The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2022, 11:48 AM   #51
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: Whats do you recommend

I'd just rebuild the engine that's in the truck...

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 01:31 AM   #52
memo43

Well instead of just letting this thread die, especially after everyone took time out to give pointers.
I finally had the transmission replaced, to bad it took a little over a month to get to me.
But what I learned once the trans was out, intake manifold was leaky and actually sealed it self back up with all the grudge build up, those long tube headers that leaked so bad actually burned up the plug wires so bad that the even back of the engine was barely even firing. my T case had a slight leak at the adapter.
The exhaust held up with bailing wire, I was able to score some stock manifolds to include the Y pipe from an 88 suburban. I also was able to score the 40 gallon tank.

So new exhaust went with Magnaflow muffler exiting behind the driver side rear tire.
New Transmission still a th400 with a working kickdown
All new plugs and wires all 8 cylinder actually fire.

I learned that my gas mileage is around 15 miles per gallon, all highway driving.
I will eventually go some sort of EFI, as long as the compression ratio across all 8 cylinders hint that the engine is healthy still, I will hold up on the L31 vortec swap, that should buy me time to figure out what kind of gear ratio I will eventually go with.
But for now Ill drive an enjoy it.
Again thanks to everyone who commented and gave me some pointers along the way
memo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 01:27 PM   #53
truckster

If you're getting 15 MPG with a 350/400 combination, you're doing pretty well.
Old 03-01-2022, 02:55 PM   #54
memo43

Truckster thats with me taking it easy.
well at least until I can get the truck alignment done
anything over 55 (2500 rpm) I get the shakes.
But then again it's literally al highway driving for me.
I chose the stock manifolds of the 88 with the intent of being able to use them if I had to do the 350 vortec swap
Old 03-01-2022, 07:27 PM   #55
AcampoDave

I'm glad you were able to fix your old motor. I have become frustrated with a dirty old engine and had the instinct to "write it off". Then, after weighing it over decided to just dive in and get it sorted out. It takes more time than money when you're patient (and a bit lucky) and an old engine looks great all cleaned up and repainted. Heck, I've seen many a well tuned high mileage small block still roast a tire.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 12:37 AM   #56
memo43

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
I'm glad you were able to fix your old motor. I have become frustrated with a dirty old engine and had the instinct to "write it off". Then, after weighing it over decided to just dive in and get it sorted out. It takes more time than money when you're patient (and a bit lucky) and an old engine looks great all cleaned up and repainted. Heck, I've seen many a well tuned high mileage small block still roast a tire.
Thanks for the words of encouragement, that will be my next step
clean and degrease everything as well as trouble shoot any potential short falls.
Hopefully soon I will be able to get some before and after pics. I'm not going for Show car quality and finish, but at the same time i like the engine bay to be neat an presentable
You have any pics of your engine bay
Old 03-02-2022, 02:19 AM   #57
AcampoDave

Here's a pic of my stockish high mileage 283. I have replaced the timing chain, oil pump and freeze plugs but I'd estimate it has over 100,000 miles since the full rebuild and has been in two different trucks during that time. It runs great and I've owned it for 35 years periodically cleaning it up and repainting it. It used to be pretty in orange but when i found out gray was the original color for a '64, I was compelled to yank it and paint it. Then about 4 years back it ate a pushrod which neccesated a thorough flushing and cleaning so it got yanked , flushed and painted again this time with a new rear main seal. This pic was taken shortly thereafter.
Attached Images

Last edited by AcampoDave; 03-02-2022 at 02:34 AM.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote