The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2019, 12:51 AM   #1
Zenwren

An idea for an in-tank fuel pump with tank in cab

I was toying with the idea of putting an efi kit on my '50 3100 and one of the big hangups I ran into was the fuel pump. I found nothing but terrible reviews about in-line pumps overheating and leaving you stranded and obviously didn't want an in-tank pump whirring away inside the cab. I also didn't like the idea of moving my fuel filler or spare tire.

So here's my crazy idea...
Mount a small 2-3 gal fuel cell in the frame below the cab, have your high pressure pump and sender installed in that. The factory tank will connect directly to this smaller tank with gravity/siphon feeding it. An air bleeder would probably be needed in the smaller tank, but should only need to be done once as long as you don't run it out of fuel. The return would (I think) run back into the factory tank.

It's basically the same as the underhood fuel pump modules that the aftermarket sells, but doesn't rely on the mechanical fuel pump to supply it. Am I crazy or would this work?
Zenwren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:19 AM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: An idea for an in-tank fuel pump with tank in cab

I don't know about what you read that said (terrible reviews about in-line pumps overheating and leaving you stranded)...but ive been running a inline pump on mine for about 8yrs and 30k miles now ...no issues

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 05:04 AM   #3
Overdriven

I see no reason this wouldn’t work. A couple changes I’d make, I wouldn’t use a fuel cell, I’d probably weld up my own little box and it would be under 2 gallons. The other change is with the lines and air bleeder. If you have an additional line going from the top of the small tank to the top of the main tank you won’t need an air bleeder. I’d be tempted to try having the small tank tee’d into the return line going to the main tank, but residual fuel in the return line may cause issues with the small tank filling if you ever totally ran out of fuel.

While I have read about inline pump failures I agree with mongo that they can be perfectly reliable without the sort of setup described. I’d ascribe most failures to improper plumbing, wiring or the pump being a cheap auto parts store replacement or knockoff instead of an oe pump.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:46 AM   #4
AJC

The idea works. I know of one called the Fuel Command Center 2. I heard they had problem with the first one boiling the fuel. The fix was to add a return, so you can keep the pump cooler with a consent supply of gas.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:46 AM   #5
SunSoaked

Save yourself the headache and just buy the Edelbrock Remote Sump. I use it on my 85 with dual tanks and it's easy and reliable.
SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:41 AM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: An idea for an in-tank fuel pump with tank in cab

This has been done for year's. The guy's back in the 80's ran small housing's that ran the fuel pumps for the TPI engines. I had one in my 71 back in the mid 80's. It worked fine.
As stated though they make these now for about anything. If you have the welding talent to build a small enclosure go for it. Put a return line in it and a ride.
These aftermarket kits are crazy $$$. They moved them to under the hood for whatever reason. They put all these gauges in them for who to see while driving it.

I'd rather have them in the tank myself over all.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:45 PM   #7
WS7z

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
I don't know about what you read that said (terrible reviews about in-line pumps overheating and leaving you stranded)...but ive been running a inline pump on mine for about 8yrs and 30k miles now ...no issues
Care to share what pump you are using and where/how it is mounted? Are you running supply and return from the pump up to the intake on the LQ9?
WS7z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:13 PM   #8
Ziegelsteinfaust

People have taken stock sending units out, and spliced in a electric fuel pump in. Some of the people I seen do it online get a old fuel pump sending unit from the junk yard to hybrid with there sending unit.

The only other thing is you have to add a return line since most fuel injection kits, and factory pieces are designed for it.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 11:11 AM   #9
HomerJ

Others have done this before me, but I got the Holley 12-130 fuel pump kit with hydramat.

I made my own fuel pump hanger out of 3/8 stainless fuel line, as the included aluminium one was not long enough to get the pickup to the bottom of the tank.

I have not started the engine since putting the Sniper on, so can't say whether it's leak-free or not...
Attached Images