The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2018, 05:50 PM   #1
Jake Spoon

Installing Trim / Emblems Without Drilling Holes

I've got a '67 C20. The previous owner did a really nice frame-off build. Paint/body work is excellent. Previous owner opted to not install body side trim, grill emblem, or fender emblems. I want to put the trim and emblems on the truck but I'm reluctant to drill holes.

Is it possible to do a quality install using some type of adhesive or tape?

I haven't purchased the trim yet, but will likely use Mar-K.

Last edited by Jake Spoon; 12-14-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Jake Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:46 PM   #2
Jake Spoon

Re: Installing Trim / Emblems

Anyone done this?
Old 12-14-2018, 01:22 PM   #3
Coley

It is possible but you have to use a high quality (very) thin double sided adhesive tape....such as 3M supplies.

To do this you have to acquire all the little plastic GM molding inserts that snap into the molding profile. I would recommend using more than what was supplied with them normally.....I think the upper long bed molding used about 10 or more per side and you will need more than that without the advantage of a thru-body fastener.

Then you have to cut the (3M) tape to match the size of the insert, then wipe/clean the truck down to do this before installing the molding.
There are a couple of very important points tho' that you need to do first:
1) you will need to know exactly where the moldings go vertically relative to the body lines and datums (note: they do not install in a 'straight line', they tend to slope down on the back of the truck, etc)
2) You will in all likelihood need someone to help you install the longer moldings, particularly the 8ft long upper bed molding.

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 12:26 PM   #4
painterljp

Just an fyi to your answers. 67's. Didn't have upper molding only the lower and different than 69-72's. Wait for Mar-k to have their sales. Usually saves a lot. And comes with correct clips if you order the complete kit. Dont know about installing it. Our paint shop did it. We have since pulled some off and redid it as clips weren't holding the ones behind door on cab. A friend put clips and small dab of clear silicone and we put them back on. That is holding them better with clips.
painterljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 12:32 PM   #5
jocko

Completely understand the hesitancy to drill - but also keep in mind that sticking things on like fender nameplates, etc makes removal relatively impossible without screwing up the paint. Not completely impossible, but not fun. Personally, I'd drill to match however the factory did it - just measure twice, cut once, as they say. You can tape (and cardboard) off the surrounding area very well - the biggest risk is initial drilling walk of the bit - so the center punch (without denting the panel) is critical. Measurements are available on here as well as in the Assembly Manual I believe. The trim clip locations are depicted very well in the LMC catalog. Good luck with whichever way you choose, will look much better with the emblems and trim back on there! If you do choose to use tape, highly recommend using 3M products only. I used the stick-ums provided on th eback of LMC trim once... ONCE. Never again. Re-did it with 3M double-sided trim tape, at ledzepp's suggestion, never had another problem (this was for a 71 upper bed trim, which actually used sticky tape in some locations from the factory).
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 12:55 AM   #6
Jake Spoon

Thanks for the good advice, all.

Since the previous owner filled the trim holes prior to painting, I'm wondering if I'm going to encounter problems in trying to drill the same holes again, if I decide to drill rather than stick on with adhesive.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:01 AM   #7
Hidesertchevy

Mar k stuff is on sale now until the end of the year
Hidesertchevy is offline   Reply With Quote