The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2020, 07:54 PM   #1
Isaiah92260

Carter YF 3211s issues

Hey fellas, I have a hard time not messing with my truck. Ha
Anyways my Rochester 1bbl was working fine, but I was hearing a lot of good things about a Carter YF. So I finally found one and had it rebuilt by a local carb rebuilder near me in El Monte.

The issue I’m having with the Carter is that when I start the truck up, it idles fine, even runs fine. It’s an automatic choke but my truck is set for a Manuel choke so I installed a universal Manuel choke which works fine, but I noticed that at a cold start up, the choke doesn’t let the truck start, it’s better to pump some gas, start her up and hold the pedal a bit till it idles on its own. Also once the truck warms up and I start driving for about 5 minuets, the truck starts to run really rough and then stalls on me which is my main problem.

After it stalls on me, I will let it sit for a couple minutes, and then it’ll start right up, but again once I take off, it stalls on me again.
It,ll do that over and over again.

But as soon as I pull back into my garage and let the truck idle, it keeps running.

Strange right?

Finally after letting it idle for a bit, it started to run rough again so I finally shut it off, and opened up the carburetor. I found online that the float level is 1/2”, float drop is 1 1/4”, and the meeting rod plate should be touch the metering arm base. I checked all those and they were spot on.

For a second I was thinking maybe the carb was flooding

So now I am stumped on what it could be.

My Rochester never did this. Reason why I switched them out is because the Carter is supposed to be a better carb, little more power and MPG. The pedal travel on the Carter is a lot more on the foot which was nice.

I have a 1961 235.
And I have a Carter YF. 3211s.
If anyone has any experience whith these 235 Carters and can help me out please let me know thank you.

Last edited by Isaiah92260; 01-12-2020 at 08:12 PM.
Isaiah92260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:04 AM   #2
bsarts

Re: Carter YF 3211s issues

I've never run one of those carbs before, but I have run a few with electric chokes and I believe that a carb with an electric choke has a cam wheel on the throttle linkage with steps on it for keeping the idle at a certain speed for different choke positions. You might be better off using the electric choke that came with that carb, all you gotta do is run a wire to it that is hot in run.
bsarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:39 PM   #3
bhap

I put a Carter 3211s on my 62 with a 235 and left it automatic choke. So far, so good. Does your "universal" manual choke hold the butterfly tightly or can it move around? It almost sounds like the choke of flipping back and forth between open and closed. You may want to check on the stovebolt.com forum - there are a couple of guys - JonG and Carbking that seem to know a lot about the carbs for the 6 cylinders.
bhap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:23 PM   #4
Isaiah92260

@bsarts my carb doesn’t have a cam with steps on it, but I believe you are right that I should just put an electric choke on it..
I took the carb back to the rebuilder today, I’m hoping they can diagnose it for me.

@bhap
Yeah there is a little play in the choke, maybe about 1/8”-3/16” of play. I don’t believe it’s shutting closed tho while driving, it stays open when I have the choke pushed against the dash.

I’ve seen that guy on there a few times I need to reach out to him thank you
Isaiah92260 is offline   Reply With Quote