The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2021, 10:21 PM   #1
ToonMan

Bluedot taillights available?

Does anybody know of any company that sells 67-72 Fleetside tail light lenses that have blue dots already installed in them?
Attached Images

56 Chevy Cameo----Custom, [Turquoise]
67 Chevy C10 Short Fleetside (Black & White)
63 Trailorboat-------Teardrop Style Trailer
69 Honda CM90
ToonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 12:22 AM   #2
jimijam00

Re: Bluedot taillights available?

Not already installed.
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 12:23 AM   #3
ToonMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijam00 View Post
Not already installed.
No

69 Honda CM90
Old 12-01-2021, 06:32 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

I'm pretty sure there used to be lenses with them installed available. Blue dots got popular again around the late-80s. Mostly they were sold to be installed by the owner. They seemed to fade away again and I think it was because they could get you pulled over and ticketed. They don't go through safety inspection. Any blue light on a vehicle, other than police, is illegal. but that doesn't seem to matter anymore. At least around here, I see all sorts of lighting violations that are being allowed. red lights facing forward, amber on the rear, blue lights anywhere they want them, etc. The same is true for tires sticking out from the body. I see blantent violations when we used to get pulled over if the tread was even close to the width of the opening.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 12-02-2021 at 06:49 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:25 AM   #5
custom10nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I'm pretty sure there used to be. Blue dots got popular again around the late-80s. Mostly they were sold to be installed by the owner. They seemed to fade away again and I think it was because they could get you pulled over and ticketed. They don't go through safety inspection. Any blue light on a vehicle, other than police, is illegal. but that doesn't seem to matter anymore. At least around here, I see all sorts of lighting violations that are being allowed. red lights facing forward, amber on the rear, blue lights anywhere they want them, etc. The same is true for tires sticking out from the body. I see blantent violations when we used to get pulled over if the tread was even close to the width of the opening.
I’ve said the SAME thing numerous times lately.
In the early 80s, the Law was “Clear and Amber visible from the front, and Red visible from the rear”. On my Nova, I had a Hood Scoop, and thought it would be Cool to have lights inside. I hooked Red lights up and powered them off the Coil, so that as the RPMs went up and down , the light would get brighter or dimmer. Sounds Cool, right? Well the first time I was in town and it got dark, the Police didn’t “Think it was so Cool”.
Today? I live near Pigeon Forge Tn, and I’m amazed at what drivers are “GETTING AWAY WITH”.
Even Flashing Red and Blue LightBars or any other combinations of light colors, patterns, or directions
. While I’m all for being creative it’s one “Adding Custom Touches “ to make it his own, but then there’s the issue of SAFETY on the PUBLIC HIGHWAYS.
Then we have the issue of the monster stereo systems and drowning out all other “noise” even First Response Sirens. Add to this the “Squatted” trucks
I could keep going all day, but won’t.
Certain modifications don’t belong on the Public Roads.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 03:47 PM   #6
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

couldn't resist ;-)
Attached Images

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:13 PM   #7
Caddylackn

I remember them from the 80s. They do look purdy though at night, from a distance the blue dot makes the whole tail light look purple. When you get close it looks like a red tail light with a small blue dot.

With my luck I would get pulled over if I ran them. Once you drill that hole, the tail light lens is ruined. If I did install them, I would put them in cheap aftermarket lenses.

I do not want to give police any excuse to pull me over whenever they want.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:43 PM   #8
70STOVEBOLT

I am planning on running them but I have not drilled the lenses yet. I found info online that says the hole is 15/16” diameter but cannot find a drill bit or hole saw that diameter.

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks

Coming soon: EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23
70STOVEBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:02 PM   #9
Ironhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70STOVEBOLT View Post
I am planning on running them but I have not drilled the lenses yet. I found info online that says the hole is 15/16” diameter but cannot find a drill bit or hole saw that diameter.
If you decided to run the blue dots you could always use some masking tape over the t/l lens. Mark you spot and drill out as large as you can go with what bits you have. Then finish to size with a dremel tool or a hand "rat tail" file, checking for fit as you go. Thinking they are just a snug fit with a bit of epoxy glue maybe?

Have thought about them for my '57 as the blue dots were very much a thing for the 50s-60s street rod back in the day. Just not sure whether I want to deal with a hassle of local PD tho. Not sure what the legalities are for them in Kansas and never have taken the time to check in to it.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:50 PM   #10
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Order up a set and make em fit. If you're mechanical it will be a no brainer. Repro tail lenses are cheap so if you screw it up get another.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:07 PM   #11
68Gold/white

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Order up a set and make em fit. If you're mechanical it will be a no brainer. Repro tail lenses are cheap so if you screw it up get another.
Let us know if you get pulled over.
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:28 PM   #12
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70STOVEBOLT View Post
I had a blue dot on a Harley in the 80s . Cops didn’t like it but it was an equipment violation and the fine was $10 . I’m sure it’s a at least 100 now and court costs .

I’m puzzled that you couldn’t find a 15/16 ths bit . Quick google showed at least 15 different wood/metal bits in stock and ready for pickup tomorrow at my local Home Depot . First one would work well for plastic
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.

Last edited by 72c20customcamper; 12-02-2021 at 10:34 PM.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:37 PM   #13
70STOVEBOLT

I thought a paddle bit might crack the lens. I should have said “I haven’t found a drill bit that I wanted to spend $30 on for most likely a one time use”. I found a pair of “NOS” aftermarket lenses a while back for cheap and was going to use those. A friend gave me the glass blue dots a couple decades ago. I don’t want to spend a lot of money on something that I may have to remove if it becomes a problem with the law.

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks

Coming soon: EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23
70STOVEBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:58 PM   #14
ToonMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
I've done many sets myself. Just wondering if they were already down.

69 Honda CM90
Old 12-02-2021, 11:33 PM   #15
jocko

I loved the blue dots I had on my 57 chev (many, many years ago). I removed them after about the 3rd time officer friendly pulled me over to ruin my day. Maybe times have changed and I'm sure it's location-dependent, but it wasn't worth the hassle no matter how much I liked them on that old car.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 12:04 AM   #16
ToonMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
I loved the blue dots I had on my 57 chev (many, many years ago). I removed them after about the 3rd time officer friendly pulled me over to ruin my day. Maybe times have changed and I'm sure it's location-dependent, but it wasn't worth the hassle no matter how much I liked them on that old car.
Well here's my thought I keep driving around and seeing all these fast and furious cars driving around with blue neon lights all over their vehicle. And these guys are driving to work everyday. I'm not driving my 67 everyday. And if I have blue dots in the tail lights the cops can go I want to say something bad but I probably shouldn't on here. But if I'm just going to car shows and stuff like that they can eat it

69 Honda CM90
Old 12-03-2021, 11:26 AM   #17
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonMan View Post
Well here's my thought I keep driving around and seeing all these fast and furious cars driving around with blue neon lights all over their vehicle. And these guys are driving to work everyday. I'm not driving my 67 everyday. And if I have blue dots in the tail lights the cops can go I want to say something bad but I probably shouldn't on here. But if I'm just going to car shows and stuff like that they can eat it
Take a stock set of lenses and a screw driver with you. If they stop you just say: I have the original lenses in the truck, if I change them out now will you let me fly? I bet most would.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 07:31 PM   #18
jimijam00

Ya'll must live in some bad places if your cops have nothing better to do that pull you over for stupid ****. Either you are just paranoid, or perhaps you drive like a 16 y/o boy on crack and have a reason to fear the cops? Lol. Around here, cops have much bigger things to be worried about.

Last edited by jimijam00; 12-04-2021 at 02:17 AM.
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 05:35 AM   #19
tj1970cst

I would use a step bit
tj1970cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 05:41 PM   #20
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Ya'll must live in some bad places if your cops have nothing better to do that pull you over for stupid ****. Either you are just paranoid, or perhaps you drive like a 16 y/o boy on crack and have a reason to fear the cops? Lol. Around here, cops have much bigger things to be worried about.
I would think the opposite. Not a lot of crime here where I live so lots of time for V&T .
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 10:15 PM   #21
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich72C10 View Post
couldn't resist ;-)
Please help me understand your point in this post, if there is one.
Quote:
I was hoping to read mature replies in this thread. Obviously, I was mistaken. Let me start with giving mature answers to your reply that certainly was not.

First of all, "cops" have a job to do. That job is to support ALL laws, not just ones that certain people render worthy of their support. Cops are people, too, and what they deem worthy of their attention is left to their discretion, no matter what jurisdiction employs them. Paranoia applies to a distorted perception leading to worries that are unfounded by all others (not just you). I can say that when I was 16 I was a good driver, but my vehicles stood out from what the average Joe was driving. Been that way ever since. That, combined with being obviously young, led to being pulled over for a lot of petty things... that are on the books as illegal. Cops have big things to deal with everywhere, but they are employed to enforce all laws.
Maybe it's you who lives in an area where there are so many bigger fish to fry they simply don't have the resources to enforce the lesser violations. Or, is it you don't know what you are talking about? Do you actually know about every traffic stop and what the violations were? I certainly can't make that claim

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 10:17 PM   #22
raggedjim

In some states they are not illegal on vehicles over 25 years old. Kentucky is one of them. There are 29 or more states that allow them on antique or vintage vehicles.

Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd

Last edited by raggedjim; 12-22-2021 at 10:30 PM.
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 10:28 PM   #23
wfojon
Chevy guy

When I was young and dumb we'd ride our bikes all night on the freeways in SoCal. The CHIP's on bikes had the blue dot tail lights so other cops or us knew they were cops at night. You didn't want to get caught with a blue dot but now days no one cares.
65 C10 long bed fleetside
70 C10 long bed fleetside
74 C30 flatbed
wfojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 11:41 AM   #24
geunther

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
First of all, "cops" have a job to do. That job is to support ALL laws, not just ones that certain people render worthy of their support....
I appreciated your post is all. I too was that 16 year old kid with a 72 Blazer that screamed "please pull me over" for numerous reasons. Ironically I grew up to also be that trooper on the other side. My 16 year-old self gave me what I thought was a balanced perspective. Anyway, just appreciated your post.
geunther is offline   Reply With Quote