The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2017, 01:07 PM   #1
nitrosport_5

Steering wheel alignment

Ive been fighting trying to get my steering wheel straight on my 72 k20. I have a 4" spring lift with a raised steering arm. My drag link is straight when yhe truck sits level, so i believe that is all setup right. My issue is no matter how i adjust the drag link the truck will either not turn all the way either direction, or the truck steers geat both ways the steering wheel is just off about 1/3-1/2 of a turn when going straight.

What am i doing wrong? I could take the wheel off, move it a few splines and line it up, but thats not the correct thing to do is it? Im fairly certain the splines on the end of my column have a timing mark on them for the steering wheel to line up correctly. The rest of the parts i believe can only go one way, i thought i may have had my steering shaft a half turm off but it only goes one way as well.
Attached Images

nitrosport_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:27 PM   #2
jeffahart

Re: Steering wheel alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrosport_5 View Post
or the truck steers geat both ways the steering wheel is just off about 1/3-1/2 of a turn when going straight.
Makes me want to say leave it like that but I think you are saying you lose some steering both directions: is that correct?

I think you might unbolt your steering damper, Then try it. You must center the damper arm, and have enough travel. In the spirit of trying the easy stuff first!
Old 09-08-2017, 12:29 AM   #3
mongocanfly
Post Whore

what I've done in the past was get the front wheels straight...get the steering linkage adjusted so that thensteering box travel lock2lock is also centered...then if the steering wheels still off take it off and clock it so it sits straight as well...all this was done on a non gm truck and it had no timing marks..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:02 AM   #4
B. W.

I agree with Mongo, if the gear box is centered lock to lock the steering wheel should be close to straight. If is off by more than a little you need to move the wheel.
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:54 AM   #5
randy500
Account Suspended

I don't agree, the wheel is centered using the steering arm sleeve. The steering gear box input shaft has a flat on it and when the box is centered it should face straight up.
It's possible that the gear box has different internal stops for left and right, the end plug is one of those stops, I can't remember how the other one works. Steering gear box rebuilders disassemble dozens of boxes at a time and don't keep all the parts together, someone could have put in the wrong stops.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:23 PM   #6
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
what I've done in the past was get the front wheels straight...get the steering linkage adjusted so that thensteering box travel lock2lock is also centered...then if the steering wheels still off take it off and clock it so it sits straight as well...all this was done on a non gm truck and it had no timing marks..
This x3

I missed the part where the steering box was replaced, so doubt it's assembled incorrectly. Thought just a lift added, if so, this above. But unhook the damper(s) then get everything straight, test steering. I never give a crap about the steering dampers and steering wheel until I drive it an all is OK, then I hook up damper. Then pull the wheel and place/clock it where it makes me happy.

Start with the easy stuff, then go from there. Let us know.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:09 PM   #7
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I went back and re-read nitros post 4x..no mention of replacing the steering box...

nitro you should be able to turn your steering wheel lock2lock...that's the limit of the gearbox range divide the number of rotations by 2 and that should be the cemter of the gearbox travel....lets say it turns 6 rotations lock2lock. ..divide by 2 =3...turn wheel back 3 rotations from either limit..that should be centered and your steering wheel shoild be straight...

Last edited by mongocanfly; 09-08-2017 at 06:19 PM.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote