The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2010, 11:55 PM   #76
joe231

Re: My Crewcab Shortbed

Progress is progress Chuck!!!

I was wondering about the spelling, mystery solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972SuperCheyenne View Post
Really..... I happen to have an immaculate set of black leather full power seats from a 98 or so Tahoe that may just be available. Same style as in Chucks pics. Just a FYI......
really....I probably can't afford them right now, and shipping will be a killer....but I'm interested. PM me with some info

Last edited by joe231; 07-07-2010 at 11:56 PM.
joe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:07 AM   #77
Stitch
Account Suspended

Yeah this iPhone gives me a hard time with my spelling lol

I got the firewall all scuffed up now. I wetsanded it with some 800 grit. That should be good for now. Gotta get the jambs scuffed and bodywork done to them and the back window removed so I can scuff the back wall. Them it'll be time for some primer. Sorry no pics fellas. That firewall wore me out lol. I'll get some pics of everything primered when it's done. Hopefully I can get some color on it today. Fingers crossed
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:56 AM   #78
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Wet sanding? That is so 1990! Firewall and jambs, red scotch brite and start shooting it! You can save a step and use soapy water and the scotch brite if you wanted, clean and scuff at the same time. Heck we barely use any water when cutting them to buff, painter just has a little bottle to mist on if needed. But really, just about any sealer will cover red scotch brite sand marks.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:45 AM   #79
Stitch
Account Suspended

Well I wish I didn't have to wet sand it but it does make it feel good and smooth and it's what I had on hand so it's what I'm using lol. Truck fund is running a little dry this week after spending $200 on paint. On top of that i have surface rust in the jambs that I'm having to wire wheel and some bondo to cover up some pitting. So I need to actually sand to feather it. If it was just a repaint then I could see scuffing with a red scotchbrite and if I had the money I'd go get me some red scotchbrite but seriously my play money has run dry lol

Last edited by Stitch; 07-08-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #80
87 chevy silverado
Account Suspended

i think u found my red depending on the way it looks on the truck. now a silver? i am speaking bout my truck in the future.
87 chevy silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:36 PM   #81
Stitch
Account Suspended

Yeah I really like that red in the paint book. We'll see how it looks on the truck. It gonna get paint on it tomorrow. I gotta buddy of mine over here now helping me with the little bit of bondo work on it and he's gonna come over and spray it for me. He does this stuff for a living.

Also Randy part of the reason why I didn't want to use the red scotchbrite was because I didn't want to have to go into town. But I ran outta sandpaper lol. So I went into town and got me some more paper and some red Scotchbrite. Thanks for the tip on that
Old 07-08-2010, 03:25 PM   #82
87 chevy silverado
Account Suspended

post pics when u do
Old 07-08-2010, 03:30 PM   #83
Stitch
Account Suspended

Definitely.

I gotta go back outside and sand some more lol. Have I said yet that I hate body work. I'm am definitely not doing the bodywork on my blue and white. I'll pay someone to do it. PITA. I've never done it before and I don't wanna do it again lol.

I'll post pics in a few.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #84
OJOE
Crew Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Hoe View Post
Thanks OJOE. I don't know whether I'm gonna keep the headrests or not. We'll see when the time comes to recover them. Do you have some pics of how you mounted them so I can get and idea of what needs to be done. Thanks man
1x2 tubing to mount and i used 3rd row burb small headrest. good luck joe
Attached Images

06 CHEV TAHOE (WIFES)
30 MODEL A HOT ROD
07 HARLEY DAVIDSON BAGGER
09 STREET GLIDE
AN D A LOT MORE JUNK
OJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:06 PM   #85
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

My dash/glove box/ashtray are all being shot right now. You're falling behind. Chop chop!
Old 07-08-2010, 05:27 PM   #86
Stitch
Account Suspended

Oh man. I am gonna pay someone to do my blue and white truck. No doubt about it in my mind. Not gonna happen with me doing it LOL. Anyways all the jambs, the dash, and the firewall are all bodyworked and scuffed. In the morning I'm gonna tape it all up and clean it and then my buddy is gonna spray it for me. Then when it's dry I'm gonna fab up the seats in there. I gotta spray some stuff on the floorboard for the surface rust and then I can install the power door harness that gos in the cab. Oh crap I forgot to drill holes in the jambs for the door harnesses to go through. Somethig else to do in the morning. I'm not doing anything else tonight. My back and my thumbs are killing me. If I had to do this for a living I would go broke lmao. I have more respect now than ever for someone in the paint and body business. Anyways here's some pics for y'all. I know y'all gotta have your fix.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:35 PM   #87
Stitch
Account Suspended

More pics...

Old 07-08-2010, 05:47 PM   #88
Stitch
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
My dash/glove box/ashtray are all being shot right now. You're falling behind. Chop chop!
Mine will be shot tomorrow. Btw thanks alot on the red scotchbrite. That worked like a charm. I had to use the paper and wetsand the edge to feather it in but on the good paint the red scrotchbrite worked like a charm
Old 07-08-2010, 06:01 PM   #89
joe231

right on!!
what are you going to do about the different holes for the A/C air box?
I'd hate for you to get it all painted up then have to cut and weld on the firewall
Old 07-08-2010, 06:04 PM   #90
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Just make sure you mask up every hole! Otherwise the dirt fairy will visit you over and over and over and over. Some sealer and paint and that'll be cherry!
Old 07-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #91
Stitch
Account Suspended

I'm gonna cut the holes for the A/C box on the firewall and the holes in the jambs for the door harnesses tomorrow morning before paint. Thanks for the encouragement fellas. I swear I sanded my fingerprints off today lol.

Randy I posted in your thread about the primer I have I posted pics in there. The paint store said that would be fine to go over the bare metal. They told me I might want to use sealer when I paint the whole truck.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:20 PM   #92
Stitch
Account Suspended

Btw I also made a decision to not paint the rear cab wall. I'm going to cover the lower half in carpet to match the floor and the upper half right under the window I'm actually going to cover in tan vinyl to match the interior. I think that the red in the back is just going to distract from the flow of the rest of the interior so it's not getting painted
Old 07-08-2010, 07:59 PM   #93
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Hoe View Post
Randy I posted in your thread about the primer I have I posted pics in there. The paint store said that would be fine to go over the bare metal. They told me I might want to use sealer when I paint the whole truck.
I replied in my thread, they lied to you. Might want to use sealer? You need to find a new paint store. Or a smarter person selling paint in that store. Surprised they didn't ask you the engine size or something when you asked about the primer....
Old 07-08-2010, 09:16 PM   #94
Stitch
Account Suspended

Because of your thread and our conversation over there, I'm just gonna get some etch primer in a rattle can. I've used that at work before so I know what to look for. Thanks again Randy.

Also Joe, I went outside and decided I was going to get started on cutting the holes in the jambs and the firewall and realized on the second jamb hole that a wood hole saw bit is no match for old GM iron LMAO. Im gonna go get my airsaw from work tomorrow morning and some plastic for masking. I'm also gonna get some etch primer while I'm out. I also went in the shed and pulled out the inner and outer air box and put the outer up on the firewall and I don't think it's gonna be that bad. The mounting holes seem to line up so it shouldn't be too hard to cut the new holes for the box where I need to. By the time I got the airboxes out and lined them up it was too dark outside to do anything. Looks like I have the night off. I will tell y'all my hands are killing me. I can not say enough how much I respect someone who sands on cars for a living.

Hopefully everything goes as planned tomorrow with the paint so I can start putting the dash and firewall back together Saturday.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:31 PM   #95
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

I have not had fingerprints since like age 13. It actually caused a serious problem when I tried to get my concealed carry permit. They rejected print cards from my local P.D., two county S.O.'s and from Tulsa P.D.. I ended up having to drive to OKC to have the O.S.B.I. try and print me. They finally admitted I just didn't have much of a print to try and take.

Are you positive you do not want to yank your front and back glass before painting the cab jambs? What will you do if you get them out and have some rust in those pinch weld areas that you need to fix real quick? Might be a pain to come back and do that and have to worry about your interior being in the way/being damaged/getting overspray on. Just food for thought.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:54 PM   #96
Stitch
Account Suspended

I gotta window for my buddy to come over so when I paint the truck and pull the front and rear glass, if there is some damage I'm just gonna have to be careful. I thought about pulling the windows but I just can't get it done in time. I have so many other things to do before he sprays it tomorrow
Old 07-08-2010, 10:18 PM   #97
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Looks good , Chuck! i cant wait to see the progress tomorrow..... im thinking im sending mine down to you when i get to doing that one!

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:26 PM   #98
Stitch
Account Suspended

Lol you got a wait until this ones done and the blue and white one. Once this ones done were gonna sell my wifes 'clown car'. And then were gonna eventually get Laura another car. When that happens the cab is coming off the frame of my blue and white truck. Once that one is done years from now, you're more than welcome to bring yours on down.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:02 AM   #99
87 chevy silverado
Account Suspended

sounds like u got a plan.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:45 AM   #100
mcbassin
Still Learning

Nice project! I will be following along. I really like that red you chose too.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote