The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2014, 09:24 PM   #1
Posted

oil gasket leak (STILL!) plus no brakes HELP

Guys I installed a new motor, and used a one piece blue gasket, chrome pan. It leaks around the crank chevy 350. I drained it dropped it 3/8 o an inch or so. All I have. I used the black rt around the front. Still leaking! Do I drain clean and repeat? Better choice of rtv? Also I have drum brakes all way around. Bled twice but still low to the floor and not stopping well. New master cylinder and vacuum pump. Something pulling air? How do I test? I need help please!
Posted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:08 PM   #2
Bhelton

Re: oil gasket leak (STILL!) plus no brakes HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posted View Post
Guys I installed a new motor, and used a one piece blue gasket, chrome pan. It leaks around the crank chevy 350. I drained it dropped it 3/8 o an inch or so. All I have. I used the black rt around the front. Still leaking! Do I drain clean and repeat? Better choice of rtv? Also I have drum brakes all way around. Bled twice but still low to the floor and not stopping well. New master cylinder and vacuum pump. Something pulling air? How do I test? I need help please!
Scuff chrome really good and use permatex, shiny chrome won't get good seal. Have you gravity bled brakes? Could have an air pocket trapped.
Bhelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:12 PM   #3
Posted

I bled the old fashion way, loosen , pump. I also used a little pump tool. I must still have a pocket? Makes sense on the pan. Only leaking on front. Think that is the only area to really scuff and seal?
Old 07-30-2014, 10:17 PM   #4
Bhelton

Quote:
I bled the old fashion way, loosen , pump. I also used a little pump tool. I must still have a pocket? Makes sense on the pan. Only leaking on front. Think that is the only area to really scuff and seal?
Scuff entire pan and reseal if you pull it. Permatex bonds better and isn't acidic like rtv. Really hard to help on brakes without know if everything was replaced, I've used reman masters from advance and autozone and found they were crap right off the shelf. If that's what you used I'd suggest a new not reman. Usually napa has the better master cylinders
Bhelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:33 AM   #5
Posted

Any idea if I can take the cross member off so I can drop the pan? Looks like I should do that. I just have no room
Old 07-31-2014, 10:02 AM   #6
Posted

Guys, should I drop the cross member? Then when I have the pan out change to the cork style gasket vs the blue one piece rubber? The cork style seals better?
Old 07-31-2014, 02:56 PM   #7
Xeen

I wonder if you have some part incompatibility going on between the pan, timing chain cover and block which is causing your leak. Is it the timing chain cover or the pan that is leaking, because it sounds like the timing chain cover is leaking to me.
On the brakes are you using the two man method to bleed them?

Last edited by Xeen; 07-31-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Xeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:07 PM   #8
garmar

Are you running a PCV valve? If so pull it and shake it to see if it rattles. If it's not new I'd just replace it. If the crankcase can't ventilate it will build up pressure and blow out your seals. Also, did you bench bleed your master before you installed it?
garmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:46 PM   #9
Posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmar View Post
Are you running a PCV valve? If so pull it and shake it to see if it rattles. If it's not new I'd just replace it. If the crankcase can't ventilate it will build up pressure and blow out your seals. Also, did you bench bleed your master before you installed it?
Wow. I will check the valve. My gutt is this chrome pan needs scuffing and good sealant. i already drained and was going to totally pull off tonight so I can clean perfect and start fresh.

Brakes - I do not know how to bench bleed..so no i have not. Someone else at work asked the same thing. How do I do this??

THANKS GUYS!!!!!
Old 07-31-2014, 10:54 PM   #10
garmar

Quote:
Wow. I will check the valve. My gutt is this chrome pan needs scuffing and good sealant. i already drained and was going to totally pull off tonight so I can clean perfect and start fresh.

Brakes - I do not know how to bench bleed..so no i have not. Someone else at work asked the same thing. How do I do this??

THANKS GUYS!!!!!
Basically you clamp your MC in a vise on your work bench, fill the reservoirs with fluid, and push in the plunger on the back of the MC until the air is purged out, then plug the holes so your fluid don't leak out until you can attach your brake lines. It's very hard to get the air out of the system unless you do this before installing. Google bench bleeding and watch some youtube videos to familiarize yourself, will be much more informative than me explaining. It's the best way I learn anyway.
garmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:23 AM   #11
litew8

The blue one piece should be better than cork. Make sure you have the right one and that you torque all bolts evenly, but not too tight. The front and back might need dabs of sealer on the corners. This video is the correct way to bleed the MC. Always bleed new master cylinders.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:57 AM   #12
jjzepplin

Yes you can pull the x-member-Done it myself (4x4) when my new one piece leaked. Had defective rtv. Used new stuff after cleaning and boom no leaks. You have to make sure you have the right gasket though as there are two thicknesses in the front timing area.

Oh yeah- you MUST bench bleed the master prior to install!
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:12 AM   #13
Posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjzepplin View Post
Yes you can pull the x-member-Done it myself (4x4) when my new one piece leaked. Had defective rtv. Used new stuff after cleaning and boom no leaks. You have to make sure you have the right gasket though as there are two thicknesses in the front timing area.

Oh yeah- you MUST bench bleed the master prior to install!
You must have supported the engine before pulling the cross member? Well as of right now I took the pan down as far as I could without taking the cross member off. Cleaned thoroughly, the pan and gasket, re-applied the black permatex. I noticed that the 1st time I attempeted the permatex did not bond to the rubber gasket. Some did and other spots were bare. After cleaning. I did a perfect job this time and added a nice bead top and bottom. Tightened evenly and then wiped the permatex around the front to make sure it is covered... If this does not work the cross member is coming off, and a new pan is going in!

I see the video above and will watch and do the MC.

THANKS so much to all you guys!!!!!!
Old 08-01-2014, 08:17 AM   #14
jjzepplin

Yeah I pulled the dist. for clearance and put a couple chunks of 4x6's (if I rem right) between the motor mounts and the frame.
The gasket is slippery so I just snugged lightly at first then the next day torqued to gasket specs. All has been good for about ten or more years.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:19 AM   #15
Posted

thanks!!