The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
67GMC3/4

sm420 broken

Well truck has sat while I finished school and decided to get it up and going last night. I swapped a new battery into it and got it going and hit some trails by my house kinda just to get the fliuids going in it. Well it didnt last too long was messing around climbing some hills and had to get on the pedal to push me up and after i hit the top i heard a loud cluncking noise, then felt the shifter start to kick around in the cab.Decided i was better of puttin it home and it did good still ran, so i figured it was maybe a linkage problem or something non catastrophic lol. I pulled the side cover on the truck and noticed that magnet inside not only had some chunks of metal but had a few teeth in her. now this leads to my next question anyone here familiar with these and anyone rebuild them before ? it looks like a simple one to do. Next question is the master kit that novak sells to rebuild it, does it include all the gears ?
67GMC3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:16 PM   #2
odog

Re: sm420 broken

Well I am in sorta the same boat, except my output shaft is stripped of the splines. There is a company in Utah that will take your tranny and rebuild it, supposedly bullitt proof, but the thing is it aint cheap. I am not familier enough with the sm420 to tell if its an easy rebuild or not, but I have a feeling I am going to be soon. I am not sure about novaks master kits, something to look into though. Good luck and keep us informed.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:28 PM   #3
j.kirn

Novak does not have the gears just seals ,bearings, gaskets
j.kirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
67GMC3/4

you guys know anyone that might have the gears ? it says on there site they can get the parts you just have to contact them I wonder what it will come out to. I would rather keep the sm420 other than swawing it out. id be a good learning experience to just do it myself ive seen some of the write ups and it looks too simple.
67GMC3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote