out of the box. Mount a good fuel filter, and it will work a long time before needing any attention.

On the other hand I run an old TPI system on my car, and love it to bits. It starts nicely, runs good, and gets really good gas mileage. I pulled the 350 TPI engine and TH700r4 tranny out off a 1987 Firebird GTA, using the stock engine wiring harness, which turned out to be surprisingly easy to install in the old car, it was completely separate from the rest of the electrics. The downside is, you have to prepare to work several days to get it installed right.

A TBI works the same way, only different intake, and a bit less power.
flatbed67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:52 PM   #15
bs46488

I would vote the LS swap.

I bought my 5.3 in San Bernardino, about 35 miles from you. I got a low mile engine (with 3 month warranty), 4l60e, full harness, and the ECM for around $1200

In my opinion the most difficult part of the swap was the fuel system, but I'm pretty sure your going to need to upgrade your fuel delivery for the an EFI for the 350 anyways.

1970 Nova: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=708161
bs46488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:17 PM   #16
rotten67

Fi tech not much harder to put on than a carburetor and they work great
rotten67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:37 AM   #17
desert-rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs46488 View Post
I would vote the LS swap.

I bought my 5.3 in San Bernardino, about 35 miles from you. I got a low mile engine (with 3 month warranty), 4l60e, full harness, and the ECM for around $1200

In my opinion the most difficult part of the swap was the fuel system, but I'm pretty sure your going to need to upgrade your fuel delivery for the an EFI for the 350 anyways.
Which 5.3 engine did you get?? The ls swap is good and all but I would like to stay with a cast iron truck engine, drivetrain and all with the ECM and full harness. I'm sure I should stay away from the active fuel management motor unless that can be tuned off or leaving on doesn't make a different.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:48 AM   #18
hjewell2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutone View Post
100% Agree
hjewell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:53 AM   #19
68Stepbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufas View Post
I'll argue that about the FiTech. FiTech is self learning but very tuneable. I've got a FiTech system on my supercharged SBC 350 in my 70 GMC and on my 67 Cutlass with a 468 BBC. Both 'learned' very well, but there is always the option to 'tune' if you want.

Not all is bliss with the Sniper either. Facebook - Holley Sniper

67 Cutlass with 468 BBC running FiTech.
I think that's what's throwing me off. I've heard so many different things, options, reviews, and opinions about the FiTech and they all seem to differ. I've also heard their customer support is in need of improvement. Holley has been around long enough to specialize in fuel delivery systems and they have great customer service.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:16 PM   #20
Rufas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Stepbed View Post
I think that's what's throwing me off. I've heard so many different things, options, reviews, and opinions about the FiTech and they all seem to differ. I've also heard their customer support is in need of improvement. Holley has been around long enough to specialize in fuel delivery systems and they have great customer service.
I've heard the same about FiTech support. My experience is different. I've only needed to contacted FiTech a few times. Each time response was quick and had the info I need. I've only use phone support so can't speak about email support. Seems FiTech support on a Monday is difficult to get get with everyone doing installs over the weekend.

As for Holley support. Read through the link I gave for Facebook. Sniper folks are not that happy with Holley support either.

I've heard a lot of complaints about FiTech's Fuel Command Center. I've had the FCC installed on my Cutlass since 2015 without issues. I think a lot of those issues come from mounting the FCC near exhaust plumbing. Mine is mounted just behind the headlights. At the time of my install a tank with a EFI fuel pump was not available. If I did the install today I would go with the in tank pump. Even though I've not had issues with the FCC, I plan on converting it to a 'surge tank' by removing the float and check valve.

Overall EFI is not as simple as these manufactures would like you to believe. All of these systems require a good understand of what is going on. Most will work right out of the box. But if your looking for perfection then they all require tuning.

One thing I give credit to about FiTech. If FiTech hadn't got their unit out at less than $900 then Holley would still be pushing their expensive units. Gota love competition.
350 SBC 300hp
Weiand Supercharger
FiTech EFI
Rufas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:03 PM   #21
WorkinLonghorn

Been using the same bone stock Q-jet for the last 21 years and never done a thing to it except fix a stripped out fuel filter housing. I put a rebuild kit in it when I bought the truck. You should do the same IMO. If it's not a Q-jet then get one at the junkyard. I have 2 extra if you want one. -BA I'm just 1 or 2 fires down from you in the San Fernando Valley.

Also, any cold start problems I had were cured with an HEI type ignition. But then I am in a warmer area, I disabled my choke 20 years ago.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:19 PM   #22
bs46488

I bought a 2001 5.3 truck motor. So iron block with cable throttle body. I did the harness myself from the Lt1swap.com instructions. I even mailed my ECU to him to be flashed.

Here is a current ad from the place I bought mine. Looks like prices are up slightly.

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/...359025579.html

I picked mine up on a Saturday morning. He had two 5.3's on pallets to be sold that morning. They were actively pulling a 6.0, 6l80e, trans case and rear axle for a father/son that were putting into a K5 4x4 blazer.

They put the engine in my truck with a fork lift. It took me longer to strap it down for the drive home then the entire transaction. I parked my truck and watched them work on the 6.0 and chatted up the father/son team before I started the drive back.

Do a side by side between the FiTech and the LS swap to see the cost. Here is what I would budget estimate for a swap using the engine above:

Engine/trans/harness/ecu - $1500
Harness modification - free
ECU flash - $100
Motor mounts - $100
External fuel pump on factory tank - $200
Exhaust parts to match LS manifold - $100
Drive shaft modification - $150
Air intake and filter $80

1970 Nova: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=708161
bs46488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 04:07 PM   #23
desert-rat

Thank you all for the great replies. Gives my wife and I something to think about and weigh our options on which route to take. If i go the route of a fi tech (for example) or any EFI we get to work with the current motor. If we go the route of say a 323, i can sell the 350. We see pros to all ways possible. Either way i need to pull the motor so i can refresh the engine bay. Well, im gonna remove the bed and cab from the frame to do frame work and i guess i can R&R the motor with the cab removed.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:08 PM   #24
desert-rat

Oh ya, i could go LS, but i really wanna stay with an iron block truck motor.