The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2003, 08:43 PM   #1
XXL
Seņor Member

Fuel venting?

I think that if I vented my Blazer-style tank I could get fuel into it a little faster. Currently I have filler hose with the return that comes off the filler neck going back to the tank. The tank itself has several spare threaded holes (currently plugged, of course). I was picturing putting a fitting in one, running some fuel line sized hose over to the right step fender (way up there behind the tire) and putting a breather on the end. Or... is this where I should have some kind of charcoal canister? I think the tank needs to breathe a little but I don't want my garage to smell like a gas station (which it usually does for the first day or so after a fillup).

Suggestions anyone???

Thanks in advance,

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 10:25 PM   #2
Blue68

Kenneth,
If you take a peak on new cars' fuel filling setup, they have a vent built into the fuel filling houseing. You would run a vent line from the tank up to the neck of the filler neck. This would solve getting fuel into your truck without venting it into the air. The thing I don't know about is how modern gas caps work. I'm assuming they have to be valved/vented to allow air in when the fuel is used up. So a similar setup would work for you.

But of course this all depends on what kind of filler setup you have.

'68 C-10 LWB, '98 Z-71 350 w/accessories (Serpentine), Edelbrock Performer, Edelbrock 1405 (600cfm) carb, GM HEI, CompCam Extreme 4x4 roller cam, Thorley Headers, Carter Electric Fuel Pump, Vintage Air, 700r4, 3.73, disc brakes and power steering upgrades.
Blue68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 10:28 PM   #3
XXL
Seņor Member

Thanks Blue68. This is actually what I have already... it's a metal filler neck with a smaller metal tube coming off of it. On this smaller tube, I have a piece of fuel line running back down to the tank. The problem is, this isn't a vent of any kind... it just lets the overflow kick back to the tank instead of spitting out onto the ground.

Hmmm...

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 01:37 AM   #4
Blue68

Just took a quick peek at the wifes van (2001 olds). The vents are on the top of the filler inside the cap. The plastic housing is what catches excess and dumps it on the ground behind the fender. Are you sure your vent line is not kinked? I'm sure you guys have the venting fuel pumps (suck the air as they pump the fuel) that equalize the pressure as you pump. It doesn't make sense unless the vent line is not large enough. My '97 chevy has the exact same filler neck.

'68 C-10 LWB, '98 Z-71 350 w/accessories (Serpentine), Edelbrock Performer, Edelbrock 1405 (600cfm) carb, GM HEI, CompCam Extreme 4x4 roller cam, Thorley Headers, Carter Electric Fuel Pump, Vintage Air, 700r4, 3.73, disc brakes and power steering upgrades.
Blue68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 10:37 AM   #5
jay6891
Car Knocker

I have the same problem when fueling my tank. Same vent system as you XXL. Takes me 30 min. to fill my tank. Can't put the nozzel on the first click before it shuts off due to back flow. I'm going to try and pull some of my plugs out too.
68 c-10,91 sportside bed,350 .030 over,4 bolt,10-1 comp,2.05 intake/1.94 exhaust,1.6 Harland Sharp roller rockers,edelbrock rpm cam and intake w/750 carb, 700r4, 3.73 gears,Jacabbs Electronic Igntion w/Accel HEI distributer and super coil. ZR-1 roll pan, filled tailights. Blazer tank. Hidden hitch. 2 1/2" Flowmaster 40's. Parts bought but not installed>> ford 9" posi with disc. CCP front and rear lowering kit 4/5. Cab corners,foor boards,rockers, cab braces, Phatom grill, Painless wiring kit.
jay6891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 12:33 PM   #6
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

Same here. It takes forever to fill mine up too. I think a charcoal canister mounted under the bed with both extra vent lines ran to it would do the trick.
Old 02-07-2003, 01:49 PM   #7
Mudder

Mines vented but I can only get gas in by holding the nozzel backwards. It has to do with the 90 degreee bend in the filler tube under the bed. If it wasnt for that I could fill as fast as I wanted
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 07:22 PM   #8
Andy4639
Old member

Cool Venting

Be careful on putting a charcoal canister in your vent lines, if they are not up high enough they could fill up with gas. I would check the little line in the fill tube. I have the same set up and I can fill up in the wide open mod.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote