The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2006, 03:29 AM   #1
stringpickin

Location: Northern Ca. at the base of the valley just entering the sierra foothills
AC & Heater Switch Overheats/burns up/??RELAY SETUP

Hey and Good day!

I dont't know about you, but it seems like I have to replace my AC/Heater Switch about ever 2 years. It dies the same way every time. It gets hot, I smell that favorite electrical stuff is burning smell, and zap the fan quits working. I learned many years ago, don't reach under the dash and grab the Plastic Wire Plug that plugs in to the AC switch right as this happens. It burns like 60.. I once could see smoke coming from there and new what was happening and thought might start fire, so I tried to yank it off. Don't Do that unless you absolutely have too..

What is strange is it never burns the fuse out. The switch goes first.. And also it does actually destroy the actual contacts of the switch because it gets sloppy when you flip it up and down afterwards..

So....Anyway.... Anyone else have that problem? I have heard a couple of people tell me they have that I have talked to here and there on the street.

That leads me to the question. Has anyone here come up with a slick and easy way to wire relays in to the system so that the juice of the Fan Motor and the Compressor Clutch so that the AC switch is only used to throw the relay and the juice runs through the relay for the two???

I am sure I can figure it out eventually, but I was hoping maybe someone here could help me out, save me a bit of time and give me some good advice on what they found as they accomplished it.

Or maybe there is another fix that is out there because something else is causing this problem that I for the life of me cannot seem to figure out?

In either case, I would appreciatte your help, advice, and time..

Thank you very much. If you want to post here, that is fine, but if you want to email me at stringpickin@sbcglobal.net that is fine too..

Moderators. Please bare with me as I post this same topic to the Blazer section, and any other section that includes this same AC system so that I can possibly hit someone that can help. Thank you.. String..
Old 04-06-2006, 01:26 AM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: AC & Heater Switch Overheats/burns up/??RELAY SETUP

Time for a 40 amp relay. What you have happening is what is called thermal over load. As you described it leaves the fuse alone and burns the switch. It is caused by a bad connection at the burn point. some times its the contacts in the switch. You can purchase a relay kit from almost any hotrod oulet and wire it in. Wire it up like this air compressor except that its an a/c compressor and the pressure switch is the on off switch.

http://www.madelectrical.com/catalog/rly-1.shtml
Attached Images

Last edited by dwcsr; 04-06-2006 at 01:27 AM.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:44 PM   #3
stringpickin

Location: Northern Ca. at the base of the valley just entering the sierra foothills
Re: AC & Heater Switch Overheats/burns up/??RELAY SETUP

Hey and Good day.. Thank you very much for your advice and help.. I am wondering though.. Do you think it is the compressor(magnet that engages the clutch) that is drawing the load and causing the heat or the Blower fan that is causing the heat??? I was thinking it was probably the Blower fan..

thanks again..

String