The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2019, 05:08 PM   #1
COCONUTS

Neutral Safety Switch help needed on 66 c10

I have a 1966 Chevy C10 that has a tilt wheel from a 70’s truck or van...but I’m not sure which one. It is installed using the original column mount from the 66. The switch was removed I’m guessing because there’s no room for combo I have? I have a TH350 transmission and need an easy way to install a neutral safety switch without it being a huge job.

Would the Lokar BL-1400U work or are these only for their floor shifters?

I don’t have backup lights on my truck so those aren’t a concern.

Any help is sincerely appreciated.

Greg
COCONUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:20 PM   #2
ACK

Re: Neutral Safety Switch help needed on 66 c10

Installing a neutral safety switch is also on my to do list. The switch you're looking at should be fine (here's install instructions and it lists the TH350 as being compatible) ... shifter type shouldn't be a factor, but take a look underneath first to be safe. Would like to know how the install went and if you like the Lokar, post a follow up when you're done.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:29 PM   #3
COCONUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACK View Post
Installing a neutral safety switch is also on my to do list. The switch you're looking at should be fine (here's install instructions and it lists the TH350 as being compatible) ... shifter type shouldn't be a factor, but take a look underneath first to be safe. Would like to know how the install went and if you like the Lokar, post a follow up when you're done.
Thanks for the reply, but I’m looking for information on where exactly the NSS gets installed. I have a regular column shift that the horseshoe switch has been removed due to using the original 66 column mount.

I think the switch needs to be mounted somewhere on the linkage underneath, but can’t find any instructions how to go about it. Do I need to fab a bracket to get this switch to work?

This is the information I seek
Old 01-20-2019, 01:06 PM   #4
Wrenchbender Ret

I have a NOS N/S switch that was used on step vans in the early 70,s with Th400 trans. I think it would be easily adapted to fit a 350 trans. I will get it out tomorrow when I go to the shop, take a hard look at it & snap some photos.
George
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:35 PM   #5
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCONUTS View Post
Thanks for the reply, but I’m looking for information on where exactly the NSS gets installed. I have a regular column shift that the horseshoe switch has been removed due to using the original 66 column mount.

I think the switch needs to be mounted somewhere on the linkage underneath, but can’t find any instructions how to go about it. Do I need to fab a bracket to get this switch to work?

https://www.jegs.com/InstallationIns...25-bl1400u.pdf
That is the neutral safety switch. See fig #1 where it say's "switch" that's it.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:40 PM   #6
ACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCONUTS View Post

You won't need to worry about the column wiring. If you didn't, look at the install link in my original reply, it goes over everything. If you're new to this, there should be a purple wire from the ignition to the engine wiring harness on the firewall; you'll need to reroute it to the NSS, which mounts under the truck so it can make contact with the shifter linkage. Again, if this is new to ya', you'll probably have to lengthen the wire. Do not use wire nuts to connect splices like the previous owner of my truck did.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:36 AM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The factory column shift NSS mounted on the steering column several inches up from where it passes thru the firewall. Since you do not have an original style column, you will have to either remove the column and cut a hole to mimick the original column or you will have to come up with a way to mount some sort of switch in the linkage somewhere. I do not know of any factory application that had a NSS actuated by the linkage.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:59 PM   #8
Wrenchbender Ret

Sorry. I can't find the one I thought I had. Brr its cold out there.
George
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 05:17 PM   #9
COCONUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
Sorry. I can't find the one I thought I had. Brr its cold out there.
George
Thanks for looking.

I think the lokar switch will work.

Unusual cold here too.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:20 PM   #10
COCONUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACK View Post

Thanks.....

I ordered the lokar switch..I’ll take photos of the install and post them back here when I get it done.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:26 PM   #11
COCONUTS

Lokar BL-1400U Switch arrived. Weather is too cold for laying on the concrete today. I will upload photos, any hiccups and review of neutral safety switch when I get it installed. I got it from amazon prime for $36.05 delivered after a $3 instant coupon amazon had. Looks like high quality and switch bracket mounts on lip of transmission pan using existing bolt holes. Next week is supposed to be in the 50’s and I hope to get it done. This setup looks a lot easier than messing with the OEM tilt column switch that is missing on my truck.
Attached Images

Last edited by COCONUTS; 01-23-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:28 PM   #12
Brad54

I've got a friend who builds high-end hot rods (starting price is $150K and goes up from there. He's build Riddler competitors). He recommended that Lokar switch for the PowerGlide in my Altered drag car, and said he installs them all the time on his builds (with 700R4 transmissions). It's easy to install, easy to wire, and does the job perfectly.

There's no cool like Old School
Brad54 is offline   Reply With Quote