The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2017, 03:16 PM   #1
J03

First Truck Project

Hello Forum Members!

I am wondering if it is reasonable to be able to restore to daily driver condition a 1970-72 Chevy or GMC C10 for under $5000. I would like to learn more about these trucks by doing most of the work myself.

Thanks,
Jake
J03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:06 PM   #2
Boog
laying low

Re: First Truck Project

Welcome aboard Detroit.
If you already own a truck and said truck is running already you might could get it done for that. Just depends on what the truck needs and how far you want to take it.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:46 PM   #3
bill3rail

Welcome! You will definitely learn a lot! Definitely reasonable unless you paid $4500.00 for it or the frame is rotted away. Up in the D, as is here in NY, the roads are salted heavily so it takes a toll on the undercarriage.

Bill
Old 10-02-2017, 11:03 PM   #4
toomany2yz

Find the cleanest, running, driving and complete truck to start with. That will most likely mean going out of state. Might also cost a little more up front as well. But, you will proabably start with something that is closer to your end goal (thus cheaper).

I started my project with a free vehicle. It ran/drove and was mostly complete. Needed some rust repair and paint. I wanted a nice driver. Proceded to take it apart and fix/replace as it went back together. Well that turned into pretty much a frame off restoration and I'm well past 5k and have quite a bit more to go.

If you can avoid that spiral by keeping the truck drivable and only doing small projects one at a time, you'll keep to your budget better.
toomany2yz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:11 PM   #5
J03

I have found a truck near me that interests me. Would it be a good base for a project?https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/c...260324232.html
J03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 01:13 PM   #6
Sweeet67

Have you called to see if it's still available? Looks like a fairly good start to me. I see evidence of a/c, and the bed storage is pretty cool. He says open to offers, id prob start in the 2500 range and see if I could get it under 3000. That is of course if you are comfortable with rust repair. Lots of new parts already in it though. Good luck!
Sweeet67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 01:15 PM   #7
Low Elco

If you want a fun bomber that you can learn about while driving, that'd be a good one. Do you have any background in this? A place to work on it? The things tie directly into the cost/aggravation scale. Do you have a lady? Is she down with this? Do you care, for real? This is also a big factor.

#1 Pro Tip: KEEP IT RUNNING! DO. NOT. immediately tear it down in hopes of making it a show beauty. Especially if you're a newb, the "over your head" line comes up REALLY fast, then you have a giant ugly pile of parts and a huge hassle you (and your SO) are gonna hate. That being said, if you keep the projects small and the expense reasonable, you can have lotsa gratifying fun with an old truck. Also, people seem to dig/gravitate towards the old beaters. They assume the guy with the full show truck is gonna be a knob. Honestly examine your situation, and hop on in! We'll be here to help you along. Welcome!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote