The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2010, 11:52 PM   #1
Frozen1010

Got a '90 R1500 Burb... couple of questions

Hello, new guy here, and so far this site has a ton of info. I picked up a 1990 suburban R1500 silverado from the original owner with only 95K on the clock. Interior is near mint except for the headliner. Spent some time on it tonight, mostly cleaning. Changed the wiper blades, etc. The truck has some issues, and I am looking for options.

1) The headliner. I am most likely going to try some headliner glue to hold it up until I can dave some money for a replacement. Would rather spend my money on more important items. Has anyone used this stuff? Is it OK?

2) Power windows: Drivers power windor is not working. I suspect bad switch as all the rest work. Passenger side is slow, and does not make it down all the way with out help. I guess I am going to have to pull the door panels. Any tips on doing this with out breaking anything? Rear window is like the passengers side slow, and need help to go up or down.

3) Power mirrors: Neither function, thoughts? Also the drivers size has some woble. Seems like it is not tight on the folding pivot. Can these be disissembled with out braking them?

4) Rust: Being in upstate NY, the truck as seen a few winters, so there are of course rusty areas on the body, but I am wondering about the frame, especially the trailer hitch area. The factory hitch is rotten and falling apart. I would like to replace this, but is there a way to tell if I should get it reinforced? The frame seems solid, but that is just by tapping on it. is there a better method? I plan on wire brushing as much as I can on the under carrage, and priming and painting it, but I want this area of the frame to be strong. Don't know how much towing I will do with this old truck, but want the option, and don't want anything to fail if I do.

5) Body mounts. I see that LMC sells replacement mounting kits. Is this something worth while to do? How big of a job is it to do? Any special tools I would need?

6) Fuel tank: I would like to dro the fuel tank and inspect it for holes, and paint it. Any problem areas doing this?

Thanks!

Lou
Frozen1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:18 AM   #2
77gmcjoe
What do we get for $10?

Re: Got a '90 R1500 Burb... couple of questions

As for the headliner, I would say that you're better off to just replace the material than to try to glue the old one up. The foam rubber padding deteriorates and causes the cloth to separate from it, causing the drooping. On my '91 Suburban that I'm trying to get into shape now to make it my daily driver, I bought new headliner material and glue from this place:

http://www.stockinteriors.com/items....rban_Headliner

It's kind of a messy job, but I'm really pleased with the results. I used the "extra large" DIY kit with the extra width (60") material.

On your windows, all I can tell you is if you're going to replace the motor, be sure to get some kind of service manual with step by step instructions. I replaced a motor in my '89 this past summer, and I'd rather take a beating than do it again. I suppose it would get easier with practice.
1996 Corvette LT4 350/ZF 6 speed
2000 Bonneville SSEI Supercharged 3.8 Liter V6
1966 Chevelle 2 door sedan (Needs major repair )

Last edited by 77gmcjoe; 11-14-2010 at 09:20 AM.
77gmcjoe is offline   Reply With Quote