The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2004, 04:02 PM   #1
cojnit
Nothing clever

Sound systems

What have you all done for sound systems?

I am thinking of learning how to make my own fiberglass speaker pods.

Thinkng of putting them in the kick areas up front, Trying to think of areas for the rear seats, and maybe mounting the subs and amp(s) in the rear quarter panels.

I think I am going to try to make fiberglass pods for the subs that mount inside the quarter panels.

Obviously it wouldnt be yellow.

Have any of you done this or put any thought into something like this?? Was thinking of making some kind of hinge to open and close, for servicing
Old 04-06-2004, 09:11 AM   #2
bagged91
Out draggin'

I have done a couple of these "glass" enclosures. They are a lot of work to get them so they will take paint but the effort is worth it.

The sub box itself will either need to be sealed or ported, depending on your sub's & your taste(I prefer the tighter bass I seem to get from a sealed enclosure...

Basis glass enclosure 101:

Figure out what sub you are going to use. Find out the cubic feet of airspace in the box that you are going to need for that sub.

When building the enclosure, there is a very scientific way to figure out the volume of the inside of the box's but this is how I do it. Get a 12" x 12" x 12" cardboard box & some of those styrofoam packing peanuts(available at the UPS Store). You can now figure the volume of the enclosure(one boxfull of peanuts = one cubic foot).

Use 3/4" to 1" MDF to make the box. Cut it to fit in the body but leave a little space(3/4" is fine) behind the box. I always glue my boxes with liquid nails & screw them together. For the area for the sub to mount, use a plunge router with the circle template(available at Sears,ect...) and make the "rim" for the sub to mount in. I usually make it from 2 pieces of 3/4" glued together and I "french" the sub into the first ring so that it is a little below the surface. Use a piece of 1" wooden dowel or whatever scrape you have laying around to position the ring where you see fit. By alternating the legnths of the dowels, you can make the ring sit on an angle.

You can use fiberglass cloth or mat(I prefer the cloth) but I have also used sweatshirt material, speakerbox carpet, felt and various other heavy fabrics in box construction. I try and stay with glass cloth or mat for sub box construction but for the doors or kickpanels that will only house your mids/highs, I use any of the others that I can find cheap at the fabric store. Stretch fabric of choice over enclosure and staple. Be sure to remove any wrinkles. Also, be sure to leave frenched in area for sub free of any fabric. Once everything is stapled, begin brushing on the fiberglass resin. I usually will lay another layer of cloth ontop once material is hardened when doing a sub box just for added stregnth. You can begin to smooth it out when the resin is dry. I generally slather the whole area to be painted with bodyfiller and work it out with a DA sander and finish it by hand.

When done, be sure to caulk the inside of the box... Also, dynomat the 1/4's on the burb as they will rattle.

Sorry so long but I hope it helps!
72 C10 Burb (ex. Cheesewagon)SOLD
72 C20 Burb parts truck
71 C10 Burb "project"
bagged91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 01:43 PM   #3
cojnit
Nothing clever

thanks bagged, this is exactly what I have read, you help is appreciated. I am sure I will have some questions for you regarding this whole thing. I was wondering if you have done the system in your burb?

If so what did you do for speakers in the middle row area? I dont really want to cut into the door panels, but want to put some speakers back there.

Thanks Again
Old 04-07-2004, 05:32 PM   #4
bagged91
Out draggin'

I haven't done the system in mine yet but I'm not gonna go crazy with my burbs' system(my 91' is getting the monster system in it). I want to put just enough in the burb' to sound nice but it won't win any SPL comps...
I was looking at the area under the seat for two 10" subs(fire them down) and putting a nice set of 6 x 9's in the rear and some component kickpanel speakers up front with a couple of nice amps to push it. I may do a few flush mount LCD screens in the roof & visors for my daughter to watch her "Elmo's World" dvd's on & play with the PS2...
72 C20 Burb parts truck
71 C10 Burb "project"
Old 04-17-2004, 10:33 PM   #5
oldschoolburb

custom but original looking

It sounds like you're going for the whole bumpin pro-aftermarket setup. Either way check this out.

My 72 suburban was all original as far as no permanent damaging modifications like holes in the doors or big space-taking sub boxes in the back with mounting holes. I like crystal clear, bumpin at times, loud music just as much as the next, but I refuse to ruin these perfect specimans of vehicles we all call "Classics". So with a little research I put togother a system from 'Custom Auto Sound' and a local sound shop.

My head unit is MP3 capable with auxilary input. I have xm radio (hidden). A mini-disc changer and cd changer both under the front seat. 6 1/4 coaxles in custom kickpanels that do not restrict foot positions or show off that you have a high end set up. Two 'Stealth' speakers with 5in cones and 2 tweets on each encloser FACING the front and the rear for that full surround sound. Each enclosure is the perfect height for that seat. I originally placed a 'Spare Tire Sub woofer w/ built in amp directly behind the spare tire (hidden of course) but soon realized it wasn't enough base for me. So I replaced it with a hard to find width 10" kicker sub in an air-tight box (no grill due to it's extreme tight fit) under the middle seat and OUT OF THE WAY. Last a nice powerful mono amp for the base only. Oh ya, I also have the dual voice coil under dash speaker that makes all the differance in the world for vocals and highs along with some very appriciated non-distorted base....go figure. Can I enter a sound comp?....No. Is it enough base to get on your nerves and make you want to turn it down?.........Sure. I'll tell you. I went all over looking for a shop to intall a set up. They would have cut the dash, holes in doors and who knows how much space in the rear the sub box it would have taken. I'm happy, and I can pull my truck up to a show, park or whatever, crank it up for the immediate crowd and still gain the respect. Stay original and keep the thieves away.

Happy listening!!!!
oldschoolburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 03:28 AM   #6
cojnit
Nothing clever

I WOULD LOVE SOME PICTURES OF THE INSTALLS!!

I am trying to do the best job I can with out cutting doors and panels. The dash was cut when I got it so no desicion there.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:08 PM   #7
98L150
///Relaxed Atmosphere

Links to some install pics

Here are some links with threads of installs.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...hreadid=100747

http://www.customclassictrucks.com/f...ehicles/84345/
2012 Chevy Avalanche
2003 Chevy S10 Blazer Xtreme
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/RA_Jeff
64 Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=295915
98L150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 09:22 PM   #8
bagged91
Out draggin'

oldschoolburb,
I am running the ORIGINAL AM/FM in my dash with the original speaker hooked up to it. BUT, I will be putting in a custom system in the truck. You will not see it but it will be there. The headunit is going into a "GM tissue dispenser" that I picked up at a show(I think it's for a 63 Impala) which will be mounted under the dashboard in the center. The kickpanels are going to have a set of Cerwin Vega components in them but I will be angling them slightly toward the middle for better sound as they are in my 91's kickpanels. The CV 6 x 9's in the rear are going BEHIND the rear panels with the backerboard being cut out and the vinyl being "perforated" to allow the sound to come through. If I don't like that, I also have a set of original speaker grilles from my 70 Chevelle that I can always use. For the bump, I am using a pair of Cadence "Wild Beast" 10" Competition subs in a sealed box mounted under the middle seat. The box will be wrapped in carpet to match the floor. Amps will be under front seat. I will be running a 1500W@ 2ohm Cadence amp to the subs and a 300W 4 channel amp to the others. All in all, a nice, clean install that will sound nice and not ruin the truck in anyway...
72 C20 Burb parts truck
71 C10 Burb "project"