The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2011, 11:08 AM   #301
JohnC

Re: Shop Truck refurb, code name Chaser

it happens quick doesn't it. You are tinkering away here and there. Then you look up and there it goes one big snowball.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:47 PM   #302
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

The roof is double walled, so pulling the headliner out may not help you there. If you are keeping the same (or similar) red, I would just burn in the jambs where you need to and clean the rest up. You will save a ton of hassle that way. Unless you are like me, and secretly like the hassle......
Old 01-14-2011, 06:08 PM   #303
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

I was fearful of burning the headliner, but I guess it wouldn't happen with a double wall, so that saves me from that.
I'd thought for a while I'd jamb the doors, since we're changing the color of the two tone, I'd hate to get all done and then just brush touch the tan inside the jambs... I dunno, we'll just have to see on that. It'd be pretty easy to jamb the door opening with or without the doors on it actually, and the tan goes in a ways on the rocker actually so we'll do that no doubt.

Right now though my tech is cussing a 2011 chevy truck. He's done 1000's of bed skins, but this one needs the bed side assy put in, and we just got it in ($1000 8' bedside lol). I think it'll take all four of us to get that damn thing lifted up in place.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:12 PM   #304
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

The new ones suck putting in a whole side, the way it comes down at teh floor. You can't cheat and use the resistance welder as much.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:48 PM   #305
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Well, only thing we got to figure out is a pretty seam sealer that will match the factory look. Otherwise, he's got the old one off and will probably have it to paint by noon on Monday. I'm thankful it is a brand new truck, has never had anything in the bed (1400 miles on it) so no scratches and crap to deal with, easy blend panel more or less.
So far so good at least on it. Took in a 2008 2500HD right at closing time, thing is hammered in the drivers side doors. Insurance figured new doors and a LKQ cab corner, but put a note on the estimate "can not see center pillar damage, figured repair and pull". I'm not sure what they could not see, the drivers door opened real easy for me (handle was ripped off, rods exposed though, lol) and you can see the post drove in about 4", 3 of the spot welds ripped loose by the floor and a gap at the top big enough to put a softball through.

I swear insurance appraisers are sent off to be brain washed or something. I took a 2500 estimate they wrote and turned it in to a 8000 repair, took a 2000 estimate and turned it in to a 4000 repair and this one no doubt I'll at least double. They'll learn I am not here to look pretty, I'm not here to just fix cars, but I'm here to make a living as well.

/end rant for the day
Old 01-14-2011, 10:55 PM   #306
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Ughh, I hate used welded structure. On the seam sealer, try to get under it with a razor blade to get it up in one strip. Right before paint, lay that strip in a shallow bed of seam sealer, and it will look factory after paint. The HD sounds like a sweet repair. I worked at a Lincoln dealership before this Chevy dealer, though. I miss the $6500 Towncar front end tap, and have it out in 4-5 days. $6500 on a Chevy truck has the radiator support dang near ripped off.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:26 PM   #307
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

That is a helluva an idea on the seam sealer, but I know it is way too late now though for trying it. Will damn sure remember it for next time though.

Don't get me started on used weld on stuff. We 100% refuse to do it on bedsides, have done maybe 2 or 3 quarters since we've been open and done a handful of hinge pillars/rockers. Sometimes it is just too cheap to not do it, when a uniside costs $1000 and you just need a little chunk and can buy it for $150.... as long as the labor time is there that's all that matters (we get 8 hours trim out on a weld on LKQ part).
Old 01-20-2011, 05:21 PM   #308
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Looks like my body mans helper had a bit of time today, he started working on the cab seam a little more and getting some of the hail dents out of the roof. Nothing like action shots when they don't know you're doing it.
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2011, 01:38 AM   #309
Devillusion

looks great.....keep up the great work. I hope to start on my crew shortly.
1970 Chevelle
1968 Biscayne 2dr post

"...there is no excuse for what I am about to do, but dangit....it's gonna be fun!"
Devillusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:08 AM   #310
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Damn, slipped all the way to the 4th page. Well, the last few weeks have proven to be a big challenge for us here. Two weeks ago we had 18" of snow, shut us down for 2 days and hurt us bad for another 2 due to not being able to get parts deliveries. Then last week we got another 8" of snow just about the time we were getting uncovered and able to operate, lost another 2 days more or less from that.
The shop is by no means busy, but we did have work just piled up and sitting, waiting on various things. Finally was able to crank work out the door at the end of last week, leaving me a fairly empty shop. Hopefully the bad weather will generate some business for us, usually start seeing it a few weeks after things clear up.

They got the roof in primer, and got some of the drivers door in primer, mainly to just not have it sitting with bare metal exposed for very long. They started on the bed last week, welded up some holes where the PO had installed some bed rails and knocked the majority of the dents out of both bedsides.
Getting pretty close to tearing both doors down and removing the bed so the new cab corners can be put in. Will have to jamb the door openings but I'm thinking we will not remove the doors and jamb them. If the body guys can get just about 3 days or so to work on it, I think it'll be in the painters court then and it'll get done fairly quickly. We'll have a blocking party and then a final sand party on it and make quick work of it once it's all been primed properly.
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2011, 09:44 AM   #311
mcbassin
Still Learning

Looking good Randy! I can't wait till I'm back at body work. That will mean I'm further along. Keep it up. and yep we got hammered with snow too. Never missed a beat except delays from ups trucks not running.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:35 AM   #312
87 chevy silverado
Account Suspended

lloks good wish mine looked that good
87 chevy silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:53 PM   #313
JohnC

Coming along nicely man!
Old 02-17-2011, 11:17 PM   #314
spudz

truck looks REALLY GOOD!!!!! coming along nice! I wish I knew the ins and outs of body work and paint.. That way I could be self sufficient.
2004 z71, 96 z71 on 38s, 88 Chevy k5 blazer, 4in lift. 84 swb project, 82 SWB project , 84 chevy 4x4 lwb project, 88 Jimmy beater/highschool ride. 79 c30. 99 tahoe 4x4 project. and a bunch of parts trucks..
spudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:38 PM   #315
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

The guys had a little time this afternoon, so a few things got done/started. Got the bed off of it, only 5 of the bolts would not come out so they got the heads ground off. The left cab corner is in and welded up, only one small fire. I won't rat them out, but thinner rags do burn pretty easy when a welding spark gets on them.
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2011, 03:33 PM   #316
pockets

Looks like you are getting close to paint. I'll bet that lift is sure handy. When I visit my brother-in-law's shop I just sigh when I see those lifts and dream about putting one in the garage
Old 03-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #317
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

If/when I build me a house, my shop out back will have one in it, that's for sure. They are cheap enough these days, so why not do it?
Old 03-04-2011, 03:50 PM   #318
pockets

I agree completely. I read about one guy that also put in a scissor lift. He said it was the perfect height for body work, and no interference from poles.

But if I had to choose only one, a two post is definitely the way to go
Old 03-08-2011, 02:00 PM   #319
dougminton

subscribed.

1972 GMC SWB
454 oval ports
TH400

fastest 1/4 mile time so far
13.05 @ 104

If you think you have too much horsepower
you obviously have a traction problem !
dougminton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:13 AM   #320
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

My guys got the right cab corner put in on Friday, so the patch panels are all done now. I spent a few hours Friday morning and finished tearing down the doors and some of the odds and ends for trim, should be about it for the "taking apart" stuff. The drivers door had just a little more body work to get done once the handle was out of the way and the tailgate has a few dents to get knocked out. Otherwise it is all about ready for primer and/or blocking.
I'm wanting to get new pins and bushings installed before we go much further. No real sense in waiting until we have fresh paint on it to try and get the doors all lined up and what not. Also need to drop the drivers side tank while the bed is off and flush it out and replace the pickup screen and make sure everything is in order with it.
Won't be long and I'll have to start the task of ordering a few more parts for it as we build it back. I know I destroyed the two rod clips holding the outside handle rod on to the latch, appears it was the first time they'd ever been removed. The drivers side wing window has some issues as well, I bet it was replaced sometime in its life because I could tell someone had "been there" for certain.
I did come in yesterday for a few hours and worked on the drivers side bed. Got the old gravel shield off and the double sided tape that was left behind from the moldings and then did a lot of DA'ing. Getting closer at least.
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2011, 08:25 AM   #321
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I would check the guy with the suburbans to see if he might have a better set of vent windows. I would almost rather take a kick in the crotch rather than rebuild them. Looking good so far. You probably should go ahead and order a weatherstrip kit now, too, since you are there.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:37 AM   #322
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

The drivers vent assembly has one nut that came off, looks like it is supposed to be tacked on to the frame. Thankfully the nut was in the bottom of the door so we can put that back on. Otherwise it is just missing one of the mounting locations for a screw, but the other two are there. I had planned on seeing if I could find another one in better shape though, as the gasket on it is in at best fair shape.
The weatherstripping had to be chiseled out a little piece at a time, will be no way to reuse it. I have new glass felt from GM here already, just need to find me some outer belt moldings (inners are fine). I also need a new front glass gasket and locking strip and have to buy a new back glass gasket as well since I am going from a slider to a solid. I will get with my glass guy and see if he has a better source that he knows will work for him, or if he wants me to just get something from LMC. Then I have to decide if I want a black lock strip or chrome. I'll probably go with black just because they hold up better.
In the next couple of weeks I know I will place an order for parts, just hope I get a few $$$ in the door first so I can afford it.

*edit to add pics*
Attached Images

Last edited by RandyP; 03-14-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #323
JohnC

I say now is a good time to go with the one piece window kits.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #324
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

My body man would quit if I did that.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:12 PM   #325
nbpro
Account Suspended

Looking good Randy
nbpro is offline   Reply With Quote