The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2005, 01:38 AM   #1
coltfan

hoping to be a truck owner again

Well I am looking at getting a truck again. I drove an s-10 for almost ten years, always admired the looks of older trucks. Now I am in the looking stages. There is a local cheapo used car lot that has a 63 with one of the utility beds on it. And it has the usually cab corner rust, but I feel so sorry for it sitting back there behind their office that I want to take it home. Body does not look too awful, but I would probably want to replace the bed with something more functional for what I want. I ain't looking to build a show piece, just a nice enough driver.
coltfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 09:42 AM   #2
LeftEar55

from Huntville, AL. I've owned S-10's for years, love them, but also love classic trucks as well. I've restored several classic cars/trucks in the past, including a 66 chevy short fleet custom cab, which is similar to a 63, but I didn't have to replace the bed. However, there are serveral companies out there that have the complete steel beds for sale. LMC Truck and Obsolete are good ones, IMHO. I really need on for my truck, but it's like 1200 bucks, no wood If you haven't done it already, you should start ordering catalogs left and right for it How much are they asking for it anyway? Try not to get ripped on it Hope this helps?
LeftEar55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 02:49 AM   #3
coltfan

They only want 650. I might be able to swing it next month. Actually what I would do is pay off a loan and then get a new one to cover some debts and the truck.

What I know is it is a 3/4 ton. Has a little cab corner rust. Has a utility bed with an overhead ladder rack. Front driver tire is flat. I think it is a GMC. Don't know about the motor. I am probably going to go look tommorow as I am off and there won't be anybody there to bother me while I look. I also looked at a 78 bronco they had. They are scizophrenic on their prices. Way over priced on the 71 caddy eldorado convertible, and a little under priced on some of their other stuff. The lot is associated with a pawn shop and they are way over priced on their guns. But I think the 63 is a good price assuming the motor is not gone. I do have a 472 caddy, but I was hoping to fix up the car that is in as it is fairly straight bodywise. Besides assuming it is a chevy motor, I could have any number of options with the motor.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:55 AM   #4
LeftEar55

Well, I know a 3/4 ton has 8 lug wheels, instead of 6 lugs, like half tons. You said you want to make it a nice driver? Well, 8 lug wheels aren't impossible to find, but they most likely won't be attractive?! Sounds like a decent price though, but I would try to get them lower, hehe. A friend of mine just bought a 3/4 and 1/2 ton, both 65's, both complete and not running for either $400 or $600 for the pair I just bought my 55 1st complete and non running for $400. If I remember, I'll ask my friend, what to look for, tomorrow at work. He knows more about 60-66 bodies. Look for rot in the lower doors too, as well as some or all of the floor? Hope that helps ya for now, that's about all I know and it ain't much...
LeftEar55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 12:36 PM   #5
Blue Beard

Welcome from SW Washington State...
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 06:25 PM   #6
coltfan

Got some pics, will upload them later. They lot also had a 67-72 type chevy. But looking at it, it is in worse shape. And with oil leaks every where.

I did more thorough looking on the 63, it is a chevy. Must have ahd it mixed up with another truck. It has a v-8. Looks to be original or at least pre HEI. It is a manual tranny, which I miss driving. They aired up the tire. The interior is in pretty good shape. The seat only has a couple of torn spots, none much longer than 3 inches or so. It has the original steering wheel and dash, with a newer stereo added. Has a 3 gauge cluster mounted under the dash.

Now for the body and rust report. It has rust in the passenger cab corner. This is the worst spot. I might have to go up 12 inches or so from the base to find clean metal. Looks like somebody used too much bondo to try and fix the problem. The lower portion of both doors needs at least a little work, more so on the passenger side. There is one or two little rust through spots on the floor board. One you can see through the driver's side wheel wheel. But overall the floor looks fairly solid. Hood is straight and only has a little surface rust bubbling, very minor under the lip. The grill is super straight. The one area that really concerns me is above the windshield. There is some serious bubbling there. I have pictures of it. The utility bed is solid with very little rust that I can see. It does have a spare tire in the bed portion. The bed itself does not run the whole length, there is a compartment in front of it. Also at the very front of the bed, there is what looks like a gas tank and a spot for the spare tire.