The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2022, 10:10 AM   #26
SCOTI

Re: One Piece Window Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutone View Post
Back in to middle 90s when "street rodding" was popular, body mods like the one piece windows and v-butted windshields was what everybody was doing. I built a 38 Chevy coupe. I don't have a before shot of this car on my phone, so instead I will post a Google photo of one and one of the finished car. The doors on a 37-38 have a slight compound bend to them. The moment I cut out the vent window structure, I opened a "pandora's box" of trouble. I started with the pass side and cut and welded, fitted, cut and welded some more. The tracks were off a slight amount from side to side. The vent windows were designed to make the curve in the door less of a problem. Air flow sucked, They always had a little wind noise but they turned out ok. As good as I could hope for, I guess. Probably 80 hours total on both doors. Cost was -0- as I did it all, made a glass pattern and had door glasses cut. I won't do it again but when you get there, post pictures.
I would have thought the 'wind noise' would have been reduced vs the vent windows. That sucks to read....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkt1954 View Post
OLD ROCK&ROLLER- I'm really leaning toward one piece products for my windows. The reason is they do not have the little filler plate for the bottom from corner like brother's has.
When I talked to them they take about 4-5 weeks to get, I'm going to wait till I get closer with final assembly to order (cab just made it to the paint shop to get the firewall, jams and interior painted). Maybe is Christmas doesn't break the bank, I might order after the first of the year.
Seems like pre-fitting things for the doors (prior to any paint/body work) would be a good idea based on the issues noted within this thread. That would allow the opportunity to make any tweaks deemed necessary.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 11:29 AM   #27
OLDROCK&ROLLER

[QUOTE=lkt1954;9154680]OLD ROCK&ROLLER- I'm really leaning toward one piece products for my windows. The reason is they do not have the little filler plate for the bottom from corner like brother's has.
When I talked to them they take about 4-5 weeks to get, I'm going to wait till I get closer with final assembly to order (cab just made it to the paint shop to get the firewall, jams and interior painted). Maybe is Christmas doesn't break the bank, I might order after the first of the year.[/QUOT

I would definitely get the ones without the front wedge. Mine cracked the paint on
both doors. Know what you mean about Christmas, everything’s out of site. Good luck with your windows. Other than the cracked paint I have enjoyed mine.
Old 12-23-2022, 12:19 PM   #28
kxmotox247

I seem to remember reading a long time ago that one of drawbacks (to at least one of the kits) was when the window was halfway down it was really loose in the opening and had quite a bit of in/out movement. Following this discussion for any recent updates.
kxmotox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 05:47 PM   #29
roboticjunky

After 5 months, I finally received my one piece window kit from Brothers (Holley), but probably won't be putting them in anytime soon. I have other things I need to work on.
roboticjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 12:29 AM   #30
lkt1954

This is week 4 on my windows from one piece products. I'm calling them tomorrow to see what kind of answer I get. At order time it said allow 4 weeks............
lkt1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 12:50 AM   #31
Accelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54blackhornet View Post
I guess you have never seen what a 17 year old can do with a welder ?
I LAMO.
I had a friend in High School that cut a hole, for the radio, in his 56 Ford truck with a hammer and a screwdriver.
Accelo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 09:27 PM   #32
Extended Power

April would have been one year of having the one piece window kit BACKORDERED from Brothers Truck. (Now Holley)
When Jason posted on FB, that he had kits ready to ship, I jumped on it.
I cancelled my order with Brother’s Truck, a couple days later. (Still said about two months out.)
I have Vanatta Fabrication’s (Jason) Mustang mirrors in my truck, and where they are located on the door, puts the passenger side mirror dead center of the vent window pillar.
So, I want them for the being able to use the mirror.
The one piece window kit is sitting at the border, waiting for me to pick them up.
I will be getting the mirrors, and the little filler piece from the kit, color matched to my truck.
Extended Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 02:12 PM   #33
ghackett1
68 C10 Longbed

Since I live in South Florida and don’t have AC I have to say that I love the vent windows. I open the floor vents and the door vent windows, aim them at me and I’m good. If it was the other way around and I have AC or added it in the future I might consider it. But I also prefer for the look of the vent windows.
I don’t know which company, etc. would be better, just keep asking and googling reviews.
ghackett1 is offline   Reply With Quote