The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-16-2014, 08:41 AM   #1
BrianG

Brake Hoses

I am going to need to extend out my front and back brake hoses on my 69 K10 with disc brakes. So, it really would be more like a 71-72 K10 setup. I have all the stock hoses on it right now. I have about 5" of lift (4" Skyjacker Softride and 1" ORD zero rate). I am looking for suggestions for economical yet reliable hoses.
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:48 AM   #2
CUSTOM/10

Re: Brake Hoses

Hey Brian;

Not sure what you consider to be economical but I just ordered all new SS braded flex hoses for my 72 with a 2.5" lift from Inline Tube. I'm also putting disc brakes all around, so I went with 10 mm banjo fittings for new style calipers. It was about $200. They may not know all the stock lengths of hoses, so you may want to measure yours and have an idea how much longer you need the new ones. You can jack up your truck, ( Letting the axle droop ) and measure what you need leaving a little extra so the hoses never get pulled tight.

Gary

My 72 SWB Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=259859
CUSTOM/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:13 AM   #3
BrianG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUSTOM/10 View Post
Hey Brian;

Not sure what you consider to be economical but I just ordered all new SS braded flex hoses for my 72 with a 2.5" lift from Inline Tube. I'm also putting disc brakes all around, so I went with 10 mm banjo fittings for new style calipers. It was about $200. They may not know all the stock lengths of hoses, so you may want to measure yours and have an idea how much longer you need the new ones. You can jack up your truck, ( Letting the axle droop ) and measure what you need leaving a little extra so the hoses never get pulled tight.

Gary
I'll check Inline Tube out. I have heard them mentioned on this board before.

One solution that I was looking at was the Skyjacker ones. "Skyjacker (FBL16) 3"- 4" Stainless Steel Brake Line - Pair" They are available in a pair (the FBL16) or singular (RBL12) They sell for about $105 for the front pair and around $45 or $50 for the back. They have an option for either the 2(3) - 4" lift or 6 - 8" lift. I've got the stock brake hoses now with a 4" lift. I've never had an issue with them. I'm wondering if the 6 - 8" hoses would maybe be too long. I'd have about $160 into these, but wondered if there was an even cheaper alternative. I don't really need the braided stainless hoses.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:30 AM   #4
CUSTOM/10

There are lots of places you can get the stuff you need. I didn't shop around, I was ordering SS brake tubing and some other stuff so I just added the hoses in knowing I was going to need them soon.

I'm sure you can do better price wise, I just threw it out to you because I just ordered them, they’re getting delivered today

My 72 SWB Build
Old 05-16-2014, 11:09 AM   #5
dieseldawg142

have skyjacker 8" brake lines on my crew.
$160 is nothing really when you consider it's whats stopping you. you really dont want to cheap out on b.lines.
the braided stainless lines will take way more use & abuse than rubber, & they will give your brakes a better more consistant feel i found
if you buy f&r lines, i got banjo's & brake block with mine
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:31 AM   #6
BrianG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldawg142 View Post
have skyjacker 8" brake lines on my crew.
$160 is nothing really when you consider it's whats stopping you. you really dont want to cheap out on b.lines.
the braided stainless lines will take way more use & abuse than rubber, & they will give your brakes a better more consistant feel i found
if you buy f&r lines, i got banjo's & brake block with mine
Sorry, I don't want to sound ignorant, but I think I will anyhow....

"if you buy f&r lines, i got banjo's & brake block with mine"

What do you mean? :-)

The banjo end is what would be stock with a disk brake setup correct? I have a stock brake line setup now, would the skyjacker hoses work as is, or would I have to add additional parts?
Old 05-16-2014, 11:47 AM   #7
CUSTOM/10

The banjo or your final connection to the calipar changed around 79 to a 10 mm banjo type connection ( This is the fitting at the calipar end of your flex hose ). Prior to that I believe the connection was 7/16 ? If your calipars are stock, you would have the 7/16.

My 72 SWB Build
Old 05-16-2014, 11:57 AM   #8
CUSTOM/10

So basically you need to know what connection is on the calipers that your going to use and match the flex hose to that !

My 72 SWB Build
Old 05-16-2014, 04:19 PM   #9
OrrieG

Mine is 74K10 axles on 59 springs and frame. I delt directly with Russell and found that the K10 set for a 4" lifted truck would work. I just told him what calipers and rear axle I had and confirmed the size of the end fittings.

SS braided for $120 from Summitt for two front and 1 back bolted right up. That included speed bleeders too.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:57 PM   #10
mjensen

I went to my local hose shop and just had them build me a set of front and a new rear hose for $80. I have switched mine from front drums to discs, but I made a major measuring mistake though on my fronts, so now I have to have longer ones made...or put them in the brake line stretcher

'69 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 Build Thread
mjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:43 AM   #11
BrianG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUSTOM/10 View Post
The banjo or your final connection to the calipar changed around 79 to a 10 mm banjo type connection ( This is the fitting at the calipar end of your flex hose ). Prior to that I believe the connection was 7/16 ? If your calipars are stock, you would have the 7/16.
Great info to know! Thank you!