The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2006, 08:38 PM   #1
tom71
what happened to flint mi

kp components weld in step notch

has anyone used this kit? how low does it go , was it hard to install ? any advice would be great thanks
tom71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 07:50 PM   #2
Damian

Thumbs up Re: kp components weld in step notch

No, not yet, i plan to get the triangulated 4 link from them. every one i know never had any thing bad to say about them. I say go with it
Damian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 10:36 PM   #3
Film Guy

Re: kp components weld in step notch

I ordered one today. The guy @ kp componets is real nice. I spoke to him for quite a while. I will let you guys know what I find. Good or bad. All looks good so far.
Film Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:36 PM   #4
r0lf-
Hotwheels?

KP is defnintely known for quality. You should have no problems, and if you do, call em. They will definitely take care of you.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:51 PM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Film Guy
I ordered one today. The guy @ kp componets is real nice. I spoke to him for quite a while. I will let you guys know what I find. Good or bad. All looks good so far.
Man..... that sucks for me then.

I've tried calling them (3x during business hrs) & have sent e-mail (1x so far w/no response). I then tried to contact a distributor for them & haven't heard back from him either!

At this rate, I'm afraid of what would happen if something didn't go right..... How hard would they be to contact then? I'm going to try the distributoor again tomorrow since he's supposed to be open from 10 ~ 5 on Sat's.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 02:40 PM   #6
tom71
what happened to flint mi

ive been e mailing clint hes a nice guy and im gonna be getting the notch from him hes been helpful with questions i had have you guys seen his truck? its on the cover of the jan 2006 classic trucks mag the worlds baddest c 10 is what he calls it and well it pretty much is .
scott are you sure your e mail went thru , maybe it went to spam at his end?
tom71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:13 PM   #7
fletch4x4

I had a great expirence with kp. Some of my parts "fell out" thanks to ups shipping. Clint had the missing parts sent out right away and i didnt pay an extra dime. Great business and business man. I would definatly do business with them again.

best of luck
Old 02-11-2006, 10:49 PM   #8
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom71
ive been e mailing clint hes a nice guy and im gonna be getting the notch from him hes been helpful with questions i had have you guys seen his truck? its on the cover of the jan 2006 classic trucks mag the worlds baddest c 10 is what he calls it and well it pretty much is .
scott are you sure your e mail went thru , maybe it went to spam at his end?
My IP source says it made it through but doesn't distinguish if it was read or not.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 02-13-2006, 12:56 PM   #9
Kontrol Phreaks

Scott

Try sending the email over again. I personally check and respond to all the incoming tech emails. Or you can PM me your number and I will give you a call and see what you're working on and if I can answer any of your questions.
We have 3 sales people in the office who answer the phone, and if they're gone to lunch, or busy on another call we do have an answering machine.
Either try calling us back or emailing me again.

Clint Petree
KP Components Inc.
866-KP-LINKS
Kontrol Phreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 01:04 PM   #10
Kontrol Phreaks

Here are some images of a 69 C10 that I built for a customer when I had my old shop. This truck is laid out on 22" wheels and uses KP Components brackets all the way around. Here is how our rear 60-72 Step Notch kit looks installed. You can see how the notch is designed to match the contour of the factory frame rails. It also has our Under the Bed floor kit installed off the front of the axle tube to locate the airbags. I went ahead and relocated the shocks off the back of the rearend, and had to shorten the pan hard bar as well.
If you have any questions about the truck, or parts used, please feel free to post them here. Or you can PM me and I will get the information over to you.

Clint Petree
KP Components
866-KP-LINKS

Old 02-13-2006, 01:13 PM   #11
Kontrol Phreaks

Here is my personal C10 that I've been working on for several years now. It was on the cover of Classic Trucks Magazine cover in it's bare metal finish. I'm going to make a post in the introduction page, that way I can properly introduct myself, my projects, my experiences, and my passion for trucks.

Thanks

Clint Petree

Old 02-13-2006, 08:32 PM   #12
SCOTI

Clint . . .... First, welocme to the board. Second, thanks for personally replying to my issue @ hand. Third, that truck is pretty freakin' sweet. Awesome design & execution from pics that I've seen. I would love to see it in person one of these days.

I was trying to contact you to basically see what gauge material you use for your 4-link kits (bolt-on & weld-on) & I was also curious about load bearing capabilities (I like to use my trucks as trucks)?

I currently tow my 18ft car hauler w/my lowered (bagged) 68 & need to prep my 74 for the same duties. I'm looking for something that gets it low but can still tow (hey.... that rhymes). I know air over leaf is the easiest route but I don't care for the spring hop that's associated w/that set-up once you start adding more power.

I don't have my cell & I'm still @ work so I'll check back here in a bit or try & call tomorrow. Thanks again. . ......
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 02-15-2006, 10:02 AM   #13
pharcydekm

Clint your truck is sick! I hope to get mine to that point sometime in my lifetime! At the rate I'm going I'm gonna have to will it to my daughter and hope she finishes lol! Anyway welcome to the board and please keep the pics coming. Inspiring!!
pharcydekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 10:07 PM   #14
Film Guy

Hi Guys, I got my notch in from KP last Thursday. Everything looks very good and was packaged very well. I have not installed yet. I have only checked for fit and the notch appears as though it will work fine. Unfornatually since the notch came in, we have had sub freezing tempatures, and sleet. My project sits outside for now. I will let you know how the install goes after the chassis thaws. I can already see a couple of issues that need to be addressed. These issues have nothing to do with the notch I got from KP. I would have these issues with any notch. First of all once I set the chassis @ ride height and place the rear axel @ ride height how much clearance is needed from the top of the axel tube to the bottom of the notch. Keep in mind the more clearance I provide, the more I loose in the bed. Next, If I weld in the notch centered with the axel tube, I kinda get into the area where the air bag rides. (The stock coil spring location) Which brings me to another issue. According to the Air Ride Technology catalog, I need the installed height of the air bag to be 5 inches. I think this is the measurement between the top of the rear trailing arm (@ the bag location) and the bottom of the chassis when @ ride height. I do not have that right now. I am sure someone has addressed these issues before. Thanks in advance for everyones help.
Film Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 10:54 PM   #15
project76

I have the KP components notch installed on my truck. Even though it was my first time doing any frame work, it went rather smooth. The kit was very well made and i would buy it again if i do another truck. If i had to find a downside it would be the height of the notch. I want my truck to lay out, but the axle tube hits the top of the notch before the frame lays out. I think you will be very happy with the kit. I am mounting my bags off the rear, not in the stock location. Simply because it will not lay out with them in thge stock location.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:28 PM   #16
BigShoe24
True Addiction

I just got off the phone with Clint from KP, seems to be a great guy, really into what he does witch always is a plus. I've seen plenty of pictures to determine that this is a great looking step-notch. This will be my first time installing a step-notch, so any tips would be appreciated. Thanks guys
BigShoe24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 10:34 PM   #17
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontrol Phreaks
Here are some images of a 69 C10 that I built for a customer when I had my old shop.
KP, check your PM's.
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:30 PM   #18
Kontrol Phreaks

Sorry I've been absent from this thread for a week or so, I've just been overwhelmed with sales and marketing work here at the shop. But now I'm back to catch up to speed on what's been going on, and see if I can provide any help.

Thank you all for the postive comments on my personal ride, along with the picture of C10's that I have built for customers.

Clint

Last edited by Kontrol Phreaks; 02-23-2006 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:43 PM   #19
Kontrol Phreaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI
I was trying to contact you to basically see what gauge material you use for your 4-link kits (bolt-on & weld-on) & I was also curious about load bearing capabilities (I like to use my trucks as trucks)?
Scott

All of our kits are made from 3/16 and 1/4 material, and all our bars are made from DOM tubing. If you decide to go with a bolt-on system, then we provide you with all new grade 8 mounting hardware, busings, shocks, and u-bolts.
All of our weld on kits are made from the same material listed above, but they ofcourse don't come with mounting hardware, because the welder wount fit in the box, or the budget ...

When it comes to towing capabilities, the cantilever system will come into play. Since the bags are mounted on the cantilever bars, which are in turn suspended off the rear frame rail, there will be a good amount of stress put through the rear frame and notch area. Basically because all the rear weight will be carried and transfered through that particular area. You can carry a load in the truck bed, and tow a small trailer, however I wouldn't recommend a large car trailer. Simpy because you're going to be adding a fair amount of tongue weight to the back of the truck, which in turns adds to the amount of load transfered through the notch section.
If the rear frame area were to be boxed in, and had a weld-in notch and crossmembers, then it would be a different story. You'd defiantely want to beefy us the frame area if you decided to do some serious towing on a cantilever system.

Another area to look into would be a bolt-on 4 link with the bags over the axle setup. That way you can run with a trailer and get a good set of sleeve bags that are rated fore the weight and will give you plenty of bag stroke to get the ride and lift you're looking for.
Please email me directly if you are intereted in more information or help with the project.
clint@kpcomponents.com

Clint Petree
KP Components Inc.
www.kpcomponents.com
Old 02-23-2006, 02:02 PM   #20
Kontrol Phreaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShoe24
I just got off the phone with Clint from KP, seems to be a great guy, really into what he does witch always is a plus. I've seen plenty of pictures to determine that this is a great looking step-notch. This will be my first time installing a step-notch, so any tips would be appreciated. Thanks guys

First off you want to make sure the truck is firmly secured on jack stands. Then make sure you have plenty of support in front of the area to be cut, as well as behind the area as well. You can either use jack stands or tack weld some frame supports to the back of the frame rails in this situation. Makre sure to throughly clean the frame area where your going to be working, so you can make your points clearly, and have a clean surface to weld to. ( Putty knife yo scrape debris off followed paint thinner on a rag worked good for me)
You can jack the rearend up to the bottom of the frame rail to help you find where the center of the is going to be once the truck starts to come down. Mark your center line on the frame because this will help you center the notch. Next mark the center of the notch side plate. With the center line marked, place on the the side of the frame, line up the center marks and clamp in place. Repeat that when doing the inside plate. Once you have it set, double check your measurements and weld her in. You can then add the top plate and weld it in.
Next step over and repeat the process on the other side. Find a factory frame hole and measure to make sure that the notchs are the same from side to side. You can use the bed mounting holes if you want to, and you can also us the back of the frame rails. Make sure everything is weld in solid before you cut the centers out. I like to have one notch center completely done before I start the other one.

Hope this will give you some ideas or pointers when it comes to installing the notch. If you have any other questions you can always email me directly and I'll do my best to help them.

Clint Petree
KP Components Inc.
www.kpcomponents.com
Old 02-23-2006, 11:15 PM   #21
bagged74
its just $$$$$

is this big of a notch necessary if mounting the bags in the stock coil location? I guess my question really is how much notch do you have left when the bag is fully compressed while mounted in the stock location? I want to et my blazer pretty low, but dont want any more notch sticking inside the body than is absolutely necessary.
bagged74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:53 AM   #22
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

here's my frame with bags in stock location(flat).with the box on as well.There's about 1/8" clearance in the 2.5" notch I made.obviously not a blazer though.
Attached Images

'66 long step (parked till it's turn comes around)
'65 short step (parts truck that will donate it's bed and possibly frame to the '66)
'06 Grand Prix wife's car (she hardly lets me touch it)
my pics
Rollie396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 01:21 AM   #23
jlaird

Clint, what size is the notch? It looks like around a 8". You should put this info in the product description on the website.

Thanks,
Josh
jlaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 01:45 AM   #24
Kontrol Phreaks

Thanks for bringing that to my attention, I'll put all the step notch info on the website next week. And yes it's right at the industry standard of 8 inches.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:36 AM   #25
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged74
is this big of a notch necessary if mounting the bags in the stock coil location? I guess my question really is how much notch do you have left when the bag is fully compressed while mounted in the stock location? I want to et my blazer pretty low, but dont want any more notch sticking inside the body than is absolutely necessary.
The third member will bang the body tub before you even get to a c-notch (like the CPP bolt-in c-notch).
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote