The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2016, 11:26 PM   #1
Longley428

Is a new track bar a must?

Lowering my 69 c10 with the 4/6 hotchkis spring kit and doing either an additional 1-2" block on the rear to help level it out. Will I "need" a super trac bar/24"+ bar or will a new 24" adjustable be just fine? The truck will not be driven hard or ever tracked at all. Just cruise around town
Longley428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:01 AM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Is a new track bar a must?

A 24" bar is about original length. An adjustable original length bar will work it will just allow more side shift vs a longer aftermarket bar.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:46 AM   #3
PGSigns

With that much drop I would run the long bar. It will give you the adjustment you will need and also ad to the handling.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:03 PM   #4
Longley428

I am looking at one CCP makes that is between 24"-30", just don't want to put overkill suspension stuff on the truck due to it will barely be driven and won't see many turns
Old 01-28-2016, 03:49 PM   #5
SCOTI

Not sure I would classify a longer aftermarket bar that has better geometry as overkill.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 01-28-2016, 04:38 PM   #6
PGSigns

Nope not overkill at all. Your running hotckis parts so you may as well run better bar. The ECE super track bar is a goood one.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:09 PM   #7
Longley428

Good deal! Thanks everyone!!
Old 01-29-2016, 05:37 AM   #8
BigMike

Ya, I just bought the CPP bent Trac Bar and love it. I have bags and it helps keep the rear end centered throughout the travel that my stock one just couldn't do. You won't need the bent one, I got it because a straight one won't work with my polished finned diff cover.
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:09 AM   #9
Longley428

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
Ya, I just bought the CPP bent Trac Bar and love it. I have bags and it helps keep the rear end centered throughout the travel that my stock one just couldn't do. You won't need the bent one, I got it because a straight one won't work with my polished finned diff cover.
Do you suggest the one that attaches to the passenger side trailing arm or the shorter adjustable one that uses original location for mounting
Old 01-29-2016, 12:49 PM   #10
SCOTI

If going aftermarket, use the longest bar possible. The cost difference is minimal.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 01-29-2016, 07:01 PM   #11
BigMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
If going aftermarket, use the longest bar possible. The cost difference is minimal.
Agreed, the longer the better. A shorter trac bar/panhard bar will allow more side to side movement of the rear end, which is not a good thing. The longer ones have very little side to side movement. Mine goes from the stock location on the drivers side frame to the trailing arm on the passenger side. You don't need a bent one like I got if you are using the stock diff cover. I was initially going to go with a Porterbuilt but I didn't like the fact of having to use a new frame bracket for the drivers side. I went with CPP because I already have a bunch of their stuff on my truck & like the quality, plus I could use the stock frame bracket.

Here is a great shot of one on another members build, it's pretty straight forward. Would be a perfect time to install lowering blocks if you were going to anyways

Old 01-29-2016, 07:14 PM   #12
BigMike

Also, I would order it from Summit instead of directly from CPP. Summit has faster shipping, similar pricing & better return policy. I usually just drive to CPP when I buy from them because they are fairly local. But many people have complained about them when shipping is involved. Summit is just a better source when you need it shipped IMO.

Here's their eBay link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-Perf...YAAOSwLVZV4Nd8
Old 01-29-2016, 08:42 PM   #13
SCOTI

The benefit of a different frame mount is if it has the ability to tune (level) the Panhard Bar @ ride height. Same for the T/A mount. Something to consider when analyzing cost vs benefit.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 01-29-2016, 09:36 PM   #14
hvacfatboy

i have a porterbuilt trac bar that i cannot use that is already powder coated black it is a straight bar that attaches to trailing arm on passenger side and to frame on driver side it is adjustable it retails for 199.00 plus shipping and then paint or powder coat plus wait time I will sale mine for 199.00 plus shipping let me know thanks Richie
hvacfatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:19 PM   #15
Longley428

Quote:
Agreed, the longer the better. A shorter trac bar/panhard bar will allow more side to side movement of the rear end, which is not a good thing. The longer ones have very little side to side movement. Mine goes from the stock location on the drivers side frame to the trailing arm on the passenger side. You don't need a bent one like I got if you are using the stock diff cover. I was initially going to go with a Porterbuilt but I didn't like the fact of having to use a new frame bracket for the drivers side. I went with CPP because I already have a bunch of their stuff on my truck & like the quality, plus I could use the stock frame bracket.

Here is a great shot of one on another members build, it's pretty straight forward. Would be a perfect time to install lowering blocks if you were going to anyways

Thank you for the info!! Do you know any more suspension info on this truck in the picture? Or if you have a setup like I am doing... I would like to know if I need to do 1” blocks or 2” blocks. Since I am doing 4” springs in the front and 6” in the rear I don’t want the rear lower than the front but I reeeeeaalllyyy don’t want the rear higher (rake) just level and low as I can, and I have noticed with the 4/6 drops it still leaves a rake stance. Thanks again to all the info everyone!!
Old 01-29-2016, 11:20 PM   #16
Longley428

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvacfatboy View Post
i have a porterbuilt trac bar that i cannot use that is already powder coated black it is a straight bar that attaches to trailing arm on passenger side and to frame on driver side it is adjustable it retails for 199.00 plus shipping and then paint or powder coat plus wait time I will sale mine for 199.00 plus shipping let me know thanks Richie
Thank you for the offer, but due to my location (GA) Summit is about 1 1/2 hours away so I will be making a trip this weekend to pick one they have on hold. Thank you though!
Old 01-30-2016, 12:27 AM   #17
BigMike

Do you have dropped spindles up front? I'm guessing not with 4" springs but have to ask. I would put the springs on and see where she sits. I had 3" springs with 2.5" spindles up front & 5" springs with 1" blocks in the rear and it had a slight rake to it. The picture I took is with that setup before I went with bags. I think the 4/6 should be close to level. I think 2" blocks would make the rear look like it's sagging. But again, see what just the springs look like and go from there

Old 01-30-2016, 08:53 AM   #18
Longley428

Quote:
Do you have dropped spindles up front? I'm guessing not with 4" springs but have to ask. I would put the springs on and see where she sits. I had 3" springs with 2.5" spindles up front & 5" springs with 1" blocks in the rear and it had a slight rake to it. The picture I took is with that setup before I went with bags. I think the 4/6 should be close to level. I think 2" blocks would make the rear look like it's sagging. But again, see what just the springs look like and go from there

No, I don't have drop spindles, that makes sense! I will try it with just springs and see how it comes out! Also what wheel/tires are you running in this picture?
Old 02-03-2016, 04:25 AM   #19
BigMike

I'm running the car style rally wheels. 275/60/15's on 10" wheels on the rear and 235/60/15 on 7" wheels in the front.